Can't access a pc in a noetwork

Edo

Can't access a pc in a noetwork
Hi,

I've asked a question recently about configuring an ad hoc network.
Unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem.

So I've tried another solution: instead of an ad hoc network, a simple
wireless network with a router, a desktop with windows xp professional and a
notebook with vista home premium. I want the pcs to share folders and to
access the internet.

After trying many suggestions I've read in internet, I could manage to have
the two pcs view each other. But when I try to access them,I get an error
telling me I can't access the other pc.

These are the solutions I've already tried, without any success: disable the
firewalls (all of them); setting the same account with same password on both
pcs; set an IP adress for both pcs (192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4 ,
255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask for both, 192.168.2.1 as gateway for both and
192.168.2.1 as DNS for both); disable the dhcp server on the router; share
some folders on the two pcs.

That's all I've tried so far. Could anyone suggest me a possible solution?

Thank you very much
Mick Murphy

RE: Can't access a pc in a noetwork
You complicate things. Run the XP home network setup wizard to share files
and printer.
You have already been advised what to do about Vista'a settings.

"Edo" wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've asked a question recently about configuring an ad hoc network.
> Unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem.
>
> So I've tried another solution: instead of an ad hoc network, a simple
> wireless network with a router, a desktop with windows xp professional and a
> notebook with vista home premium. I want the pcs to share folders and to
> access the internet.
>
> After trying many suggestions I've read in internet, I could manage to have
> the two pcs view each other. But when I try to access them,I get an error
> telling me I can't access the other pc.
>
> These are the solutions I've already tried, without any success: disable the
> firewalls (all of them); setting the same account with same password on both
> pcs; set an IP adress for both pcs (192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4 ,
> 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask for both, 192.168.2.1 as gateway for both and
> 192.168.2.1 as DNS for both); disable the dhcp server on the router; share
> some folders on the two pcs.
>
> That's all I've tried so far. Could anyone suggest me a possible solution?
>
> Thank you very much

Edo

RE: Can't access a pc in a noetwork
I've run the xp home network wizard and configured Vista's settings as the
how-to says.

This is the error I get when I try to access the vista pc from xp (I'll
translate it in english):

"Impossible to access \\COMPUTERNAME. The user could not have enough rights
to use this net resource. Not able to find the network path."

And when I access the xp comp from vista i get this error:

"Impossible to access \\COMPUTERNAME - A network component doesn't work
properly. A Layered Service Provider isn't up-to-date."

And below I have the option to "delete the component that doesn't work
properly"

What sould I do??

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You complicate things. Run the XP home network setup wizard to share files
> and printer.
> You have already been advised what to do about Vista'a settings.

> "Edo" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I've asked a question recently about configuring an ad hoc network.
> > Unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem.
> >
> > So I've tried another solution: instead of an ad hoc network, a simple
> > wireless network with a router, a desktop with windows xp professional and a
> > notebook with vista home premium. I want the pcs to share folders and to
> > access the internet.
> >
> > After trying many suggestions I've read in internet, I could manage to have
> > the two pcs view each other. But when I try to access them,I get an error
> > telling me I can't access the other pc.
> >
> > These are the solutions I've already tried, without any success: disable the
> > firewalls (all of them); setting the same account with same password on both
> > pcs; set an IP adress for both pcs (192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4 ,
> > 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask for both, 192.168.2.1 as gateway for both and
> > 192.168.2.1 as DNS for both); disable the dhcp server on the router; share
> > some folders on the two pcs.
> >
> > That's all I've tried so far. Could anyone suggest me a possible solution?
> >
> > Thank you very much

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't access a pc in a noetwork
Do a simple test, if you turn off the firewall on both computers, can you
ping each other by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Edo" <Edo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've run the xp home network wizard and configured Vista's settings as the
> how-to says.
>
> This is the error I get when I try to access the vista pc from xp (I'll
> translate it in english):
>
> "Impossible to access \\COMPUTERNAME. The user could not have enough
> rights
> to use this net resource. Not able to find the network path."
>

> And when I access the xp comp from vista i get this error:
>
> "Impossible to access \\COMPUTERNAME - A network component doesn't work
> properly. A Layered Service Provider isn't up-to-date."
>
> And below I have the option to "delete the component that doesn't work
> properly"
>

> What sould I do??
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> You complicate things. Run the XP home network setup wizard to share
>> files
>> and printer.
>> You have already been advised what to do about Vista'a settings.
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>>
>> "Edo" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >

>> > I've asked a question recently about configuring an ad hoc network.
>> > Unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem.
>> >
>> > So I've tried another solution: instead of an ad hoc network, a simple
>> > wireless network with a router, a desktop with windows xp professional
>> > and a
>> > notebook with vista home premium. I want the pcs to share folders and
>> > access the internet.
>> >
>> > After trying many suggestions I've read in internet, I could manage to
>> > have
>> > the two pcs view each other. But when I try to access them,I get an
>> > error
>> > telling me I can't access the other pc.
>> >
>> > These are the solutions I've already tried, without any success:
>> > disable the
>> > firewalls (all of them); setting the same account with same password on
>> > both
>> > pcs; set an IP adress for both pcs (192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4 ,
>> > 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask for both, 192.168.2.1 as gateway for
>> > both and
>> > 192.168.2.1 as DNS for both); disable the dhcp server on the router;
>> > share
>> > some folders on the two pcs.
>> >
>> > That's all I've tried so far. Could anyone suggest me a possible
>> > solution?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much

Edo

Re: Can't access a pc in a noetwork
I don't know how to ping each other computer....