Network computer login and permissions

ZeldaFreak

Network computer login and permissions
Hello, I am a fairly experienced windows user and am in charge of maintaining
a home network of a little more than half a dozen computers. Being the
administrator, I'd like to be able to share large portions of a person's
harddrive and allow me to connect to it remotely.

I'm having a problem with logging into a person's computer. Some of them I
have already logged into with their user name/passwords and thus have limited
access to the computer. I can find no method of logging in with different
credentials, so how is this done?

I'd like to set up the permissions for the shared folders so that my current
user would be able to access all the computers in the network. But in the
folder permissions dialog, I cannot add any user that is not on that PC
locally. Is it possible to add a "location" to the dialog so I can do this?
Or any other method?

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network computer login and permissions
I don't think you can do that. However, you may have two options. Assuming
you are the administrator, you logon the administrator or run as
administrator if other user logon and I don't want to relogon.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"ZeldaFreak" <ZeldaFreak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am a fairly experienced windows user and am in charge of
> maintaining
> a home network of a little more than half a dozen computers. Being the
> administrator, I'd like to be able to share large portions of a person's
> harddrive and allow me to connect to it remotely.
>
> I'm having a problem with logging into a person's computer. Some of them I
> have already logged into with their user name/passwords and thus have
> limited
> access to the computer. I can find no method of logging in with different
> credentials, so how is this done?
>
> I'd like to set up the permissions for the shared folders so that my
> current
> user would be able to access all the computers in the network. But in the
> folder permissions dialog, I cannot add any user that is not on that PC
> locally. Is it possible to add a "location" to the dialog so I can do
> this?
> Or any other method?

ZeldaFreak

Re: Network computer login and permissions
I assume you are speaking of the last paragraph. What of the second, then?

When I first attempted to access a shared folder on a Vista computer, I was
prompted for a username and password. I entered the main user's account
credentials and logged on in that way. Now, however, I have demoted that user
and have added a new administrator, and would like to be able to relogin to
that computer with the new credentials.

Are you saying that is not possible?