Access Denied trying to access Vista PC

Ron

Access Denied trying to access Vista PC
Yesterday I had successfully set up my Vista PC to be accessed within my
LAN. I even had the Vista's C drive mapped to other PCs. Today when I try
to access it, I receive message that access is denied. I have turned off all
firewalls on the Vista PC to make sure that was not the problem. If I go
into workgroups, I can see my Vista PC but do not have access to the C drive.
I verified it is shared. I am able to access the public folder. I need to
access the Vistas C drive. I tried moving the C drive from the Vista PC to
the Public folder. Now when I open the Vista Public folder from another PC,
I can see the C drive except it shows the C drive folders of that PCs C
drive, not the Vista PCs C drive. Anyone know what the problem is?

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Access Denied trying to access Vista PC
I would double check the permissions. What do you have if you do net view
\\vistaname from other computer? Or this troubleshooting.

Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject:
How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday I had successfully set up my Vista PC to be accessed within my
> LAN. I even had the Vista's C drive mapped to other PCs. Today when I
> try
> to access it, I receive message that access is denied. I have turned off
> all
> firewalls on the Vista PC to make sure that was not the problem. If I go
> into workgroups, I can see my Vista PC but do not have access to the C
> drive.
> I verified it is shared. I am able to access the public folder. I need
> access the Vistas C drive. I tried moving the C drive from the Vista PC
> the Public folder. Now when I open the Vista Public folder from another
> PC,
> I can see the C drive except it shows the C drive folders of that PCs C
> drive, not the Vista PCs C drive. Anyone know what the problem is?

Ron

Re: Access Denied trying to access Vista PC
Where is Net view from another computer???
I had explained the view from workgroups. Is this what you mean?
The link you provided only talks about sharing and security settings. I had
already verified all of this?

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I would double check the permissions. What do you have if you do net view
> \\vistaname from other computer? Or this troubleshooting.
>
> Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject:
> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yesterday I had successfully set up my Vista PC to be accessed within my
> > LAN. I even had the Vista's C drive mapped to other PCs. Today when I
> > try
> > to access it, I receive message that access is denied. I have turned off
> > all
> > firewalls on the Vista PC to make sure that was not the problem. If I go
> > into workgroups, I can see my Vista PC but do not have access to the C
> > drive.
> > I verified it is shared. I am able to access the public folder. I need
> > access the Vistas C drive. I tried moving the C drive from the Vista PC
> > the Public folder. Now when I open the Vista Public folder from another
> > PC,
> > I can see the C drive except it shows the C drive folders of that PCs C
> > drive, not the Vista PCs C drive. Anyone know what the problem is?

Mick Murphy

RE: Access Denied trying to access Vista PC

Read towards the bottom.

"Ron" wrote:

> Yesterday I had successfully set up my Vista PC to be accessed within my
> LAN. I even had the Vista's C drive mapped to other PCs. Today when I try
> to access it, I receive message that access is denied. I have turned off all
> firewalls on the Vista PC to make sure that was not the problem. If I go
> into workgroups, I can see my Vista PC but do not have access to the C drive.
> I verified it is shared. I am able to access the public folder. I need to
> access the Vistas C drive. I tried moving the C drive from the Vista PC to
> the Public folder. Now when I open the Vista Public folder from another PC,
> I can see the C drive except it shows the C drive folders of that PCs C
> drive, not the Vista PCs C drive. Anyone know what the problem is?

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Access Denied trying to access Vista PC
"net view" is command line.

--

> Where is Net view from another computer???
> I had explained the view from workgroups. Is this what you mean?
> The link you provided only talks about sharing and security settings. I
> had
> already verified all of this?
>

> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> I would double check the permissions. What do you have if you do net view
>> \\vistaname from other computer? Or this troubleshooting.
>>
>> Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post
>> subject:
>> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote .
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yesterday I had successfully set up my Vista PC to be accessed within
>> > my
>> > LAN. I even had the Vista's C drive mapped to other PCs. Today when I
>> > try
>> > to access it, I receive message that access is denied. I have turned
>> > off
>> > all
>> > firewalls on the Vista PC to make sure that was not the problem. If I
>> > go
>> > into workgroups, I can see my Vista PC but do not have access to the C
>> > drive.
>> > I verified it is shared. I am able to access the public folder. I
>> > need
>> > access the Vistas C drive. I tried moving the C drive from the Vista
>> > PC
>> > the Public folder. Now when I open the Vista Public folder from
>> > another
>> > PC,
>> > I can see the C drive except it shows the C drive folders of that PCs C
>> > drive, not the Vista PCs C drive. Anyone know what the problem is?

Ron

Re: Access Denied trying to access Vista PC
When I Enter Net Stat I can see the Vista PC. I can also the shares folder
on the VistaPC vis Workgroup. My problem is I can't accrss the Vista C
drive. I get the non accessible message. I have turned sharing on for this
drive. Also gave everyone all access. Also on the security tab, allowed All
Access for all Group or User names.
On the Vista machine, I can see all of the XP machines hard drives that are
shared.

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> "net view" is command line.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Where is Net view from another computer???
> > I had explained the view from workgroups. Is this what you mean?
> > The link you provided only talks about sharing and security settings. I
> > had
> > already verified all of this?
> >

> > "Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> I would double check the permissions. What do you have if you do net view
> >> \\vistaname from other computer? Or this troubleshooting.
> >>
> >> Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post
> >> subject:
> >> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote .
> >> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Ron

RE: Access Denied trying to access Vista PC
Under Advanced Sharing I called the Share name "C". That is exactly what it
said to do in the link Mick sent. I still can't access it.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Read towards the bottom.
>
> "Ron" wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I had successfully set up my Vista PC to be accessed within my
> > LAN. I even had the Vista's C drive mapped to other PCs. Today when I try
> > to access it, I receive message that access is denied. I have turned off all
> > firewalls on the Vista PC to make sure that was not the problem. If I go
> > into workgroups, I can see my Vista PC but do not have access to the C drive.
> > I verified it is shared. I am able to access the public folder. I need to
> > access the Vistas C drive. I tried moving the C drive from the Vista PC to
> > the Public folder. Now when I open the Vista Public folder from another PC,
> > I can see the C drive except it shows the C drive folders of that PCs C
> > drive, not the Vista PCs C drive. Anyone know what the problem is?

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Access Denied trying to access Vista PC
Then try administrative sharing. this post may help.

Vista: Can't access administrative ...So that no one including the user who
belongs to a member of the Vista local Administrators group is allowed to
access the administrative share. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...3098ee 917daf