Please Help! I want to turn my old PC into a File Server

Nikki

Please Help! I want to turn my old PC into a File Server
Hi my company is very small--we have only 3-4 employees and I have one old
PC which is Windows 2000 and 3 new Windows Vista 2007 computers. If I want
to turn the old PC into a "File Server", is it possible that when I link all
of 3 computers to the File Server then they can talk to one another? Do I
have any problem with that because of old version and new version of
Microsoft? (I know that I have to add memory and network card to the old PC
but "Do I have to buy Vista and install it in the old PC as well?") I want to
save my Access database backend in the File Server but I'm not sure that I
can do it. I'm new with Access and computer network so I do appreciate for
any suggestion. Thanks

--
Nikki
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Please Help! I want to turn my old PC into a File Server
What do you mean "File Server"? Windows 2003 server? Vista should be able to
access the shared data in Windows 2000. If you do want to upgrade to a new
OS, you do need to buy the license.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Nikki" <Nikki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi my company is very small--we have only 3-4 employees and I have one old
> PC which is Windows 2000 and 3 new Windows Vista 2007 computers. If I
> want
> to turn the old PC into a "File Server", is it possible that when I link
> all
> of 3 computers to the File Server then they can talk to one another? Do I
> have any problem with that because of old version and new version of
> Microsoft? (I know that I have to add memory and network card to the old
> PC
> but "Do I have to buy Vista and install it in the old PC as well?") I want
> save my Access database backend in the File Server but I'm not sure that I
> can do it. I'm new with Access and computer network so I do appreciate
> for
> any suggestion. Thanks
>
> --
> Nikki

Malke

Nikki wrote:
> Hi my company is very small--we have only 3-4 employees and I have one old
> PC which is Windows 2000 and 3 new Windows Vista 2007 computers. If I want
> to turn the old PC into a "File Server", is it possible that when I link all
> of 3 computers to the File Server then they can talk to one another? Do I
> have any problem with that because of old version and new version of
> Microsoft? (I know that I have to add memory and network card to the old PC
> but "Do I have to buy Vista and install it in the old PC as well?") I want to
> save my Access database backend in the File Server but I'm not sure that I
> can do it. I'm new with Access and computer network so I do appreciate for
> any suggestion. Thanks

Please don't multipost. You've already gotten several answers in your
other thread (one of which was mine). If you feel your issue should be
posted to more than one newsgroup, please crosspost to a few groups instead.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com