word fails to read/save documents on SBS share from Vista desktop

Thomas Wakefield

word fails to read/save documents on SBS share from Vista desktop
Hi,
Wondering if anyone knows of a resolution for the below problem. I've
googled and found others with the problem but no one has an resolution.

From Windows Vista Utlimate workstations using Office 2003 SP3 to open and
then save a word document on a Windows 2003 R2 Small Business Server Basic
Edition file share. You can open & create documents OK however frequently
when you try and save the document the user is unable to save and receives
the follow error

"word failed reading from this file (filename), Please resotre the network
connection or replace the floppy disk and retry"

retrying doesn't work, so you click cancel and then receive

"Word has lost data to a bad network connection or missing floppy. Documents
relying on this data are going to be saved and then closed"

followed by

"word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want to
save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged. (C:\rescued
document.txt)"

Working from the workstations C: drive works without fault. No windows XP
workstations on the network experience the problem but all Vista workstations
do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290982 - sounds like it is similar however I
don't know how to "increase the range-locking settings for your network". Any
suggestions here would be great if you think it will resolve the problem.

Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 compatibility update KB926505 has been
installed on the SBS server.

This one has got me beat, is it a known problem and I'm looking in all the
wrong places? any suggsetions to resolve the issue? HELP!!!

Thanks

--
They have the Internet on computers now?
Thomas Wakefield

RE: word fails to read/save documents on SBS share from Vista desktop
I should also mention that while my gut feel is the problem is something to
do with opportunistic locking I can not disbale it due to the end user
requirement for Offline Files. As per
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264/en-us disabling opportunistic locking
on Vista causes offline files to fail.