Router - Online games disconnecting

mehehehe

Router - Online games disconnecting
Hi

I have 2 pc's, 1 with XP, 1 with Vista, with a wired connection to my
NTL/Virgin broadband via a Belkin Router.

When playing online games (Quake 3, WOW, COD2) i lose connection after about
10 minutes. it then usually comes back to life after about 30 seconds (too
late in most games!)

If i disconnect the router, and connect directly to my cable modem, I have
no problems, this tells me my router is the issue.

I have updated the firmware, to no avail.

anybody have any suggestions? from scouring the net, i see this isn't an
uncommon problem, but can't seem to find a solution!

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

JJ

mehehehe

RE: Router - Online games disconnecting

"mehehehe" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have 2 pc's, 1 with XP, 1 with Vista, with a wired connection to my
> NTL/Virgin broadband via a Belkin Router.
>
> When playing online games (Quake 3, WOW, COD2) i lose connection after about
> 10 minutes. it then usually comes back to life after about 30 seconds (too
> late in most games!)
>
> If i disconnect the router, and connect directly to my cable modem, I have
> no problems, this tells me my router is the issue.
>
> I have updated the firmware, to no avail.
>
> anybody have any suggestions? from scouring the net, i see this isn't an
> uncommon problem, but can't seem to find a solution!
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> JJ

By the way, I am pretty sure this isn't a Vista problem (maybe) but this
forum has been useful previously, so thought it a good place to start.
Barb Bowman

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
what router? hardware version of this router and firmware? and have
you contacted the manufacturer of the router?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
mehehehe

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
Hi

The Router is a Belkin F5D5231-4, firmware version = 3.01.03

Yes, I have contacted Belkin, who's service was poor to say the least.

I have updated the firmware, reset the router, their guy got me to switch
from obtaining dns server automatically, to use the address 4.2.2.2 and an
alternate of 4.2.2.1 (not sure why!)
anyway, after about 20 minutes, we got nowhere, and he say's it is my isp's
fault...
i am not sure why, as when i take the router out of my setup, all is fine!

i tried disabling the router's firewall, no help.

it is so consistent! i load a game, play it for about 10 minutes, and lose
connection, each and every time, after the same amount of time.

any suggestions?

thanks & regards

James

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> what router? hardware version of this router and firmware? and have
> you contacted the manufacturer of the router?
>
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:52:20 -0700, mehehehe
> <mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I have 2 pc's, 1 with XP, 1 with Vista, with a wired connection to my
> >NTL/Virgin broadband via a Belkin Router.
> >
> >When playing online games (Quake 3, WOW, COD2) i lose connection after about
> >10 minutes. it then usually comes back to life after about 30 seconds (too
> >late in most games!)
> >
> >If i disconnect the router, and connect directly to my cable modem, I have
> >no problems, this tells me my router is the issue.
> >
> >I have updated the firmware, to no avail.
> >
> >anybody have any suggestions? from scouring the net, i see this isn't an
> >uncommon problem, but can't seem to find a solution!
> >
> >Any help is appreciated.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >JJ
> >

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
any chance you could try a different router? it's obviously an issue
with the router if you have an issue on both XP and Vista but not
when you connect directly to the modem. there isn't much else I can
offer.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:10:02 -0700, mehehehe
<mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>The Router is a Belkin F5D5231-4, firmware version = 3.01.03
>
>Yes, I have contacted Belkin, who's service was poor to say the least.
>
>I have updated the firmware, reset the router, their guy got me to switch
>from obtaining dns server automatically, to use the address 4.2.2.2 and an
>alternate of 4.2.2.1 (not sure why!)
>anyway, after about 20 minutes, we got nowhere, and he say's it is my isp's
>fault...
>i am not sure why, as when i take the router out of my setup, all is fine!
>
>i tried disabling the router's firewall, no help.
>
>it is so consistent! i load a game, play it for about 10 minutes, and lose
>connection, each and every time, after the same amount of time.
>
>any suggestions?
>
>thanks & regards
>
>James
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> what router? hardware version of this router and firmware? and have
>> you contacted the manufacturer of the router?
>>
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:52:20 -0700, mehehehe
>> <mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I have 2 pc's, 1 with XP, 1 with Vista, with a wired connection to my
>> >NTL/Virgin broadband via a Belkin Router.
>> >
>> >When playing online games (Quake 3, WOW, COD2) i lose connection after about
>> >10 minutes. it then usually comes back to life after about 30 seconds (too
>> >late in most games!)
>> >
>> >If i disconnect the router, and connect directly to my cable modem, I have
>> >no problems, this tells me my router is the issue.
>> >
>> >I have updated the firmware, to no avail.
>> >
>> >anybody have any suggestions? from scouring the net, i see this isn't an
>> >uncommon problem, but can't seem to find a solution!
>> >
>> >Any help is appreciated.
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >
>> >JJ
>> >

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
mehehehe

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
That would mean having to buy another. this one is a only few weeks old, I
guess i can try taking it back and hope they have a good exchange/refund
policy....

thanks for trying.

