Vista firewall and file & printer sharing

NickM

Vista firewall and file & printer sharing
I am sharing a printer on my Vista Home Premium machine with two other PCs on
a wireless network. Sharing works fine provided the "File and Printer
Sharing" checkbox is ticked on the Exceptions tab in the Windows Firewall
Settings. The problem is that every time the machine with the printer
attached is restarted, the firewall appears to have forgotten that the File
and Printer Sharing checkbox was ticked. How can I ensure that the firewall
always allows File and Printer Sharing?
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista firewall and file & printer sharing
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:54:00 -0700, NickM <NickM@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am sharing a printer on my Vista Home Premium machine with two other PCs on
>a wireless network. Sharing works fine provided the "File and Printer
>Sharing" checkbox is ticked on the Exceptions tab in the Windows Firewall
>Settings. The problem is that every time the machine with the printer
>attached is restarted, the firewall appears to have forgotten that the File
>and Printer Sharing checkbox was ticked. How can I ensure that the firewall
>always allows File and Printer Sharing?

Nick,

This is symptomatic of a Public network. Did you set the Network Location Type
to Private?

Is Windows Firewall the only personal firewall on the computer? What antivirus
do you use?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
NickM

Re: Vista firewall and file & printer sharing
Hi Chuck

Thanks for responding.

The Network Location Type is set to Private. I am using Windows firewall on
all 3 computers, but no other firewall. All 3 compuers are running Kaspersky
anti-virus.

I have read your articles you referred to in your reply, but still cannot
work out what my problem is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nick

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:56:01 -0700, NickM <NickM@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:54:00 -0700, NickM <NickM@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I am sharing a printer on my Vista Home Premium machine with two other PCs on
>> >a wireless network. Sharing works fine provided the "File and Printer
>> >Sharing" checkbox is ticked on the Exceptions tab in the Windows Firewall
>> >Settings. The problem is that every time the machine with the printer
>> >attached is restarted, the firewall appears to have forgotten that the File
>> >and Printer Sharing checkbox was ticked. How can I ensure that the firewall
>> >always allows File and Printer Sharing?

>> Nick,
>>
>> This is symptomatic of a Public network. Did you set the Network Location Type
>> to Private?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>>
>> Is Windows Firewall the only personal firewall on the computer? What antivirus
>> do you use?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

>Hi Chuck
>
>Thanks for responding.
>
>The Network Location Type is set to Private. I am using Windows firewall on
>all 3 computers, but no other firewall. All 3 compuers are running Kaspersky
>anti-virus.
>
>I have read your articles you referred to in your reply, but still cannot
>work out what my problem is.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks
>
>Nick

Hmm.

Kaspersky Personal Firewall has been noted here a few times as causing workgroup
segmentation (blocking browser SMBs). As has KAV which may have an antiworm
component. But I don't see the KAV antiworm causing Windows Firewall to declare
the outside of the firewall Public, causing it to close F&Ps.

Still, I'd suspect that KAV is involved in the problem.

Just to make sure - this isn't OneCare instead of Windows Firewall?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/08/bundled-antivirus-and-personal.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-personal.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
NickM

Re: Vista firewall and file & printer sharing
Thanks again Chuck

I have e-mailed Kaspersky support for advice.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Nick

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:56:01 -0700, NickM <NickM@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> >> Nick,
> >>
> >> This is symptomatic of a Public network. Did you set the Network Location Type
> >> to Private?
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
> >>
> >> Is Windows Firewall the only personal firewall on the computer? What antivirus
> >> do you use?
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

> >Hi Chuck
> >
> >Thanks for responding.
> >
> >The Network Location Type is set to Private. I am using Windows firewall on
> >all 3 computers, but no other firewall. All 3 compuers are running Kaspersky
> >anti-virus.
> >
> >I have read your articles you referred to in your reply, but still cannot
> >work out what my problem is.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Nick

> Hmm.
>
> Kaspersky Personal Firewall has been noted here a few times as causing workgroup
> segmentation (blocking browser SMBs). As has KAV which may have an antiworm
> component. But I don't see the KAV antiworm causing Windows Firewall to declare
> the outside of the firewall Public, causing it to close F&Ps.
>
> Still, I'd suspect that KAV is involved in the problem.
>
> Just to make sure - this isn't OneCare instead of Windows Firewall?
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/08/bundled-antivirus-and-personal.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-personal.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

NickM

Re: Vista firewall and file & printer sharing
Hi Chuck

On Kaspersky's advice I have tried uninstalling Kaspersky Anti Virus (KAV)
and seeing whether the Firewall remembers that the "File and Printer Sharing"
checkbox should be ticked on the Exceptions tab.

However, uninstalling KAV made no difference, so I've reinstalled it.

In the process of testing the effectiveness of removing KAV I restarted the
computer about 6 times, and noticed that on one occasion the firewall did
remember the ticked exception box - but only on one occasion and repeated
testing did not reproduce the event.

If you can suggest anything else I could do I would be very grateful.

Kind regards

Nick

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:34:24 -0700, NickM <NickM@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"NickM" wrote:
>
>> Thanks again Chuck
>>
>> I have e-mailed Kaspersky support for advice.
>>
>> I'll let you know the outcome.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

>> > Hmm.
>> >
>> > Kaspersky Personal Firewall has been noted here a few times as causing workgroup
>> > segmentation (blocking browser SMBs). As has KAV which may have an antiworm
>> > component. But I don't see the KAV antiworm causing Windows Firewall to declare
>> > the outside of the firewall Public, causing it to close F&Ps.
>> >
>> > Still, I'd suspect that KAV is involved in the problem.
>> >
>> > Just to make sure - this isn't OneCare instead of Windows Firewall?
>> > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/08/bundled-antivirus-and-personal.html>
>> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-personal.html

>Hi Chuck
>
>On Kaspersky's advice I have tried uninstalling Kaspersky Anti Virus (KAV)
>and seeing whether the Firewall remembers that the "File and Printer Sharing"
>checkbox should be ticked on the Exceptions tab.
>
>However, uninstalling KAV made no difference, so I've reinstalled it.
>
>In the process of testing the effectiveness of removing KAV I restarted the
>computer about 6 times, and noticed that on one occasion the firewall did
>remember the ticked exception box - but only on one occasion and repeated
>testing did not reproduce the event.

Nick,

Any time you un install anything security related, looking at LSP / Winsock
damage is a good idea. Some tools, I believe, are Vista compliant. Remember to
run everything as administrator.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

--