Telnet to Linux server: XP can, Vista can't

dylan_c

Telnet to Linux server: XP can, Vista can't
I've enabled telnet in Vista but cannot telnet to my Linux fileserver or db
servers.

My IP is enabled on my internal firewalls, and I've clean booted Vista with
all non-microsoft services and all startup items disabled.

When I try to telnet to a server and port which I know is listening because
I can telnet from XP, I get the error:
"Connecting to <IP>... Could not open connection to the host, on port 3335:
Connect failed"

I can actually get Vista to connect to a Samba share on the same server, so
I know that IP connectivity is there.
--
DC
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Telnet to Linux server: XP can, Vista can't
We know there are many security settings. With clean reboot, have you turn
off windows firewall or onecare?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"dylan_c" <dylanc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news32817FF-25D1-4423-AB4B-163F4E7AE6C4@microsoft.com...
> I've enabled telnet in Vista but cannot telnet to my Linux fileserver or
> db
> servers.
>
> My IP is enabled on my internal firewalls, and I've clean booted Vista
> with
> all non-microsoft services and all startup items disabled.
>
> When I try to telnet to a server and port which I know is listening
> because
> I can telnet from XP, I get the error:
> "Connecting to <IP>... Could not open connection to the host, on port
> 3335:
> Connect failed"
>
> I can actually get Vista to connect to a Samba share on the same server,
> so
> I know that IP connectivity is there.
> --
> DC

dylan_c

Re: Telnet to Linux server: XP can, Vista can't
My apologies we can close this now - I've fired my sysadmin who categorically
assured me that he'd allowed me access to the IP/port in question from my new
PC ;-)

--
DC