Wifi limited to 54mbps?

Rob

Wifi limited to 54mbps?
I have tried with Netgear, Belkin and Edimax SuperG or higher adaptors
connecting to a Netgear 108 mbps (DG834GT) router but can only get 54mbps.

All the adaptors say Vista compatible. Is this a current limitation or has
anybody else managed to get faster?
--
Rob
Barb Bowman

Re: Wifi limited to 54mbps?
the super G 108 is proprietary to Atheros. it relied on a
manufacturers utility in XP to achieve this proprietary rate. I
haven't seen any vendor utilities to enable this on Vista. You'd
have to check with the individual vendors. I'd start with Netgear.
Let us know what their answer is.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 05:40:03 -0700, Rob
<Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have tried with Netgear, Belkin and Edimax SuperG or higher adaptors
>connecting to a Netgear 108 mbps (DG834GT) router but can only get 54mbps.
>
>All the adaptors say Vista compatible. Is this a current limitation or has
>anybody else managed to get faster?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Rob

Re: Wifi limited to 54mbps?
Netgear say their drivers support it but it is a Vista issue which does not
but Microsoft are working on it. However just was not convinced they really
knew what they were talking about.
--
Rob

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> the super G 108 is proprietary to Atheros. it relied on a
> manufacturers utility in XP to achieve this proprietary rate. I
> haven't seen any vendor utilities to enable this on Vista. You'd
> have to check with the individual vendors. I'd start with Netgear.
> Let us know what their answer is.
>
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 05:40:03 -0700, Rob
> <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have tried with Netgear, Belkin and Edimax SuperG or higher adaptors
> >connecting to a Netgear 108 mbps (DG834GT) router but can only get 54mbps.
> >
> >All the adaptors say Vista compatible. Is this a current limitation or has
> >anybody else managed to get faster?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Dwarf

RE: Wifi limited to 54mbps?
Hi Rob,

This router connects to the Internet via your phone line which transfers
data at a much lower speed than 54Mbs anyway. If you check the website, it
states "Wireless: 802.11g Access Point auto rate capable up to 108 Mbps".
Notice the words "up to". The actual speed you will get depends on a number
of factors - the distance between the receiver and transmitter, the make of
receiver (I always recommend that the transmitter and receiver are from the
same manufacturer), atmospheric conditions (being wireless they can be
susceptible to the same sort of interference as ordinary radio) and the
location of the devices in your home (mains wiring also radiates an
electromagnetic field). All of these together will reduce the maximum speed
(which is a theoretical maximum anyway). As long as the data rate from your
ISP is lower than the connection between your router and PC then personally I
wouldn't worry about it, providing, of course, you are not having data loss
problems. For your information, I use a Netgear DG834G router that is
connected to my PC via Ethernet at a rate of 100Mbs, although my ISP data
rate is only 2Mbs. The only way to get substantially increased data rates
from ISPs will be for the phone network to be upgraded to fibre optic
technology. As it stands, the maximum data transfer rate of your ISP is
governed chiefly by the last link in the chain, ie the distance that you are
away from the exchange, the further away you are the slower the speed.
Dwarf

"Rob" wrote:

> I have tried with Netgear, Belkin and Edimax SuperG or higher adaptors
> connecting to a Netgear 108 mbps (DG834GT) router but can only get 54mbps.
>
> All the adaptors say Vista compatible. Is this a current limitation or has
> anybody else managed to get faster?
> --
> Rob

Rob

RE: Wifi limited to 54mbps?
Before Vista I had 108mbps every day for the last 2 years without a single
issue. With Vista 54mbps. Nothing to do with conditions - it is Vista.
--
Rob

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> This router connects to the Internet via your phone line which transfers
> data at a much lower speed than 54Mbs anyway. If you check the website, it
> states "Wireless: 802.11g Access Point auto rate capable up to 108 Mbps".
> Notice the words "up to". The actual speed you will get depends on a number
> of factors - the distance between the receiver and transmitter, the make of
> receiver (I always recommend that the transmitter and receiver are from the
> same manufacturer), atmospheric conditions (being wireless they can be
> susceptible to the same sort of interference as ordinary radio) and the
> location of the devices in your home (mains wiring also radiates an
> electromagnetic field). All of these together will reduce the maximum speed
> (which is a theoretical maximum anyway). As long as the data rate from your
> ISP is lower than the connection between your router and PC then personally I
> wouldn't worry about it, providing, of course, you are not having data loss
> problems. For your information, I use a Netgear DG834G router that is
> connected to my PC via Ethernet at a rate of 100Mbs, although my ISP data
> rate is only 2Mbs. The only way to get substantially increased data rates
> from ISPs will be for the phone network to be upgraded to fibre optic
> technology. As it stands, the maximum data transfer rate of your ISP is
> governed chiefly by the last link in the chain, ie the distance that you are
> away from the exchange, the further away you are the slower the speed.
> Dwarf
>
> "Rob" wrote:
>
> > I have tried with Netgear, Belkin and Edimax SuperG or higher adaptors
> > connecting to a Netgear 108 mbps (DG834GT) router but can only get 54mbps.
> >
> > All the adaptors say Vista compatible. Is this a current limitation or has
> > anybody else managed to get faster?
> > --
> > Rob

Jaarons

RE: Wifi limited to 54mbps?
I see the same issue with my Netgear Wireless N Router. Their utility shows
two channels bonded for 270Mbps, but Vista doesn't report more than 54Mbps.
Clearly a bug, I'm unable to find a KB article on this.

I'm using a Netgear WN121T (Wireless N)(Vista 32-bit) and a Pavillion
dv9580us with Intel ABN4965 card (Vista 64-bit)

"Rob" wrote:

> I have tried with Netgear, Belkin and Edimax SuperG or higher adaptors
> connecting to a Netgear 108 mbps (DG834GT) router but can only get 54mbps.
>
> All the adaptors say Vista compatible. Is this a current limitation or has
> anybody else managed to get faster?
> --
> Rob

Jaarons