'HOME' network invisible but can connect

BrianBeemer

'HOME' network invisible but can connect

I have a home network, funnily enough called 'HOME', that is working
fine with 4 other computers, a desktop PC as the main controller and 3
laptops. I just bought my first Vista machine (Home Basic) and after a
lot of hassle managed to get it to connect to the router and thence to
the internet but that's about it.

My other systems are able to see the new laptop (Compaq Presario 502US)
on the network but unable to access it. The new laptop is unable to see
anything on the 'Network' page.

I have managed to set up one of the shared printers (sits on the main
PC) by typing in the address as it appears in my other laptops, and
behold it did print from the Vista machine. I can see the printer I set
up from the control panel, but not from the user's printers folder.

This is driving me nuts!

I want to set up the Vista laptop so that I can look at the HOME
network from the network folder, and I want to be able to access the
shared folders on the Vista machine from the other computers on the
network for file sharing purposes. Sounds simple, and was until I got
Vista!

The main PC is an IBM NetVista running Win2K, my own laptop is an HP
running WinXP Pro and the other laptops are also IBM's running Win2k,
all with the latest updates. All the systems are running Norton
antivirus, all fully up to date, and all have the same settings.

If I had another XP Pro set of disks I would install them on the new
laptop as this is SOooooo hard.

What do I need to do? I've read lots of posts in here and can't find
any that seem to match my problem closely enough, so apologies if this
is a repeat question.

Thanks.....

--
BrianBeemer
Mick Murphy

RE: 'HOME' network invisible but can connect

Have you changed vista'a workgroup name to HOME?
In Vista Network and Sharing, make sure that:
1 network discovery is ON
2 file sharing is ON
3 public folder sharing is ON (That is XPs Shared Docs)
4 Network is set to private
5 password protect is OFF

Have a read of the above link.