Networking wireless and wired without router

bwchaos

Networking wireless and wired without router
I need to network four computers, two of which are wired, one of which is
wired and wireless, and the other is wireless.

I've been doing some research...and I was wondering, can I use an 'ad hoc'
network to connect the three computers with wireless, then connect the other
computer via the network cable, and then make a bridge between the wired and
wireless networks on the computer with both cards?

Thanks in advance
Mick Murphy

RE: Networking wireless and wired without router
Buy a Wireless Router.

"bwchaos" wrote:

> I need to network four computers, two of which are wired, one of which is
> wired and wireless, and the other is wireless.
>
> I've been doing some research...and I was wondering, can I use an 'ad hoc'
> network to connect the three computers with wireless, then connect the other
> computer via the network cable, and then make a bridge between the wired and
> wireless networks on the computer with both cards?
>
> Thanks in advance

Barb Bowman

Re: Networking wireless and wired without router
You really should get a router to do this for lots of reasons,
including ease of use and security.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
bwchaos

Re: Networking wireless and wired without router
well, this is really only for one day to connect my friends' computers and
mine together for a LAN to share files and play games...so i wouldnt want to
spend money on a wireless router

is there any other way?
does the method i mentioned earlier likely to work at all?

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> You really should get a router to do this for lots of reasons,
> including ease of use and security.
>
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 01:22:00 -0700, bwchaos
> <bwchaos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to network four computers, two of which are wired, one of which is
> >wired and wireless, and the other is wireless.
> >
> >I've been doing some research...and I was wondering, can I use an 'ad hoc'
> >network to connect the three computers with wireless, then connect the other
> >computer via the network cable, and then make a bridge between the wired and
> >wireless networks on the computer with both cards?
> >
> >Thanks in advance

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Networking wireless and wired without router
yes, it should work, but gaming over wireless wont be a great
experience and file transfers will be slow. do any of your friends
have a router they can bring with them?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 06:44:02 -0700, bwchaos
<bwchaos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>well, this is really only for one day to connect my friends' computers and
>mine together for a LAN to share files and play games...so i wouldnt want to
>spend money on a wireless router
>
>is there any other way?
>does the method i mentioned earlier likely to work at all?
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> You really should get a router to do this for lots of reasons,
>> including ease of use and security.
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 01:22:00 -0700, bwchaos
>> <bwchaos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to network four computers, two of which are wired, one of which is
>> >wired and wireless, and the other is wireless.
>> >
>> >I've been doing some research...and I was wondering, can I use an 'ad hoc'
>> >network to connect the three computers with wireless, then connect the other
>> >computer via the network cable, and then make a bridge between the wired and
>> >wireless networks on the computer with both cards?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
bwchaos

Re: Networking wireless and wired without router
unfortunately not...

p.s. is gaming over wireless really that bad?

and i've used wireless with a router before and its not bad at all,
but is the difference between using and not using a router really that bad?
Barb Bowman

Re: Networking wireless and wired without router
If I was going to have a gaming LAN party, I'd use a router and
WIRED connections for speed and enjoyment. gaming over wifi ad hoc
would be the worst experience, in my opinion, that you could have.

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:26:01 -0700, bwchaos