Networking Vista Laptop to XP Desktop

FijiDan12

Networking Vista Laptop to XP Desktop
I have a Vista Laptop wirelessly connected to a Linksys router which has an
XP PC hard wired to it. I cannot get the two computers to communicate with
each other. Each computer can see the other but they can't access each
computer's shared files. I believe I have followed on the necessary steps to
set up my network. On the Vista, I have set up a private network and network
discovery is on and the firewall settings allow for both. On the XP, I have
added the LLTD Responder. Both are also in the same workgroup.

When I run the Network Map on the Vista, I can see the icon for the XP PC,
but I cannot click on it. However, when I click on 'View Computers and
Devices', the XP does not show up, just the Vista. When I look at the
computers in the Workgroup on the XP, I can see the Vista, but I cannot
access it.

My desire of connecting the computers is to share photo files and allow the
Vista to access the printer on the XP.

Any help? Ideas?
Thanks.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking Vista Laptop to XP Desktop
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:14:00 -0700, FijiDan12
<FijiDan12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Vista Laptop wirelessly connected to a Linksys router which has an
>XP PC hard wired to it. I cannot get the two computers to communicate with
>each other. Each computer can see the other but they can't access each
>computer's shared files. I believe I have followed on the necessary steps to
>set up my network. On the Vista, I have set up a private network and network
>discovery is on and the firewall settings allow for both. On the XP, I have
>added the LLTD Responder. Both are also in the same workgroup.
>
>When I run the Network Map on the Vista, I can see the icon for the XP PC,
>but I cannot click on it. However, when I click on 'View Computers and
>Devices', the XP does not show up, just the Vista. When I look at the
>computers in the Workgroup on the XP, I can see the Vista, but I cannot
>access it.
>
>My desire of connecting the computers is to share photo files and allow the
>Vista to access the printer on the XP.
>
>Any help? Ideas?
>Thanks.

Dan,

This reminds me of a master browser conflict (I'm not discussing Internet
Explorer either). It's a problem that predates Windows Vista.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html

It's frequently a symptom of a NetBT setting mismatch, or a personal firewall
problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
hedera

RE: Networking Vista Laptop to XP Desktop
Actually, I just solved a very similar problem the other night (well, my
husband did)after setting up my new Vista laptop. Wired to the Linksys
router my laptop could see both the XP boxes which are also wired to the
router, and could share files; but it couldn't connect to the wireless access
point I thought was there. (7 year old router.) So I went out and bought a
new D-Link wireless router and then I had exactly your situation: couldn't
see the network. The problem was IP settings in the Norton Firewalls on the
XP boxes: the Linksys router used a different IP subnet than D-Link. Since
you haven't changed routers, it's not a different IP range issue; but I
suggest you look at the firewall settings on the XP box. I suspect your
firewall is blocking something on you.
--
hedera

Nature bats last.