Repost of Dire Request for Help: Laptop works with Wireless when NOT passworded; will not work when passworded

SD

Repost of Dire Request for Help: Laptop works with Wireless when NOT passworded; will not work when passworded
Hi...

My Gateway laptop (Vista Home Premium) works fine with my Trendnet
wireless router (connected to Comcast cable modem) -- as long as the
router is not encrypted with a password.

As soon as I implement WEP encryption with a password, although it can
still see the wireless connection, it is unable to connect.

Please help.
SS

Malke

Re: Repost of Dire Request for Help: Laptop works with Wirelesswhen NOT passworded; will not work when passworded
SD wrote:
> Hi...
>
> My Gateway laptop (Vista Home Premium) works fine with my Trendnet
> wireless router (connected to Comcast cable modem) -- as long as the
> router is not encrypted with a password.
>
> As soon as I implement WEP encryption with a password, although it can
> still see the wireless connection, it is unable to connect.
>
> Please help.
> SS

1. Although this KB article and downloadable update is related to
hibernation and doesn't fit your situation exactly, it apparently fixed
a poster's problem with only WEP working and not WPA. I think it is
worth a try in your case.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/933872/en-us

2. You can also run this MS program to see if your wireless router is
compatible with Vista:

MS Internet Connectivity Evalution Tool -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

3. Contact Trendnet to see if they know of any issues, workarounds,
firmware updates, etc. for your router. If Trendnet says your router is
not compatible with Vista and they are not planning to update it,
purchase another router.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
GTS

Re: Repost of Dire Request for Help: Laptop works with Wireless when NOT passworded; will not work when passworded
Try entering the WEP key to the laptop using HEX rather than ASCII.
Sometimes there are issues in the conversion among different manufacturers.
It would be preferable to use WPA if possible for better security.
--

news64ff3hbqs751qbg343f82t67auiekoccc@4ax.com...