New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

Ben Gilbert

New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot
I've discovered a pretty serious problem with one of the recently posted
updates that I thought I should share, in hopes that other people can avoid
my fate and the the powers that be will be notified and start working on a
fix.

Here's the story: I installed Windows Updates on September 14th, just after
Microsoft made available the following update on September 13th:
Atheros - Networking - Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T
Controller

Normally I don't hesitate to install hardware updates like this, but it
appears I need to be more careful. After I installed this one, my computer
would refuse to boot. It would load all the drivers successfully, which I
can tell if I turn on boot logging, since CRCDISK.SYS is the last thing
loaded. However, before the router's network light for the connected port
comes on, the machine locks up. I've left it in this state overnight before,
and while the hard disk light would blink once in a while, and the green boot
progress bar would move a tick every minute or, there was no indication that
it would ever finish booting.

What clued me into the fact that it was a network problem was the fact that
I could boot into safe mode, but not safe mode with network support, AND the
fact that power cycling my DSL router while the boot hang is occurring would
allow it to finish booting. Once it finishes booting, the network all works
fine.

Here are some of the relevant details of the new driver that causes the
problem:
Provider: Atheros
Driver Date: 8/30/2007
Driver Version: 2.4.7.4
Driver Files: \system32\DRIVERS\l160x86.sys

And here are the same details for the old driver that I have reverted to
which works properly:
Provider: Attansic
Driver Date: 11/15/2006
Driver Version: 1.0.560.11159
Driver Files: \system32\Attansic\L1\atcInst.dll
\system32\DRIVERS\atl01v32.sys

Here are the relevant specs of my configuration. Please don't hesitate to
ask me for more info if it would be helpful.
- ASUS P5B-E Motherboard
- Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller (built in)
- AMI BIOS version 1601, 7/13/2007
- Westell Versalink 327W DSL modem / router (supports wireless but
that's turned off) via Verizon Internet
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (stock clock speed)
- 2GB Memory at 800 MHz
- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
- Vista Ultimate build 6.0.6000 Build 6000

Apparently, Attansic has changed hands and now become Atheros, and clearly
the new driver is only slight related to the old one, based on the new
version numbers and files. Methinks some further testing of this driver is
in order.

Cheers,
Ben
Mick Murphy

RE: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

"Ben Gilbert" wrote:

> [...]
> - ASUS P5B-E Motherboard
> - Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller (built in)
> - AMI BIOS version 1601, 7/13/2007
> - Westell Versalink 327W DSL modem / router (supports wireless but
> that's turned off) via Verizon Internet
> - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (stock clock speed)
> - 2GB Memory at 800 MHz
> - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
> - Vista Ultimate build 6.0.6000 Build 6000
>
> Apparently, Attansic has changed hands and now become Atheros, and clearly
> the new driver is only slight related to the old one, based on the new
> version numbers and files. Methinks some further testing of this driver is
> in order.
>

> Cheers,
> Ben

Mick Murphy

RE: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot
It has been proven time and time again; never trust Microsoft for hardware
updates!

Always go to the hardware manufacturer's website to get the latest drivers

One other thing; in Windows Update, set it to Notify when updates are ready,
NOT auto update!
That way, you can see if you want the update, or not!

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> [...]
> > Driver Version: 1.0.560.11159
> > Driver Files: \system32\Attansic\L1\atcInst.dll
> > \system32\DRIVERS\atl01v32.sys
> >
> > Here are the relevant specs of my configuration. Please don't hesitate to
> > ask me for more info if it would be helpful.
> > - ASUS P5B-E Motherboard
> > - Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller (built in)
> > - AMI BIOS version 1601, 7/13/2007
> > - Westell Versalink 327W DSL modem / router (supports wireless but
> > that's turned off) via Verizon Internet
> > - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (stock clock speed)
> > - 2GB Memory at 800 MHz
> > - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
> > - Vista Ultimate build 6.0.6000 Build 6000
> >
> > Apparently, Attansic has changed hands and now become Atheros, and clearly
> > the new driver is only slight related to the old one, based on the new
> > version numbers and files. Methinks some further testing of this driver is

Ben Gilbert

RE: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot
Sound advice, Mick, thanks! I will definitely use the Notify option from
this point forward. Sure enough, if I go to the Asus website directly, the
newest network driver they have available is the earlier one, with no mention
of an "Atheros" driver whatsoever.

Ben

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> It has been proven time and time again; never trust Microsoft for hardware
> updates!
>
> Always go to the hardware manufacturer's website to get the latest drivers
>
> One other thing; in Windows Update, set it to Notify when updates are ready,
> NOT auto update!
> That way, you can see if you want the update, or not!

MSVictim52

Re: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

I too have the same problem; Couldn;t resolve;
Deleted the new drive from MS using unstall and delete from the device
drive menu;

on next reboot, it found the network adapter but I could not install
the old driver; It hangs;

How to install the old driver.

Thanks

--
MSVictim52
MSVictim52's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32312

http://forums.techarena.in

yanman

Re: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

MSVictim,

I had the same problem. I rolled back the driver in Safe Mode, but it
still locks on reboot. I googled around and found that you have to
clear the BIOS on the motherboard to fully correct the problem. Once I
cleared and reconfigured the BIOS, no problem.

Good luck!
Yanman

--
yanman
yanman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32362
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=827176

http://forums.techarena.in

MSVictim52

Re: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

I disabled and then enables LAN card; Didn't work. Reset the bios to
defaults; Didn't work.

I don't understand 'clear BIOS'. How to do?

Thanks,

--
MSVictim52
MSVictim52's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32312
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=827176

http://forums.techarena.in

yanman

Re: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

Here's how I fixed the problem on my ASUS P5B-E based system:

0) Booted system into the BIOS and recorded all settings

1) Booted my system - it took about 10 minutes, and seemed to go
fastest if I left the cable plugged into my router and then powered off
the router once the progress bar stopped moving on the Windows XP splash
screen. It should eventually boot no matter what, but mine took about
45 minutes in the worst case.

2) Downloaded and installed the latest Attansic drivers from the ASUS
Support site.

3) Downloaded and installed the latest BIOS from the ASUS suport site
(I'm not 100% sure this step is necessary, but if you want guaranteed
results, go ahead and install it).

4) Powered off the system and cleared RTC RAM per the instructions in
the manual (again, not 100% sure this is necessary):
a) With computer off, removed power cord
b) Removed onboard battery
c) Moved jumper cap to pins 2-3 on CLRTC jumper for 10 seconds
d) Moved jumper cap back to pins 1-2
e) Reinstalled battery
f) Plugged in and powered on computer
g) Hit <Del> key or <F1> key on error to enter BIOS setup
h) Reentered settings recorded in step 0

5) System should boot normally now. Make sure to hide the update from
Microsoft.

--
yanman
yanman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32362
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=827176

http://forums.techarena.in

mathews2010

Re: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

same problem for me..now that i recall it i did downlaod that vista
update...and i dont know..dont really want to reset cmos and all..but
i'll try

--
mathews2010

- ::Intel Quad Core (Q6600)::
- ::216BW Samsung::
- ::Nvidia 8400 GS::
- ::320 GB Seagate HDD::
- ::2 GB G.Skill (DDR 2 800) ::
- ::ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard...::
- ::Vista x64::
yanman

Re: New Atheros Ethernet Driver causes Windows to hang on boot

I've been running good for 2 weeks now, and the update has mysteriously
disappeared from the WU site.

BTW, resetting the BIOS is a hassle, but not that bad. Just go through
and write down all of your settings before clearing it.