Networking XP(SP2) to Vista Home Premium

Ualaa

Networking XP(SP2) to Vista Home Premium
Sometimes my computers can see each other fine on the network and access the
shared stuff on the other system. Sometimes only one computer can access the
other. Most of the time, neither computer can even see the other. This is
without changing any settings on either system.

More often then not, if they can see each other (or only one of them), it is
immediately after powering on both systems. I'm using a Linksys BEFSR81
switch, both computers are in the same workgroup, and either can access the
internet freely.

What has me stumped, is that sometimes they see each other and other times
they do not.
Mick Murphy

RE: Networking XP(SP2) to Vista Home Premium

hope it helps

"Ualaa" wrote:

> Sometimes my computers can see each other fine on the network and access the
> shared stuff on the other system. Sometimes only one computer can access the
> other. Most of the time, neither computer can even see the other. This is
> without changing any settings on either system.
>
> More often then not, if they can see each other (or only one of them), it is
> immediately after powering on both systems. I'm using a Linksys BEFSR81
> switch, both computers are in the same workgroup, and either can access the
> internet freely.
>
> What has me stumped, is that sometimes they see each other and other times
> they do not.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking XP(SP2) to Vista Home Premium
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:03:01 -0700, Ualaa <Ualaa@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Sometimes my computers can see each other fine on the network and access the
>shared stuff on the other system. Sometimes only one computer can access the
>other. Most of the time, neither computer can even see the other. This is
>without changing any settings on either system.
>
>More often then not, if they can see each other (or only one of them), it is
>immediately after powering on both systems. I'm using a Linksys BEFSR81
>switch, both computers are in the same workgroup, and either can access the
>internet freely.
>
>What has me stumped, is that sometimes they see each other and other times
>they do not.

You're probably suffering from a master browser conflict (I'm not discussing
Internet Explorer either). This is frequently caused by a NetBT setting, or a
personal firewall problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

We could maybe diagnose the problem, by looking at logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!) (note the use of admin mode, in Windows Vista):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Ualaa

Re: Networking XP(SP2) to Vista Home Premium
Ok, followed the links but not entirely sure how to do everything listed. To
rule out the Firewall settings, I disconnected my router from the internet
and then disabled the firewalls on both systems. Still could not see the
other computers.

Prior to Vista, I had XP (Sp 2) and Windows 98 (SE); each computer could see
the other without issue. With the new system, I've disconnected the 98
system from the network. How would I go about setting up the vista system to
dual boot with Windows 98? My copy of 98 is not being used on any system at
the moment.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking XP(SP2) to Vista Home Premium
On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:44:01 -0700, Ualaa <Ualaa@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Ok, followed the links but not entirely sure how to do everything listed. To
>rule out the Firewall settings, I disconnected my router from the internet
>and then disabled the firewalls on both systems. Still could not see the
>other computers.
>
>Prior to Vista, I had XP (Sp 2) and Windows 98 (SE); each computer could see
>the other without issue. With the new system, I've disconnected the 98
>system from the network. How would I go about setting up the vista system to
>dual boot with Windows 98? My copy of 98 is not being used on any system at
>the moment.

I'm not sure how to answer that question. Why would you want to do anything
with Windows 98? Try not to complicate things, and focus on Windows XP and
Vista.

Do some diagnostic work, using the logs I mentioned above.

--
Cheers,