Unidentified Network in Vista

itguru

Unidentified Network in Vista

I've a cable internet connection at home. I bought a new laptop with
vista home premium and it gives 'unidentified network' and i'm not able
to connect to internet.
I've a PC,which runs XP, and it works fine. My ISP has given me a
static IP and i tried configuring it in vista and still it fails..

I just have a cable modem and i'm not aware of any other
settings..Please help

At times i get an error and error this IP is already in use by another
system in the network. No such problem is there in my PC which runs XP.
But this error is not consistent.

--
itguru
itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979

http://forums.techarena.in

mojopagoda

Re: Unidentified Network in Vista

Hi - I'm no expert, but have you tried setting the network adaptor to
have "automatic IP" and "automatic DNS". I think it could be that this
is your network card. I had an "unidentified network" prior to doing
this, and then alot of my other problems were solved also.

--
mojopagoda
mojopagoda's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31977
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

RE: Unidentified Network in Vista
How are you trying to hook the laptop to the internet?
And don't just say "with a modem".
EXACT details.

The error message saying that the IP Address is in use is correct, as it is
the same IP Address as the XP PC is using. If you were in a network the IP
address of each computer has to be different, otherwise how can they be
recognised as different workstations?

"itguru" wrote:

> I've a cable internet connection at home. I bought a new laptop with
> vista home premium and it gives 'unidentified network' and i'm not able
> to connect to internet.
> I've a PC,which runs XP, and it works fine. My ISP has given me a
> static IP and i tried configuring it in vista and still it fails..
>
> I just have a cable modem and i'm not aware of any other
> settings..Please help
>
> At times i get an error and error this IP is already in use by another
> system in the network. No such problem is there in my PC which runs XP.
> But this error is not consistent.
>

> --
> itguru
> itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

itguru

mojopagoda;3194288 Wrote:
> Hi - I'm no expert, but have you tried setting the network adaptor to
> have "automatic IP" and "automatic DNS". I think it could be that this
> is your network card. I had an "unidentified network" prior to doing
> this, and then alot of my other problems were solved also.

Still it dint work..

Mick Murphy;3194410 Wrote:
> How are you trying to hook the laptop to the internet?
> And don't just say "with a modem".
> EXACT details.
>
> The error message saying that the IP Address is in use is correct, as
> it is
> the same IP Address as the XP PC is using. If you were in a network the
> IP
> address of each computer has to be different, otherwise how can they
> be
> recognised as different workstations?
>
> "itguru" wrote:
>

> > I've a cable internet connection at home. I bought a new laptop with
> > vista home premium and it gives 'unidentified network' and i'm not

> able
> > to connect to internet.
> > I've a PC,which runs XP, and it works fine. My ISP has given me a
> > static IP and i tried configuring it in vista and still it fails..
> >
> > I just have a cable modem and i'm not aware of any other
> > settings..Please help
> >
> > At times i get an error and error this IP is already in use by

> another
> > system in the network. No such problem is there in my PC which runs

> XP.
> > But this error is not consistent.
> >

> > --
> > itguru

> > itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

All that i've at my home is a cable modem. and my network adapter is
connected via an ethernet cable to the modem..
regarding the ip conflict, i'm using the ip in my visa laptop after
disconnecting from the XP PC

Thanks
Aby

--
itguru
itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938

http://forums.techarena.in

itguru

Re: Unidentified Network in Vista

found out the simple solution from
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...stI D=1216473

--
itguru
itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unidentified Network in Vista
Thank you for the feedback. This troulbleshooting may help too.

Resolution of Vista Unidentified Network or Limited Connectivity

The Vista Unidentified Network or Limited Connectivity could be hardware,
TCP/IP configuration or security issues. The following are some resolutions.

http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/uni...irdnetwork.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"itguru" <itguru.2xoe7e@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> found out the simple solution from
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...stI D=1216473
>

> --
> itguru
> itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

IDSEng

RE: Unidentified Network in Vista
Many people have this problem. I had the same problem you are having and
worked on it for days. I am running a wireless network through an USR8054
with a Verizon DSL Modem. With or without the wireless router I had the "
unidentified Network" message with local service only. Here's how I fixed
the problem. I was running Norton Anti-Virus for VISTA and uninstalled it.
In Norton SymTDI Service blocks you from getting an IP through DCHP on any
router if running VISTA. Runs fine with XP, just not VISTA. Symantec has
posted no fix. The minute I uninstalled Norton everything worked great.

"itguru" wrote:

> I've a cable internet connection at home. I bought a new laptop with
> vista home premium and it gives 'unidentified network' and i'm not able
> to connect to internet.
> I've a PC,which runs XP, and it works fine. My ISP has given me a
> static IP and i tried configuring it in vista and still it fails..
>
> I just have a cable modem and i'm not aware of any other
> settings..Please help
>
> At times i get an error and error this IP is already in use by another
> system in the network. No such problem is there in my PC which runs XP.
> But this error is not consistent.
>

> --
> itguru
> itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unidentified Network in Vista
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

--

"IDSEng" <IDSEng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Many people have this problem. I had the same problem you are having and
> worked on it for days. I am running a wireless network through an USR8054
> with a Verizon DSL Modem. With or without the wireless router I had the "
> unidentified Network" message with local service only. Here's how I fixed
> the problem. I was running Norton Anti-Virus for VISTA and uninstalled
> it.
> In Norton SymTDI Service blocks you from getting an IP through DCHP on any
> router if running VISTA. Runs fine with XP, just not VISTA. Symantec has
> posted no fix. The minute I uninstalled Norton everything worked great.
>
> "itguru" wrote:
>

>> I've a cable internet connection at home. I bought a new laptop with
>> vista home premium and it gives 'unidentified network' and i'm not able
>> to connect to internet.
>> I've a PC,which runs XP, and it works fine. My ISP has given me a
>> static IP and i tried configuring it in vista and still it fails..
>>
>> I just have a cable modem and i'm not aware of any other
>> settings..Please help
>>
>> At times i get an error and error this IP is already in use by another
>> system in the network. No such problem is there in my PC which runs XP.
>> But this error is not consistent.
>>

>> --
>> itguru
>> itguru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31979
>> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=825938
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in

lodogg

Re: Unidentified Network in Vista

I found the resolution and it was very simple. After numerous tries and
nothing working with a variety of tips, I decided to try something and
it worked. I am also using calbe internet via ethernet cable. This was
where my problem lied. The wireless part worked fine through my Netgear
router. Resetting IP and default gateways did nothing so I decided to
uninstall the driver for my ethernet adapter, rebooted and installed
the driver again. It the was able to identify my router and connected
right away.

--
lodogg
lodogg's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=40195