Windows 98 Attached Printers - Can't add network printer from Vist

Dave

Windows 98 Attached Printers - Can't add network printer from Vist
I have Vista Premium, and can not connect to my network printers. Both are
attached to a Windows 98 system. I can see the printers when trying to add a
new network printer but when I click on them I get a message stating windows
can not connect to the printer (0x00000866). I tried to add a local port with
the \\name\printer as one alert suggested but Vista states the printers are
already installed on the network. I can connect to other shares on the 98
printer server and transfer files back and forth, I have print sharing turned
on, I have the netbios setting default enabled like all of my other 4 systems
on the network running xp pro. They all work fine with the print server. I
have an old HP color deskjet that works great but it does not work with XP so
I can't move the printers to another system. I have tried LMhosts and Hosts
files also this does not seem to work either. I have a linksys wireless G 2.4
router doing my DHCP and DNS services. NBTSTAT on both systems sees each
other with all 3 listings. How do I get this to work?
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Windows 98 Attached Printers - Can't add network printer from Vist
You may want to add local printer first and then re-mp to win98. This link
may help.

Solved: Vista print Error 0x00000866Situation: Vista receives print Error
0x00000866 Resolution: 1. Add a Local Printer and then create a new port
pointing to the shared printer. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...35248 f8ce37a

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE