two Vista Machines can not talk

Carpetking

two Vista Machines can not talk
Hi there,

We have two Vista 'Home' machines that are both part of the same work group.
They both can see each other. In other words, when we go out to the network
on either machine, both can be seen.

On the machine in our 'Front Room', I can see that machine and the one in my
office from the Network administration. When I hit the 'Office' PC from the
'Front Room' it prompts me for a user ID and password. I can then open up the
folders and files on the 'C' drive of the 'Office' PC.

When sitting at the 'Office' pc, I can see both that PC and the one in the
'Front Room' from Network administration. But, I can not see the 'C' drive or
anything else. When I double click on the 'Front Room' pc I get a response
that says there is a problem communicating. When I click 'Diagnose' it thinks
for a while and then comes back saying it can not 'Diagnose' the problem. It
never prompts me for a user ID or password. Both machines have a user ID and
password established.

I have file and print sharing turned on, on both machines as well as their
'C' drives shared. Both have been cold booted and the problem still
continues. Any thoughts on why I can see and work with things from one
computer, but not the other? Help! Thanks! - Eric-
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: two Vista Machines can not talk
Assuming you know the 'Front Room' computer IP, what do you receive if using
net view \\'Front Room'IP command from Office?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Carpetking" <Carpetking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> We have two Vista 'Home' machines that are both part of the same work
> group.
> They both can see each other. In other words, when we go out to the
> network
> on either machine, both can be seen.
>
> On the machine in our 'Front Room', I can see that machine and the one in
> my
> office from the Network administration. When I hit the 'Office' PC from
> the
> 'Front Room' it prompts me for a user ID and password. I can then open up
> the
> folders and files on the 'C' drive of the 'Office' PC.
>
> When sitting at the 'Office' pc, I can see both that PC and the one in the
> 'Front Room' from Network administration. But, I can not see the 'C' drive
> or
> anything else. When I double click on the 'Front Room' pc I get a response
> that says there is a problem communicating. When I click 'Diagnose' it
> thinks
> for a while and then comes back saying it can not 'Diagnose' the problem.
> It
> never prompts me for a user ID or password. Both machines have a user ID
> and
> password established.
>
> I have file and print sharing turned on, on both machines as well as their
> 'C' drives shared. Both have been cold booted and the problem still
> continues. Any thoughts on why I can see and work with things from one
> computer, but not the other? Help! Thanks! - Eric-

Mick Murphy

RE: two Vista Machines can not talk

Have a read of the above.

"Carpetking" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We have two Vista 'Home' machines that are both part of the same work group.
> They both can see each other. In other words, when we go out to the network
> on either machine, both can be seen.
>
> On the machine in our 'Front Room', I can see that machine and the one in my
> office from the Network administration. When I hit the 'Office' PC from the
> 'Front Room' it prompts me for a user ID and password. I can then open up the
> folders and files on the 'C' drive of the 'Office' PC.
>
> When sitting at the 'Office' pc, I can see both that PC and the one in the
> 'Front Room' from Network administration. But, I can not see the 'C' drive or
> anything else. When I double click on the 'Front Room' pc I get a response
> that says there is a problem communicating. When I click 'Diagnose' it thinks
> for a while and then comes back saying it can not 'Diagnose' the problem. It
> never prompts me for a user ID or password. Both machines have a user ID and
> password established.
>
> I have file and print sharing turned on, on both machines as well as their
> 'C' drives shared. Both have been cold booted and the problem still
> continues. Any thoughts on why I can see and work with things from one
> computer, but not the other? Help! Thanks! - Eric-

Carpetking

RE: two Vista Machines can not talk
Hi there Everyone,

Well, once I deleted Norton anti virus from one machine and MacAfee from the
other, my network issues were resolved. I disabled both of their firewalls
first and this did not resolve my issue. But, removing their software
packages did. I will now be installing 'One Live' on both machines so that we
can do virus checking and backups on a regular basis.

Thank you everyone for your input.