No communication

Muppetwalk

No communication
Hi

I hope someone can help as I have been trying to sort this problem out since
last Wednesday.

I have a Compaq Presario desktop pc which runs on Windows XP using a
Wireless USB adapter which connects to the internet via a BT Home Hub which
is in a different room. This desktop is hardwired to my Lexmark 6250 printer
- there are no problems either connecting to the internet or printing.

Last week I bought a Samsung R40 Plus laptop which runs on Windows Vista
Home Premium and connects wirelessly to the internet via the BT Home Hub - I
also have no trouble with this connecting to the internet.

The problem is that I only have one printer (and want to keep it that way)
which as explained is in another room. I have set up a home network and when
I click on the Network and Sharing Centre I have the following enabled:
Network discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing (read only), Printer
sharing and Media Sharing. Password protected sharing is off.

I have installed the LLTD responder on the XP desktop pc as it wasn't
showing up on the Vista laptop when I clicked on Network Map. The XP pc now
shows up but when I try and use the printer for instance I still get a
dialogue box saying that it can't communicate with the desktop pc.

I have tried so many help solutions from different forums that I can't
remember what I've tried and haven't.

Would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as
all I want to do is have both computers communicating and able to print.

Many thanks
Mick Murphy

RE: No communication

Have a read of the above link.
Have you tried adding the printer from Vista's network and sharing?
By clicking on Add a Network device, and browsing for the XP's printer?

"Muppetwalk" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I hope someone can help as I have been trying to sort this problem out since
> last Wednesday.
>
> I have a Compaq Presario desktop pc which runs on Windows XP using a
> Wireless USB adapter which connects to the internet via a BT Home Hub which
> is in a different room. This desktop is hardwired to my Lexmark 6250 printer
> - there are no problems either connecting to the internet or printing.
>
> Last week I bought a Samsung R40 Plus laptop which runs on Windows Vista
> Home Premium and connects wirelessly to the internet via the BT Home Hub - I
> also have no trouble with this connecting to the internet.
>
> The problem is that I only have one printer (and want to keep it that way)
> which as explained is in another room. I have set up a home network and when
> I click on the Network and Sharing Centre I have the following enabled:
> Network discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing (read only), Printer
> sharing and Media Sharing. Password protected sharing is off.
>
> I have installed the LLTD responder on the XP desktop pc as it wasn't
> showing up on the Vista laptop when I clicked on Network Map. The XP pc now
> shows up but when I try and use the printer for instance I still get a
> dialogue box saying that it can't communicate with the desktop pc.
>
> I have tried so many help solutions from different forums that I can't
> remember what I've tried and haven't.
>
> Would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as
> all I want to do is have both computers communicating and able to print.
>
> Many thanks

Muppetwalk

RE: No communication
Hi

Many thanks for replying so soon. I have followed the above link and
nothing seems to have improved. Under network I get the name of the desktop
pc but when I click on it all that opens is Windows Media Player with some
sample tracks.

When I click on Show all computers in the same work group on the XP desktop
an audible beep is heard and nothing happens.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have a read of the above link.
> Have you tried adding the printer from Vista's network and sharing?
> By clicking on Add a Network device, and browsing for the XP's printer?
>
> "Muppetwalk" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I hope someone can help as I have been trying to sort this problem out since
> > last Wednesday.
> >
> > I have a Compaq Presario desktop pc which runs on Windows XP using a
> > Wireless USB adapter which connects to the internet via a BT Home Hub which
> > is in a different room. This desktop is hardwired to my Lexmark 6250 printer
> > - there are no problems either connecting to the internet or printing.
> >
> > Last week I bought a Samsung R40 Plus laptop which runs on Windows Vista
> > Home Premium and connects wirelessly to the internet via the BT Home Hub - I
> > also have no trouble with this connecting to the internet.
> >
> > The problem is that I only have one printer (and want to keep it that way)
> > which as explained is in another room. I have set up a home network and when
> > I click on the Network and Sharing Centre I have the following enabled:
> > Network discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing (read only), Printer
> > sharing and Media Sharing. Password protected sharing is off.
> >
> > I have installed the LLTD responder on the XP desktop pc as it wasn't
> > showing up on the Vista laptop when I clicked on Network Map. The XP pc now
> > shows up but when I try and use the printer for instance I still get a
> > dialogue box saying that it can't communicate with the desktop pc.
> >
> > I have tried so many help solutions from different forums that I can't
> > remember what I've tried and haven't.
> >
> > Would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as
> > all I want to do is have both computers communicating and able to print.
> >
> > Many thanks

picoHat

RE: No communication
Since your desktop is hardwired to Lexmark 6250 printer, you need to enable
printer sharing on desktop, so that the other computers can access the shared
printer.

How to Share Printer in Windows XP
http://www.home-network-help.com/share-printer.html

You can type \\desktop-IP on labtop's browser to access desktop's shared
folder and printer later.

Hope helps..