Unknown network

Luc

Unknown network
Vista, nice name, not working.
With Xp-computers I never had problems connecting to my network.
I have a network with a XP-computer connecting directly to the internet. The
network consist out of a hub connected to each computer. One is still a
machine running W98se.
When I connected the Vista computer to the network, it immediately
discovered the network. I had access to the XP and W98 computers and vice
versa.
From Vista i had access to the internet through the XP-machine.

Then the problems came up.
Suddenly i had no connection to the network anymore.
He now sees an "unkown network" and "public network" in stead of private.
If i try to customize, i cannot change the name of the network (i can select
it but i cannot change it).
As i have no internet access from the vista computer i cannot check updates
or run test...
When i run "diagnose and repair" (sometimes it takes several minutes to
complete) i most often get that there might be a problem with the
networkrouter.
Last week it suddenly worked again, speed was ok, i was happy allthough i
did not knew WHY is was working again. After an our or so, the link broke
again for some reason... and since then i have no internet access, no
network, no file sharing, no printer sharing.... I wish i never bought that
stupid machine.

Or is there somebody that can solve my problem?
(network detection on, sharing on, etc, passwords off, firewall off, no
virusscanner(!), and i tried everything i could the i could find in this
discussion group)

Luc

RE: Unknown network
I did a system recovery to 1 month ago. Stil the same problem.
So system recovery again to yesterday (although it was not working
yesterday...).
The result is now that he discovers two networks, one "THUISNET" which is
the one i need, and still that "unkown network".
Sharing files is now possible.
Sharing internet is not possible as i have to "disconnect one of the active
connections". How can i do that ?

kr
Luc

"Luc" wrote:

> Vista, nice name, not working.
> With Xp-computers I never had problems connecting to my network.
> I have a network with a XP-computer connecting directly to the internet. The
> network consist out of a hub connected to each computer. One is still a
> machine running W98se.
> When I connected the Vista computer to the network, it immediately
> discovered the network. I had access to the XP and W98 computers and vice
> versa.
> From Vista i had access to the internet through the XP-machine.
>
> Then the problems came up.
> Suddenly i had no connection to the network anymore.
> He now sees an "unkown network" and "public network" in stead of private.
> If i try to customize, i cannot change the name of the network (i can select
> it but i cannot change it).
> As i have no internet access from the vista computer i cannot check updates
> or run test...
> When i run "diagnose and repair" (sometimes it takes several minutes to
> complete) i most often get that there might be a problem with the
> networkrouter.
> Last week it suddenly worked again, speed was ok, i was happy allthough i
> did not knew WHY is was working again. After an our or so, the link broke
> again for some reason... and since then i have no internet access, no
> network, no file sharing, no printer sharing.... I wish i never bought that
> stupid machine.
>
> Or is there somebody that can solve my problem?
> (network detection on, sharing on, etc, passwords off, firewall off, no
> virusscanner(!), and i tried everything i could the i could find in this
> discussion group)

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unknown network
If it works at one time but other time, it could be the incompatible issue.
Or these links may help,

Vista issuesthe Vista laptop has limited connectivity to "Unidentified
network". The XP desktop says that the network cable isn't even plugged in.
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

Vista incompatible issuesVista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or
routers may not compatible with Vista - Solutions: upgrade the firmware,
disable the IPv6, re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE