Wired and Wireless networks

Lou

Wired and Wireless networks
I have a wired network at home. All the PC's are on XP and work well. I have
just bought my wife a laptop with Vista Home Edition on it and to get her
onto the network I bought a wireless access point that I have connected to my
cable router.

It would appear that I have 2 networks that don't see each each other - a
wired one and a wireless one. My wife needs to access the shared printer and
other network resources. How do I get the WAN and the LAN to see each other?
Is it possible to have one network with wired and wireless components?

Thanks in anticipation
Malke

Re: Wired and Wireless networks
Lou wrote:
> I have a wired network at home. All the PC's are on XP and work well. I have
> just bought my wife a laptop with Vista Home Edition on it and to get her
> onto the network I bought a wireless access point that I have connected to my
> cable router.
>
> It would appear that I have 2 networks that don't see each each other - a
> wired one and a wireless one. My wife needs to access the shared printer and
> other network resources. How do I get the WAN and the LAN to see each other?
> Is it possible to have one network with wired and wireless components?
>
> Thanks in anticipation

Yes, it's completely possible. Offhand, it sounds as though you have
different subnets set for your wired and wireless router/access points.
Post the results of ipconfig from one of the wired machines and from the
wireless one. I'm assuming that the wireless laptop gets to the Internet OK.

Start Orb>Search box - type: cmd [enter]
When cmd appears in the list above, right-click it and choose "run as
Administrator". This will give you the command prompt. Do:

ipconfig /all [enter]

What we're interested in seeing are the IP addresses for the computers
and the gateway.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Lou

"Malke" wrote:

> Lou wrote:
> > I have a wired network at home. All the PC's are on XP and work well. I have
> > just bought my wife a laptop with Vista Home Edition on it and to get her
> > onto the network I bought a wireless access point that I have connected to my
> > cable router.
> >
> > It would appear that I have 2 networks that don't see each each other - a
> > wired one and a wireless one. My wife needs to access the shared printer and
> > other network resources. How do I get the WAN and the LAN to see each other?
> > Is it possible to have one network with wired and wireless components?
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation

> Yes, it's completely possible. Offhand, it sounds as though you have
> different subnets set for your wired and wireless router/access points.
> Post the results of ipconfig from one of the wired machines and from the
> wireless one. I'm assuming that the wireless laptop gets to the Internet OK.
>
> Start Orb>Search box - type: cmd [enter]
> When cmd appears in the list above, right-click it and choose "run as
> Administrator". This will give you the command prompt. Do:
>
> ipconfig /all [enter]
>
> What we're interested in seeing are the IP addresses for the computers
> and the gateway.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Thanks for the reply. Yes you are correct - internet works on the laptop.
The details I have are obtained from ipconfig are as follows

XP wired computer:
Physical address:...... 00-0C-79-13-64-37
IP address:............... 192.168.1.100
Subnet mask:............ 255.255.255.0
Default gateway:....... 192.168.1.1
DHCP server:............ 192.168.1.1
DNS servers:............ 62.31.144.39
195.188.53.175
62.31.112.39

Vista laptop:

Physical address:.......... 00-1B-9E-3A-F0-85
Loval-link IPv6 address.. fe80::f113:7d88:9757:6fb4%11
IP address:.................. 192.168.1.102
Subnet mask:............... 255.255.255.0
DHCP server:............... 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID................ 1845564466
DNS servers:................ 62.31.144.39
195.188.53.175
62.31.112.39

Thanks again

Lou wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Yes you are correct - internet works on the laptop.
> The details I have are obtained from ipconfig are as follows
>
> XP wired computer:
> Physical address:...... 00-0C-79-13-64-37
> IP address:............... 192.168.1.100
> Subnet mask:............ 255.255.255.0
> Default gateway:....... 192.168.1.1
> DHCP server:............ 192.168.1.1

> Vista laptop:
>
> Physical address:.......... 00-1B-9E-3A-F0-85
> Loval-link IPv6 address.. fe80::f113:7d88:9757:6fb4%11
> IP address:.................. 192.168.1.102
> Subnet mask:............... 255.255.255.0
> Default gateway:.......... 192.168.1.1
> DHCP server:............... 192.168.1.1

OK, all machines are on the same subnet. You don't have two networks.
You have one Local Area Network (LAN) where some of the machines connect
wired and one connects wirelessly. This means that you haven't got
file/printer sharing set up correctly. Here are general networking
troubleshooting steps; not everything may be applicable to you so just
take the bits that are. It looks like a lot of information but if you
approach it calmly and systematically it is not difficult to do and you
will be sharing files and printers in a short time.

his link will take you through Vista networking very well:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it. Read through the general networking tips
below and if you still are having difficulties, MVP Hans-Georg Michna
has an excellent small network troubleshooter here:

http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Taking the time to go through his troubleshooter will usually pinpoint
the source of the problem(s).

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

B. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

1. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
accounts/passwords on all computers.

2. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Lou

Re: Wired and Wireless networks
Thank you Malke

I have sorted it (firwall and configuration of Vista computer)

You're a star

Lou

Lou wrote:
> Thank you Malke
>
> I have sorted it (firwall and configuration of Vista computer)
>
> You're a star

Thank you for the kind words but don't forget that your persistence and
patience is what got the job done. Thanks so much for taking the time to
let me know you got it sorted.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
bootsy69

Re: Wired and Wireless networks
hello i know this post is old but some one may still check it and know whats
wrong??

i have vista on my desk top, and on my lap. through the lap i can copy files
etc down load updates but not axcess any web pages! however the lap can see
the desk top, but not the other way around?
i have a sky router which is hard wiired to the desk top, it has 3 spare
wireless sub channels.

how the heck do i get the lap top online and make the desk top see the lap
top??