Cannot Connect 2 home pcs

Jazzymack

Cannot Connect 2 home pcs
I am trying to connect 2 pc together so I can share the files.
I have set up an ad hoc network which both can connect to.
The Pc upstairs can only see itselft nothing else.
The PC downstairs can see the PC upstairs but cannot actually get the files
up.
One has vista basic, the other vista business.
It goes through a wireless router.
File sharing is on.
Help
--
Thanks Julie
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot Connect 2 home pcs
Can they ping each other by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Jazzymack" <Jazzymack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to connect 2 pc together so I can share the files.
> I have set up an ad hoc network which both can connect to.
> The Pc upstairs can only see itselft nothing else.
> The PC downstairs can see the PC upstairs but cannot actually get the
> files
> up.
> One has vista basic, the other vista business.
> It goes through a wireless router.
> File sharing is on.
> Help
> --
> Thanks Julie

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Cannot Connect 2 home pcs
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 05:08:00 -0700, Jazzymack
<Jazzymack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to connect 2 pc together so I can share the files.
>I have set up an ad hoc network which both can connect to.
>The Pc upstairs can only see itselft nothing else.
>The PC downstairs can see the PC upstairs but cannot actually get the files
>up.
>One has vista basic, the other vista business.
>It goes through a wireless router.
>File sharing is on.
>Help

Julie,

What you're asking about is a typical browser infrastructure problem. The
browser has nothing to do with Internet Explorer - it's what provides the
display in Network (aka My Network Places in Windows XP). This is generally the
result of a NetBT setting mismatch, or a personal firewall problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Did you set the Network Location Type to Private? If not, you'll have to
manually open firewall ports.

Most of these articles were written, originally, under Windows XP. Windows
Vista follows the same general networking design, and in most cases, these
articles should be applicable. If the above advice gets you nowhere, let's look
at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net
config workstation", from each computer, so we can diagnose the problem. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot Connect 2 home pcs

Above link should help.
It is about file and printer sharing in Vista.