connecting two computers

liverbird

connecting two computers
Hello im very new to computers and dont know the jargon, ect.... but i have a
desktop home computer running windows XP.. And have bought my Husband a
Laptop for xmas. it is a wireless laptop supporting windows Vista, and i
bought a wireless broadband router, as i dont know mush about computers i got
a neighbour into help me, he told me i needed an ETHERNET cable??? which i
have now found out i dont need it as the laptop is already installed with
what i need except the router, i plugged in the router and my laptop icons at
the bottom right hand side had the 2 tv screens on them with a red cross
through them, then i disconnected it and tried again and the red cross
dissappeared and the message now read that i am connected to the internet via
a default user?? (i think this is me) as i hadnt set any names or passwords
up.... but when i tried to search the internet browser the message kept
coming up i was not connected??? and a message in a box said to fix the
problem i had to contact my internet provider or administrator?? i contacted
my provider and they said to contact the manafacture of my router?? to solve
the problem, so i got the neighbour back over to see if he could help
me...and he has done something??? i dont know what but now i cannot get the
red cross from the 2 tv`s...and a message comes on the page where im looking
to connect to a wireless network. it reads Defalut user?? (me i think)..and
he had put in a password so i have tried to put the password in and its
saying its incorrect... and im totally lost...i have tried to system restor
and reset the internet explorer settings and nothing has changed apart from
in the connect to a network box it has a 2nd default user with an excellent
strength from a wireless signal but says security-enabled network again i
think this is me but when i put the password in it still says
incorrect..PLEASE can somebody help me.. and im sorry its a very long winded
question but i dont know how else to explain it... thanks Lesley
Malke

Re: connecting two computers
liverbird wrote:
> Hello im very new to computers and dont know the jargon, ect.... but i have a
> desktop home computer running windows XP.. And have bought my Husband a
> Laptop for xmas. it is a wireless laptop supporting windows Vista, and i
> bought a wireless broadband router, as i dont know mush about computers i got
> a neighbour into help me, he told me i needed an ETHERNET cable??? which i
> have now found out i dont need it as the laptop is already installed with
> what i need except the router, i plugged in the router and my laptop icons at
> the bottom right hand side had the 2 tv screens on them with a red cross
> through them, then i disconnected it and tried again and the red cross
> dissappeared and the message now read that i am connected to the internet via
> a default user?? (i think this is me) as i hadnt set any names or passwords
> up.... but when i tried to search the internet browser the message kept
> coming up i was not connected??? and a message in a box said to fix the
> problem i had to contact my internet provider or administrator?? i contacted
> my provider and they said to contact the manafacture of my router?? to solve
> the problem, so i got the neighbour back over to see if he could help
> me...and he has done something??? i dont know what but now i cannot get the
> red cross from the 2 tv`s...and a message comes on the page where im looking
> to connect to a wireless network. it reads Defalut user?? (me i think)..and
> he had put in a password so i have tried to put the password in and its
> saying its incorrect... and im totally lost...i have tried to system restor
> and reset the internet explorer settings and nothing has changed apart from
> in the connect to a network box it has a 2nd default user with an excellent
> strength from a wireless signal but says security-enabled network again i
> think this is me but when i put the password in it still says
> incorrect..PLEASE can somebody help me.. and im sorry its a very long winded
> question but i dont know how else to explain it... thanks Lesley

Your post is almost impossible to read and doesn't make much sense. I'm
not saying this to hurt your feelings, but using white space,
paragraphs, and/or numbered points would have been much better. I have
read through this twice and I still don't know what you've got and what
you've done. Again, I'm not saying this to make you feel bad but I
really do think the best solution for you will be to have a computer
professional come on-site and set you up properly. This will not be
someone from a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad place.

If you want to soldier on and try and get help from this newsgroup, then
please please read the information at this link which will show you what
information is needed in your next post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

An example of what would make it easy for people to help you would be
something like:

1. Description of computer #1 - including which Windows operating system
(ex. Vista Home Premium, XP Home with Service Pack 2)
2. Description of computer #2
3. How you connect to the Internet - your ISP, whether you use cable or
DSL, and the make/model of your router.
4. What your end goal is - to have Internet access on both machines and
be able to share files and printers?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Mick Murphy

RE: connecting two computers
What your neighbour has tried to do is set up a Security (WEP) Keyed wireless
internet connection, and FAILED to do it properly.

We can not help to from here, as you do not understand computers.
Go through your local phone book, and get a local qualified computer
technician, and not one from a computer/department store.