Vista ics wired wireless sharing

canalrun

Vista ics wired wireless sharing
Hello,
I have a wireless network using a DI-524 (D-link g router) and cable
modem. Upstairs I have two laptops that connect wirelessly; an XP and
a Vista. The XP laptop I will leave alone since it works fine now. The
Vista laptop also works great with the current wireless set up.

I would like to add a Security Camera DVR to this group. The DVR has
only an Ethernet connector (RJ45, no USB, etc.). It has a built in
mini web server. If I connect it to the Vista laptop's Ethernet, I can
access the DVR's "web page" without a problem.

The thing is I would like to view the DVR's web page via the Internet
while I am traveling. The problem is getting the DVR on my network. I
have set up dozens of web servers from within my lan, both Win and
Linux, so I am comfortable with opening ports in the router, etc.

I purchased a DWL-G820 (D-link gaming adapter) which was supposed to
be plug and play to convert any Ethernet device to wireless. Ha,
ha!!!. After spending more than 8 hours, the best I could do was two 5
second connections that died as soon as I loaded the DVR web page or
google.com.

Now finally my question ...
Theoretically I think I should be able to connect the Vista laptop
using its built in wireless to my wireless network (I already know
this works).

At the same time I should be able to connect the DVR directly or
through a switch (switch preferred. I have one lying around) to the
built in Ethernet port of the Vista Laptop (I also know this works).

(I bet you know where I am headed with this)
Now, I should be able to use Vista's (Home Premium) ICS or bridging to
give the DVR internet access. I tried this briefly, but gave up too
soon since I did not have enough experience with this.

Can anyone give me a few hints? Should this work? Do I want bridging
or ICS or both? Is it best to get both connections working
independently then ICS them or bridge them? My current lan subnet is
192.168.0.x, do I want to use this same subnet range for the DVR side
subnet or something else like 192.168.1.x?

Thanks you very much for any help.
Barry.

Mike.ONeal

RE: Vista ics wired wireless sharing
canalrun,

I am looking to do something similar and put up a post about 2 weeks ago
about using a Windows Vista computer as a Wireless Access Point (WAP). This
capability is in the Network and Sharing Center.

The problem that I'm having is that I can't find any information on how to
utilize WAP. The only information I can find that is even remotely connected
to it is Internet Connection Sharing and Network Bridging. In addition, most
of threads are for connecting XP and Vista. There is some very helpful
information from svAbhinava on 02 June 2007.

The application that you are attempting to do sounds fantastic, so Good
luck! Sorry I can't be of more help.
--
Mike O.

"canalrun" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a wireless network using a DI-524 (D-link g router) and cable
> modem. Upstairs I have two laptops that connect wirelessly; an XP and
> a Vista. The XP laptop I will leave alone since it works fine now. The
> Vista laptop also works great with the current wireless set up.
>
> I would like to add a Security Camera DVR to this group. The DVR has
> only an Ethernet connector (RJ45, no USB, etc.). It has a built in
> mini web server. If I connect it to the Vista laptop's Ethernet, I can
> access the DVR's "web page" without a problem.
>
> The thing is I would like to view the DVR's web page via the Internet
> while I am traveling. The problem is getting the DVR on my network. I
> have set up dozens of web servers from within my lan, both Win and
> Linux, so I am comfortable with opening ports in the router, etc.
>
> I purchased a DWL-G820 (D-link gaming adapter) which was supposed to
> be plug and play to convert any Ethernet device to wireless. Ha,
> ha!!!. After spending more than 8 hours, the best I could do was two 5
> second connections that died as soon as I loaded the DVR web page or
> google.com.
>
> Now finally my question ...
> Theoretically I think I should be able to connect the Vista laptop
> using its built in wireless to my wireless network (I already know
> this works).
>
> At the same time I should be able to connect the DVR directly or
> through a switch (switch preferred. I have one lying around) to the
> built in Ethernet port of the Vista Laptop (I also know this works).
>
> (I bet you know where I am headed with this)
> Now, I should be able to use Vista's (Home Premium) ICS or bridging to
> give the DVR internet access. I tried this briefly, but gave up too
> soon since I did not have enough experience with this.
>
> Can anyone give me a few hints? Should this work? Do I want bridging
> or ICS or both? Is it best to get both connections working
> independently then ICS them or bridge them? My current lan subnet is
> 192.168.0.x, do I want to use this same subnet range for the DVR side
> subnet or something else like 192.168.1.x?
>
> Thanks you very much for any help.
> Barry.

canalrun

Re: Vista ics wired wireless sharing
On Oct 2, 3:51 pm, Mike.ONeal <MikeON...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> canalrun,
>
> I am looking to do something similar and put up a post about 2 weeks ago
> about using a Windows Vista computer as a Wireless Access Point (WAP). This
> capability is in the Network and Sharing Center.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to my own question - I have also had
so much trouble finding anything but the most superficial information
for Vista's bridging and/or ICS. I did find one tutorial that nixxed
my idea (see way above) by googling for "ICS Secrets". According the
that info ICS wants to be first in line from the broadband connection
and it assigns itself a static IP of 192.168.0.1. I'd have to redo my
whole network - no thanks.

I also tried the DLink DWL-G820. That was an 8 hour fiasco. Back it
goes.

Then I bought a Buffalo Technologies WLI-TX4-G54HP. I know I sound a
little gushy right now, but I got the network set up in 10 minutes.
The manual was clear for both easy and complicated situations. This
unit extends your wireless g network and has a 4 port switch to plug
in wired devices.

My DVR and Vista laptop are plugged into the WLI-TX4 in the upstairs
room, it connects to my wireless router in the basement, which is
connected to a cable modem. Everything is on the same subnet
(192.168.0.x) and everyone has internet access.

HTH,
Barry.

Mike.ONeal

Re: Vista ics wired wireless sharing
Hey Canalrun,

Thanks for posting the info. I am not concerned about multiple subnets or
NICs. My idea is way out there anyway. I'm going to put the network on my
boat. There are so many resources on the internet that would be helpful
while I'm on. The only valid (and economical) internet connection will be
through Verizon Wireless Broadband. That is, if you can call $79 a month
economical. To spend that, I have to get a lot of usage out of it and
getting the wife's laptop to connect for email will definately help. I'll
connect to the broadband network with a PCMCIA card and then through a second
card (Ethernet or Wireless) deliver services to the rest of the network.

In concept, it should work and it seems like the tools are there. Just a
matter of fiddling with it until it works.
--
Mike O.