Internet connection problems - sometimes won't connect (confused)

Fiona

Internet connection problems - sometimes won't connect (confused)
Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of my dad who has recently bought a new computer with
Windows Vista Home Basic installed.

His internet (Virgin broadband) sometimes does not work. I am not familiar
with Vista. I myself connect to the internet fine through a wireless
connection. I have an XP laptop and all works fine. My father's computer is
not wireless - however he needs to turn the router on in order for his
connection to work because the internet cable comes from the Virgin TV box,
to the router and then into my dad's PC.

The problem is that occasionally my dad's internet drops offline and tends
to act a bit like a dial up - it keeps wanting to redial and sometimes it
won't.

Sometimes it just affects windows mail (which he uses for emails...) and
sometimes also stops him from connecting the the internet.

Why does it keep asking him to connect? Surely broadband should just
instantly connect? The Internet seems to be working fine now, but windows
mail won't connect!

I'm not familiar with Vista nor with windows mail or outlook as I used a web
based email service.

Any help appreciated - I'm just a little confused.

Cheers
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Internet connection problems - sometimes won't connect (confused)
It could be the incompatible issue. Check any new firmware for the router or
new driver for the NIC. This link may help too.

Vista incompatible issuesVista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or
routers may not compatible with Vista - Solutions: upgrade the firmware,
disable the IPv6, re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Fiona" <Fiona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking on behalf of my dad who has recently bought a new computer with
> Windows Vista Home Basic installed.
>
> His internet (Virgin broadband) sometimes does not work. I am not familiar
> with Vista. I myself connect to the internet fine through a wireless
> connection. I have an XP laptop and all works fine. My father's computer
> is
> not wireless - however he needs to turn the router on in order for his
> connection to work because the internet cable comes from the Virgin TV
> box,
> to the router and then into my dad's PC.
>
> The problem is that occasionally my dad's internet drops offline and tends
> to act a bit like a dial up - it keeps wanting to redial and sometimes it
> won't.
>
> Sometimes it just affects windows mail (which he uses for emails...) and
> sometimes also stops him from connecting the the internet.
>
> Why does it keep asking him to connect? Surely broadband should just
> instantly connect? The Internet seems to be working fine now, but windows
> mail won't connect!
>
> I'm not familiar with Vista nor with windows mail or outlook as I used a
> web
> based email service.
>
> Any help appreciated - I'm just a little confused.
>
> Cheers

Mick Murphy

RE: Internet connection problems - sometimes won't connect (confused)
Get him to change his email program to "windows live mail". Apparently it is
better then the default one that comes with Vista.