RDP "vista to xpsp2"

jwingo

RDP "vista to xpsp2"
Got a new latptop from Dell and I am trying to remote from my home (laptop
running Vista home premium) to my computer at work running xp sp2. I am
connecting to my work vpn and then launching RDP to connect. Vista and XP
machine are both running RDP 6.0. Host computer is set to allow remote
connections and users are defined. I have set Vista to connect even in
authenication fails. I have the setting set not to us a TS server. I can
remote in with an XP SP2 machine just fine, just not with vista. I do not
have the error message handy that I got last night. I will capture that
tonight and post in the thread. Has anyone heard or experienced problems
going from vista to xp?
forum.microsoft.com

Re: RDP "vista to xpsp2"
I know some people connected from vista laptop to xp pro sp2. I only
installed the optional RDP component in xp pc from windows update to allow
that to happen.

Sorry, don't remember the exact name of the component.
"jwingo" <jwingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a new latptop from Dell and I am trying to remote from my home (laptop
> running Vista home premium) to my computer at work running xp sp2. I am
> connecting to my work vpn and then launching RDP to connect. Vista and XP
> machine are both running RDP 6.0. Host computer is set to allow remote
> connections and users are defined. I have set Vista to connect even in
> authenication fails. I have the setting set not to us a TS server. I can
> remote in with an XP SP2 machine just fine, just not with vista. I do not
> have the error message handy that I got last night. I will capture that
> tonight and post in the thread. Has anyone heard or experienced problems
> going from vista to xp?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: RDP "vista to xpsp2"
"jwingo" <jwingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a new latptop from Dell and I am trying to remote from my home (laptop
> running Vista home premium) to my computer at work running xp sp2. I am
> connecting to my work vpn and then launching RDP to connect. Vista and XP
> machine are both running RDP 6.0. Host computer is set to allow remote
> connections and users are defined. I have set Vista to connect even in
> authenication fails. I have the setting set not to us a TS server. I can
> remote in with an XP SP2 machine just fine, just not with vista. I do not
> have the error message handy that I got last night. I will capture that
> tonight and post in the thread. Has anyone heard or experienced problems
> going from vista to xp?

No, I do it all the time. Just to make sure can you ping the XP SP2 machine
through the VPN tunnel from the Vista laptop once you connect? Can you
connect to the XP SP2 machine from the Vista laptop while the laptop is
connected directly (wired or wireless) to the work LAN? Having the exact
error message would be helpful...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: RDP "vista to xpsp2"
"forum.microsoft.com" <newsgrp@noMail.com> wrote in message
>I know some people connected from vista laptop to xp pro sp2. I only
>installed the optional RDP component in xp pc from windows update to allow
>that to happen.
>
> Sorry, don't remember the exact name of the component.

What optional RDP component?

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

jwingo

Re: RDP "vista to xpsp2"
I can not ping the xp box. I had not tried to remote from the xp to vista
since it is home premium version and does not support host rdp sessions.

The error message is: "The computer can not connect to remote computer".

news16AE1C0-36F1-4B61-9BDA-885CA7C82689@microsoft.com...
>I can not ping the xp box. I had not tried to remote from the xp to vista
> since it is home premium version and does not support host rdp sessions.
>
> The error message is: "The computer can not connect to remote computer".

Well, if you can't ping the machine through the VPN tunnel you will never be
able to connect with Remote Desktop.

Can you connect to the XP SP2 machine with Remote Desktop from the Vista
laptop if the laptop is connected directly to the work LAN?

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Saskia

Re: RDP "vista to xpsp2"
I am using Vista Ultimate as host and want to rdp to a xp-pro-sp2 system.
I can ping from both machines and get a reply, so the network is up, but
still rdp does not work....quite a nag I have to say...