Regards

James

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> any chance you could try a different router? it's obviously an issue
> with the router if you have an issue on both XP and Vista but not
> when you connect directly to the modem. there isn't much else I can
> offer.
>
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:10:02 -0700, mehehehe
> <mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >The Router is a Belkin F5D5231-4, firmware version = 3.01.03
> >
> >Yes, I have contacted Belkin, who's service was poor to say the least.
> >
> >I have updated the firmware, reset the router, their guy got me to switch
> >from obtaining dns server automatically, to use the address 4.2.2.2 and an
> >alternate of 4.2.2.1 (not sure why!)
> >anyway, after about 20 minutes, we got nowhere, and he say's it is my isp's
> >fault...
> >i am not sure why, as when i take the router out of my setup, all is fine!
> >
> >i tried disabling the router's firewall, no help.
> >
> >it is so consistent! i load a game, play it for about 10 minutes, and lose
> >connection, each and every time, after the same amount of time.
> >
> >any suggestions?
> >
> >thanks & regards
> >
> >James
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> what router? hardware version of this router and firmware? and have
> >> you contacted the manufacturer of the router?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
Ask/look around on the gaming forums for recommendations. I'd
personally recommend either the D-Link DIR-655 or DGL-4300.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:54:08 -0700, mehehehe
<mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>That would mean having to buy another. this one is a only few weeks old, I
>guess i can try taking it back and hope they have a good exchange/refund
>policy....
>
>thanks for trying.
>
>Regards
>
>James
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> any chance you could try a different router? it's obviously an issue
>> with the router if you have an issue on both XP and Vista but not
>> when you connect directly to the modem. there isn't much else I can
>> offer.
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:10:02 -0700, mehehehe
>> <mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >The Router is a Belkin F5D5231-4, firmware version = 3.01.03
>> >
>> >Yes, I have contacted Belkin, who's service was poor to say the least.
>> >
>> >I have updated the firmware, reset the router, their guy got me to switch
>> >from obtaining dns server automatically, to use the address 4.2.2.2 and an
>> >alternate of 4.2.2.1 (not sure why!)
>> >anyway, after about 20 minutes, we got nowhere, and he say's it is my isp's
>> >fault...
>> >i am not sure why, as when i take the router out of my setup, all is fine!
>> >
>> >i tried disabling the router's firewall, no help.
>> >
>> >it is so consistent! i load a game, play it for about 10 minutes, and lose
>> >connection, each and every time, after the same amount of time.
>> >
>> >any suggestions?
>> >
>> >thanks & regards
>> >
>> >James

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
mehehehe

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
Hi again

AAAGH!

I couldn't find the routers suggested, but instead, went out and bought
myself a netgear FS605 V3 4 port router today.

I figured that Belkin are Jacks of all trades but masters of non, whereas
Netgear concentrate mainly on - well - net gear, so thought they may be a
good bet.

Anyway, now my problem is, only one of my 2 pc's can be connected to the net
at any time. I am guessing this is probably something to do with IP
addresses... but not sure why/how.. if they are both connected at the same
time, the 2nd one suffers from limited or no connectivity....

I have tried disabling firewalls, uninstalling them etc.. but to no avail.
I have tried changng the network adapters to 10mb just to see if it helps,
but no..

I have scanned the net, and windows support forums, but only managed to find
massively confusing and detailed info on networking, which just managed to
confuse me.

I will try and contact Netgear's tech support tomorrow, but just wondered if
there was an obvious solution to my problem??

Thanks & regards

James

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Ask/look around on the gaming forums for recommendations. I'd
> personally recommend either the D-Link DIR-655 or DGL-4300.
>
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:54:08 -0700, mehehehe
> <mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >That would mean having to buy another. this one is a only few weeks old, I
> >guess i can try taking it back and hope they have a good exchange/refund
> >policy....
> >
> >thanks for trying.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >James
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> any chance you could try a different router? it's obviously an issue
> >> with the router if you have an issue on both XP and Vista but not
> >> when you connect directly to the modem. there isn't much else I can
> >> offer.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
that appears to be a switch and not a router.
(http://www.netgear.com/Products/Swit...m+Requirements)

it is not what you want at all. you want a router. I suggest you ask
around on the gaming forums OR you could purchase a router from an
online merchant.

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:05:02 -0700, mehehehe
<mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi again
>
>AAAGH!
>
>I couldn't find the routers suggested, but instead, went out and bought
>myself a netgear FS605 V3 4 port router today.
>
>I figured that Belkin are Jacks of all trades but masters of non, whereas
>Netgear concentrate mainly on - well - net gear, so thought they may be a
>good bet.
>
>Anyway, now my problem is, only one of my 2 pc's can be connected to the net
>at any time. I am guessing this is probably something to do with IP
>addresses... but not sure why/how.. if they are both connected at the same
>time, the 2nd one suffers from limited or no connectivity....
>
>I have tried disabling firewalls, uninstalling them etc.. but to no avail.
>I have tried changng the network adapters to 10mb just to see if it helps,
>but no..
>
>I have scanned the net, and windows support forums, but only managed to find
>massively confusing and detailed info on networking, which just managed to
>confuse me.
>
>I will try and contact Netgear's tech support tomorrow, but just wondered if
>there was an obvious solution to my problem??
>
>Thanks & regards
>
>James
>

>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Ask/look around on the gaming forums for recommendations. I'd
>> personally recommend either the D-Link DIR-655 or DGL-4300.
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:54:08 -0700, mehehehe
>> <mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >That would mean having to buy another. this one is a only few weeks old, I
>> >guess i can try taking it back and hope they have a good exchange/refund
>> >policy....
>> >
>> >thanks for trying.
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >
>> >James

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
mehehehe

Re: Router - Online games disconnecting
omg - u must think i am such a noob, (i am it seems)

didn't know there was any difference between a switch and a router...

AAAGH!

will be in touch!