Gimme back XP

dlonz

Gimme back XP
Okay, I've had it. I bought this HP Presario 3 months ago, everything was
fine then one day I had "limited" (meaning none) connectivity. Simple
connection directly to cable modem and ISP says all is well on their end.
Several hours of troubleshooting with HP including a couple system restores
have no effect. Now, they're telling me I need to do a complete restore of
the OS which will wipe out everything I've done for the last three months.
If I'm gonna have to do that, I'm gonna do it with XP and not Vista.

My question is, what are my options? Do I have to buy XP and install it
myself? I'm not sure I'm up to that, and I don't want to have to drop a
bunch of money into a new operating system just to get my brand new computer
to work. I understand new technology and bugs and compatibility. But when I
buy something I expect it to work without my having to be a tech guru, any
more than I should have to be a mechanic to make my new car run. It's
irritating. If Vista has issues then I should have the option of staying
with what works until those issues are resolved and not have it shoved down
my throat. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave
Dave

Re: Gimme back XP
I've been running Vista since 2/2/2007, and all of my connectivity problems
have been due to my ISP...

1. Have you tired to update your NIC drivers?

2. Do you have another computer to connect to the modem, to see how it
performs?

3. Have you tried disabling your firewall, as a test?

"dlonz" <dlonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I've had it. I bought this HP Presario 3 months ago, everything was
> fine then one day I had "limited" (meaning none) connectivity. Simple
> connection directly to cable modem and ISP says all is well on their end.
> Several hours of troubleshooting with HP including a couple system
> restores
> have no effect. Now, they're telling me I need to do a complete restore
> of
> the OS which will wipe out everything I've done for the last three months.
> If I'm gonna have to do that, I'm gonna do it with XP and not Vista.
>
> My question is, what are my options? Do I have to buy XP and install it
> myself? I'm not sure I'm up to that, and I don't want to have to drop a
> bunch of money into a new operating system just to get my brand new
> computer
> to work. I understand new technology and bugs and compatibility. But
> when I
> buy something I expect it to work without my having to be a tech guru, any
> more than I should have to be a mechanic to make my new car run. It's
> irritating. If Vista has issues then I should have the option of staying
> with what works until those issues are resolved and not have it shoved
> down
> my throat. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> Dave

dlonz

Re: Gimme back XP
I haven't updated the drivers or disabled the firewall. I'll try the
firewall tonight. I have a laptop I can try and meant to do it last night
but ran out of time. Will try that tonight also. If I can connect the
laptop I'll try downloading the latest driver to disk and see if I can update.

Like I said though, I went through troubleshooting with my ISP and
everything checked out.

"Dave" wrote:

> I've been running Vista since 2/2/2007, and all of my connectivity problems
> have been due to my ISP...
>
> 1. Have you tired to update your NIC drivers?
>
> 2. Do you have another computer to connect to the modem, to see how it
> performs?
>
> 3. Have you tried disabling your firewall, as a test?
>

> "dlonz" <dlonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, I've had it. I bought this HP Presario 3 months ago, everything was
> > fine then one day I had "limited" (meaning none) connectivity. Simple
> > connection directly to cable modem and ISP says all is well on their end.
> > Several hours of troubleshooting with HP including a couple system
> > restores
> > have no effect. Now, they're telling me I need to do a complete restore
> > of
> > the OS which will wipe out everything I've done for the last three months.
> > If I'm gonna have to do that, I'm gonna do it with XP and not Vista.
> >
> > My question is, what are my options? Do I have to buy XP and install it
> > myself? I'm not sure I'm up to that, and I don't want to have to drop a
> > bunch of money into a new operating system just to get my brand new
> > computer
> > to work. I understand new technology and bugs and compatibility. But
> > when I
> > buy something I expect it to work without my having to be a tech guru, any
> > more than I should have to be a mechanic to make my new car run. It's
> > irritating. If Vista has issues then I should have the option of staying
> > with what works until those issues are resolved and not have it shoved
> > down
> > my throat. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.
> >
> > Dave

dlonz

Re: Gimme back XP
I hooked up my laptop last night and it worked fine (xp).