cannot see network

Matthew

cannot see network
I have a laptop with Vista home premium. I want to connect to a small office
network which has 1 computer with XP and 2 computers with Office 2000. They
are connected by a router and share the internet connection through the
router. The network name is workgroup. I have enabled the Network discovery
and selected private network, turned on the file sharing and removed the
password protections. What else do I need to do to see the other computers?
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: cannot see network
Do a simple test. Can you ping each other by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Matthew" <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop with Vista home premium. I want to connect to a small
>office
> network which has 1 computer with XP and 2 computers with Office 2000.
> They
> are connected by a router and share the internet connection through the
> router. The network name is workgroup. I have enabled the Network
> discovery
> and selected private network, turned on the file sharing and removed the
> password protections. What else do I need to do to see the other
> computers?

Chuck [MVP]

Re: cannot see network
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:59:00 -0700, Matthew <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a laptop with Vista home premium. I want to connect to a small office
>network which has 1 computer with XP and 2 computers with Office 2000. They
>are connected by a router and share the internet connection through the
>router. The network name is workgroup. I have enabled the Network discovery
>and selected private network, turned on the file sharing and removed the
>password protections. What else do I need to do to see the other computers?

Matthew,

Besides turning on file sharing, do you have an actual share point on each
computer?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#VistaServer>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...ml#VistaServer

To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all",
"net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!) (and note the use of the command window, and admin mode, in Windows
Vista):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Steve M. Aaronson

Re: cannot see network
I am having the same issue with virtually the identical configuration. I
have a very simple configuration including an XP (SP2) PC and a Vista PC
that are networked via a Linksys (wired) router. The respective shared
drives in
each machine are not able to be seen by the other. I can ping the IP
addresses of the each other machine - so it seems the router is working.
Like Matthew, I enabled discovery on the Vista box, (I also enabled file and
printer sharing on the XP box) and have turned off the local firewalls on
both machines.

It seems to me, something this simple should be just 'plug and play'.

Anyone have any thoughts?

--

Steve M. Aaronson

Mick Murphy