xp - vista networking

ctfalguera@hotmail.com

xp - vista networking
Can sombody provide a solution to this problem?

Barb Bowman

Re: xp - vista networking
Please give a description of the problem you are having, along with
what NIC (wired, wireless? what brand, what driver?) and what you
are connecting to - router? direct to a broadband modem? AND, it
would probably help if you would post the text output of ipconfig
/all

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
LoneStar

Re: xp - vista networking

<ctfalguera@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191337960.917747.193020@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
> Can sombody provide a solution to this problem?

I can't, but agree with you. I have done everything correctly to get my XP
to access files from Vista, but no go. The only thing I didn't do was use
the SAME account name on both computers, but that shouldn't be necessary
(it's stupid). I can access Vista's Public Folder from XP and get printer
sharing -- this means that my network IS set up correctly, and Vista can
access all my XP files.

This is something Microsoft will not fix, because it's truly needed. XP and
ME shared beautifully, but since XP and Vista has problems, it's OUR fault
for being stupid.

Oh well............

Mick Murphy

Re: xp - vista networking

Vista sharing has been set up for what files and folders you put in Public
Folder.
Have a read of the above link.

"LoneStar" wrote:

> <ctfalguera@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1191337960.917747.193020@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
> > Can sombody provide a solution to this problem?
> >

> I can't, but agree with you. I have done everything correctly to get my XP
> to access files from Vista, but no go. The only thing I didn't do was use
> the SAME account name on both computers, but that shouldn't be necessary
> (it's stupid). I can access Vista's Public Folder from XP and get printer
> sharing -- this means that my network IS set up correctly, and Vista can
> access all my XP files.
>
> This is something Microsoft will not fix, because it's truly needed. XP and
> ME shared beautifully, but since XP and Vista has problems, it's OUR fault
> for being stupid.
>
> Oh well............

John

Re: xp - vista networking
I assume you enabled file sharing already in the endless Networking dialogs.

Here's something to check--literally. Go into the Vista Networking garbage
and find the Network Adapters dialog. Now open the Network adapter dialog
for the adapter you're using. Now click Properties, lower left. Be sure File
Sharing check box is checked. Let us know.

<ctfalguera@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191337960.917747.193020@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
> Can sombody provide a solution to this problem?

LoneStar

Re: xp - vista networking
Thanks Mick. Good info, but I'm trying in vain to set up a file sharing
process between my XP and Vista systems in addition to just Vista's Public
Folder (which does work).

I'll come across a solution some day, probably by accident, but for now I'm
OK with the Public Folder option. I just don't understand why the file
sharing has to be so complex with Vista. It was perfect in XP and ME.
Perhaps it's the security thing, and that's understandable.

Thanks again.

EW

> Vista sharing has been set up for what files and folders you put in Public
> Folder.
> Have a read of the above link.

LoneStar

Re: xp - vista networking

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> I assume you enabled file sharing already in the endless Networking

dialogs.

> Here's something to check--literally. Go into the Vista Networking garbage
> and find the Network Adapters dialog. Now open the Network adapter dialog
> for the adapter you're using. Now click Properties, lower left. Be sure

File
> Sharing check box is checked. Let us know.

But, as in my case, if the Public Folder can be shared, then the network
adapter settings should be fine, right? I think it's something in the
"permissions" area, or some crap like that. I've added all sort of Users in
Vista's network sharing scheme, but my XP still can't access Vista's marked
"shared" folders. But no worries!

EW