Sharing a printer

happydude

Sharing a printer
I have been attempting to access a network printer on a laptop with Vista
Premium. The printer itself is hooked-up to a desktop computer with XP Home
Edition that connects to the internet via a PCI wireless card. It has no
issues connecting to a Netgear wireless router using a DSL modem.

The XP Home computer and the Vista laptop both have the same workgroup names.
Both are set-up as a Private Network, The printer on the XP machine is set
to be shared. Network discovery, File sharing, Public folder sharing and
Printer sharing are set to on in Vista.

When I try to add a wireless, network, or bluetooth printer in Vista it
cannot find the printer that hooked up to the XP Home desktop.

The XP nor the Vista machine cannot find each other.

Any suggestions to help these computer find each other would be appreciated.
--
Cheers,
John
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing a printer
Can they ping each other by IP? If not, I would check the firewall first.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"happydude" <happydude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been attempting to access a network printer on a laptop with Vista
> Premium. The printer itself is hooked-up to a desktop computer with XP
> Edition that connects to the internet via a PCI wireless card. It has no
> issues connecting to a Netgear wireless router using a DSL modem.
>
> The XP Home computer and the Vista laptop both have the same workgroup
> names.
> Both are set-up as a Private Network, The printer on the XP machine is set
> to be shared. Network discovery, File sharing, Public folder sharing and
> Printer sharing are set to on in Vista.
>
> When I try to add a wireless, network, or bluetooth printer in Vista it
> cannot find the printer that hooked up to the XP Home desktop.
>
> The XP nor the Vista machine cannot find each other.
>
> Any suggestions to help these computer find each other would be
> appreciated.
> --
> Cheers,
> John