Windows Explorer not seeing wireless laptop

Peter K

Windows Explorer not seeing wireless laptop
I have a setup of three Desktops, two running Vista Ultimate and one Win
XP-SP2, all wired to a router/switch plus one laptop running Vista Business,
with wifi connection to the router.

All three Vista network maps show all four computers correctly arranged.

However,

in Widows Explorer the wire-connected machines 'see' each other but not the
wifi connected laptop.
The wifi connected laptop sees himself and one of the desktops running Vista
Ultimate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Windows Explorer not seeing wireless laptop
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:54:02 -0700, Peter K <PeterK@discusions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a setup of three Desktops, two running Vista Ultimate and one Win
>XP-SP2, all wired to a router/switch plus one laptop running Vista Business,
>with wifi connection to the router.
>
>All three Vista network maps show all four computers correctly arranged.
>
>However,
>
>in Widows Explorer the wire-connected machines 'see' each other but not the
>wifi connected laptop.
>The wifi connected laptop sees himself and one of the desktops running Vista
>Ultimate.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peter,

I'll bet that you have a master browser conflict. Look at logs from "browstat
status" for all 4 computers. Note that you must download browstat.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...microsoft.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Peter K

Re: Windows Explorer not seeing wireless laptop
Thxs, Chuck, for your reply.

I ran the software on all four machines, but, it does not tell me anything.

On the wire connected desktops all have essentially the same report:

Status for domain HOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F79C0110-57A9-43DB-8174-48E1BA2AE3B7}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: LINKSYSWRT350N
Could not connect to registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build of
browser master: 5
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
1 backup servers retrieved from master LINKSYSWRT350N
\\LINKSYSWRT350N
There are 3 servers in domain HOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F79C0110-57A9-43DB-8174-48E1BA2AE3B7}
There are 1 domains in domain HOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F79C0110-57A9-43DB-8174-48E1BA2AE3B7}

On the wifi connected laptop the reply is

Status for domain HOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{76AD7774-26EA-4DE2-830C-964748BCFFCF}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Neither tells me anything. On the laptop, I ran it several times & once
with a browser window open & connected to rhe internet. Always the same
reply.

Also, the problem is really in my home network, on the 'computer side' of
the router. In theory, I could disconnect the modem, i.e. cut off from the
internet & I would still have the same responses by Win Explorer,
inconsistent with the correctly presented network maps.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:44:05 -0700, Peter K <PeterK@discusions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:54:02 -0700, Peter K <PeterK@discusions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a setup of three Desktops, two running Vista Ultimate and one Win
>> >XP-SP2, all wired to a router/switch plus one laptop running Vista Business,
>> >with wifi connection to the router.
>> >
>> >All three Vista network maps show all four computers correctly arranged.
>> >
>> >However,
>> >
>> >in Widows Explorer the wire-connected machines 'see' each other but not the
>> >wifi connected laptop.
>> >The wifi connected laptop sees himself and one of the desktops running Vista
>> >Ultimate.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>> Peter,
>>
>> I'll bet that you have a master browser conflict. Look at logs from "browstat
>> status" for all 4 computers. Note that you must download browstat.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...microsoft.html

>Thxs, Chuck, for your reply.
>
>I ran the software on all four machines, but, it does not tell me anything.
>
>On the wire connected desktops all have essentially the same report:
>>>>>>>>>

>Status for domain HOME on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F79C0110-57A9-43DB-8174-48E1BA2AE3B7}
> Browsing is active on domain.
> Master browser name is: LINKSYSWRT350N
>Could not connect to registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build of
>browser master: 5
> Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
> 1 backup servers retrieved from master LINKSYSWRT350N
> \\LINKSYSWRT350N
> There are 3 servers in domain HOME on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F79C0110-57A9-43DB-8174-48E1BA2AE3B7}
> There are 1 domains in domain HOME on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F79C0110-57A9-43DB-8174-48E1BA2AE3B7}
>>>>>>>>>

>On the wifi connected laptop the reply is
>

>Status for domain HOME on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{76AD7774-26EA-4DE2-830C-964748BCFFCF}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>>>>>

>Neither tells me anything. On the laptop, I ran it several times & once
>with a browser window open & connected to rhe internet. Always the same
>reply.
>
>Also, the problem is really in my home network, on the 'computer side' of
>the router. In theory, I could disconnect the modem, i.e. cut off from the
>internet & I would still have the same responses by Win Explorer,
>inconsistent with the correctly presented network maps.

Peter,

The term "browser" has nothing to do with the Internet. The NT browser is what
lets you see computers in My Network Places / Network Neighborhood.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html

When you say "all have essentially the same report", that is essentially the
same to you. Trained eyes can spot useful details.

We'll start with the problem laptop though.
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.

This indicates, most frequently, either a NetBT setting or personal firewall
problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

A third possibility is an LSP / Winsock problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Peter K

Re: Windows Explorer not seeing wireless laptop
Thxs, Chuck.

Sorry that I made the mistake of associating 'browser' with MS IE.

Problem solved. As your reply suggested, fire wall settings were indeed the
problem. Including all local machines in the trusted zone on all machines
resolved the problem.

Thxs again, Peter K

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:22:01 -0700, Peter K <PeterK@discusions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> [...]

>> same to you. Trained eyes can spot useful details.
>>
>> We'll start with the problem laptop though.
>> > Browsing is NOT active on domain.

>> This indicates, most frequently, either a NetBT setting or personal firewall
>> problem.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> A third possibility is an LSP / Winsock problem.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

>Thxs, Chuck.
>
>Sorry that I made the mistake of associating 'browser' with MS IE.
>
>Problem solved. As your reply suggested, fire wall settings were indeed the
>problem. Including all local machines in the trusted zone on all machines

Good job, Peter. Thanks for the update.
<http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot.com/2006/09/peer-support-it-works-only-if-you-help.html>
http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot...-you-help.html

--