networking XP and Vista

Bill H.

networking XP and Vista
Can't get it to work.

I've installed that little file on the XP computer to enable vista
discovery, shared the root of vista C with permissions set to all.
Configured vista to the same workgroup as the XP. Also turned off the
password requirements in vista.

I can see the XP in the vista full network map, but can't map a drive to the
XP. And in XP, I can see the vista, but can't access the drive "... not
accessible. The network path was not found."

Also, in win2k (on the same network), I can see the vista computer, but
trying to open it says "... not accessible. The network path was not found."

--
Bill

Chuck [MVP]

Re: networking XP and Vista
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:14:11 -0700, "Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote:

>Can't get it to work.
>
>I've installed that little file on the XP computer to enable vista
>discovery, shared the root of vista C with permissions set to all.
>Configured vista to the same workgroup as the XP. Also turned off the
>password requirements in vista.
>
>I can see the XP in the vista full network map, but can't map a drive to the
>XP. And in XP, I can see the vista, but can't access the drive "... not
>accessible. The network path was not found."
>
>Also, in win2k (on the same network), I can see the vista computer, but
>trying to open it says "... not accessible. The network path was not found."

The "... network path was not found." aka Error 53 is generally caused by an
inconsistent NetBT setting, or a personal firewall.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

A recent update to Internet Explorer is also causing some odd problems in
Windows Networking.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-security.html

And with Windows Vista, there are numerous challenges not present in older
operating systems.

We could look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and maybe diagnose
the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Ivan

RE: networking XP and Vista
I found out the following articles are useful, you might take a look if you
like:

Enabling Simple File Sharing in Windows Vista
http://www.home-network-help.com/sim...e-sharing.html

Password Protected File Sharing in Windows Vista
http://www.home-network-help.com/pas...e-sharing.html

Good luck...
Mick Murphy

RE: networking XP and Vista

Might help!

"Ivan" wrote:

> I found out the following articles are useful, you might take a look if you
> like:
>
> Enabling Simple File Sharing in Windows Vista
> http://www.home-network-help.com/sim...e-sharing.html
>
> Password Protected File Sharing in Windows Vista
> http://www.home-network-help.com/pas...e-sharing.html
>
> Good luck...

Mick Murphy

RE: networking XP and Vista