Unable to set up network with router

Confused

Unable to set up network with router
My husband I recently got two new laptops, both running Vista Home Premium.
I have a Toshiba Satellite and he has a Dell Inspirion. We are using a year
old Linksys 10/100 Ethernet hub. We have run the newwork wizard over and
over but can't get the computers to see eachother. We have set to private
and so on but see no way to connect via a hub instead of using wireless.
What are we doing wrong??
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Unable to set up network with router
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:29:01 -0700, Confused
<Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My husband I recently got two new laptops, both running Vista Home Premium.
>I have a Toshiba Satellite and he has a Dell Inspirion. We are using a year
>old Linksys 10/100 Ethernet hub. We have run the newwork wizard over and
>over but can't get the computers to see eachother. We have set to private
>and so on but see no way to connect via a hub instead of using wireless.
>What are we doing wrong??

Lack of visibility is a problem with Server Message Blocks. If by wireless, you
mean a WiFi router, check for "Isolation Mode" or "VLAN".
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

Also look for an inconsistent NetBT setting, or a personal firewall problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Or are you talking about an ad-hoc WiFi LAN, without a router? That's a tricky
setup, and not all WiFi equipment will do that with reliability.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/07/ad-hoc-networking.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...etworking.html

If no help yet, do some diagnostic work. Look at logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Mick Murphy

RE: Unable to set up network with router

Have a read of the above link.

"Confused" wrote:

> My husband I recently got two new laptops, both running Vista Home Premium.
> I have a Toshiba Satellite and he has a Dell Inspirion. We are using a year
> old Linksys 10/100 Ethernet hub. We have run the newwork wizard over and
> over but can't get the computers to see eachother. We have set to private
> and so on but see no way to connect via a hub instead of using wireless.
> What are we doing wrong??

Barb Bowman

Re: Unable to set up network with router
do you have a hub or a switch or a router? what is the model # of
this Linksys hardware? only a router can supply DHCP IP addresses.
what is the Linksys device connected to?

posting the complete text output of ipconfig /all from both
computers may help.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP