Network with XP

Jeff

Network with XP
I have a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop and a Windows XP Home SP2 desktop
PC. I am trying to network the two, so that I can access the printer that is
connected to my desktop from my laptop. I have both machines in the same
workgroup, and the XP can see the Vista machine with no problem. However,
when I go into the network and sharing center on the Vista machine, the
laptop is the only computer that appears. I have the printer and a few
folders shared on the XP machine and I have turned off all firewalls on both
machines, but I still cannot see the XP machine. If I go to Windows Explorer
on the Vista machine, and type in the UNC name for the XP machine, then I can
see the shared folders, but I would rather be able to access them through the
network and sharing center. Furthermore, when I go to add a new network
printer on the Vista machine, when browsing the network for the XP printer,
it says it cannot find any, but if I type in the UNC name for the printer,
then I get an error message stating that I cannot connect to this device
because authentication failed. What can I do to get the Vista machine to see
the XP machine? Thanks!
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Network with XP
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:23:01 -0700, Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop and a Windows XP Home SP2 desktop
>PC. I am trying to network the two, so that I can access the printer that is
>connected to my desktop from my laptop. I have both machines in the same
>workgroup, and the XP can see the Vista machine with no problem. However,
>when I go into the network and sharing center on the Vista machine, the
>laptop is the only computer that appears. I have the printer and a few
>folders shared on the XP machine and I have turned off all firewalls on both
>machines, but I still cannot see the XP machine. If I go to Windows Explorer
>on the Vista machine, and type in the UNC name for the XP machine, then I can
>see the shared folders, but I would rather be able to access them through the
>network and sharing center. Furthermore, when I go to add a new network
>printer on the Vista machine, when browsing the network for the XP printer,
>it says it cannot find any, but if I type in the UNC name for the printer,
>then I get an error message stating that I cannot connect to this device
>because authentication failed. What can I do to get the Vista machine to see
>the XP machine? Thanks!

If you're sure that no personal firewalls remain, causing problems, then look at
the NetBT setting and make sure that it's consistent.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

And look at other known challenges with Windows Vista on a mixed network.

Or look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server",
and "net config workstation", from each computer, so we can diagnose the
problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!) (and note the command window in Windows Vista,
and admin mode):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Architex

RE: Network with XP
Hey Jeff,
I have very similar problem.
My post is 3 above yours.
Let me know if you find a solution.
I'll e-mail you if I find a cure myself.
Alex

"Jeff" wrote:

> I have a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop and a Windows XP Home SP2 desktop
> PC. I am trying to network the two, so that I can access the printer that is
> connected to my desktop from my laptop. I have both machines in the same
> workgroup, and the XP can see the Vista machine with no problem. However,
> when I go into the network and sharing center on the Vista machine, the
> laptop is the only computer that appears. I have the printer and a few
> folders shared on the XP machine and I have turned off all firewalls on both
> machines, but I still cannot see the XP machine. If I go to Windows Explorer
> on the Vista machine, and type in the UNC name for the XP machine, then I can
> see the shared folders, but I would rather be able to access them through the
> network and sharing center. Furthermore, when I go to add a new network
> printer on the Vista machine, when browsing the network for the XP printer,
> it says it cannot find any, but if I type in the UNC name for the printer,
> then I get an error message stating that I cannot connect to this device
> because authentication failed. What can I do to get the Vista machine to see
> the XP machine? Thanks!

Mick Murphy

RE: Network with XP