Network window is totally empty!

Sam

Network window is totally empty!
I don't know what happened, but I just noticed that when I click on
"Network" that it shows nothing at all. It used to show 4-5 other
computers in my home network. We're all in the same Workgroup and I just
checked to verify that nothing has changed. Stopping Windows Firewall
makes no difference.

I can access all the other computers in our network by manually typing
in their addresses. I've even created shortcuts to their locations, but
I shouldn't have to do this. Everything else on the network works
great... no problems accessing the Internet at all. I have Vista 32
Business.

So why is my local network hiding? Thanks.

Sam
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Network window is totally empty!
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:02:17 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:

>I don't know what happened, but I just noticed that when I click on
>"Network" that it shows nothing at all. It used to show 4-5 other
>computers in my home network. We're all in the same Workgroup and I just
>checked to verify that nothing has changed. Stopping Windows Firewall
>makes no difference.
>
>I can access all the other computers in our network by manually typing
>in their addresses. I've even created shortcuts to their locations, but
>I shouldn't have to do this. Everything else on the network works
>great... no problems accessing the Internet at all. I have Vista 32
>Business.
>
>So why is my local network hiding? Thanks.
>
>Sam

Probably a NetBT setting or personal firewall problem. Have you maybe changed
antivirus protection?
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Take a look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Sam

Re: Network window is totally empty!
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:16:25 -0700, "Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:02:17 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:
>
>>I don't know what happened, but I just noticed that when I click on
>>"Network" that it shows nothing at all. It used to show 4-5 other
>>computers in my home network. We're all in the same Workgroup and I just
>>checked to verify that nothing has changed. Stopping Windows Firewall
>>makes no difference.
>>
>>I can access all the other computers in our network by manually typing
>>in their addresses. I've even created shortcuts to their locations, but
>>I shouldn't have to do this. Everything else on the network works
>>great... no problems accessing the Internet at all. I have Vista 32
>>Business.
>>
>>So why is my local network hiding? Thanks.
>>
>>Sam

>Probably a NetBT setting or personal firewall problem. Have you maybe changed
>antivirus protection?
><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>
>Take a look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
>computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
>follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

Everything looks OK on the other computers. And, they can see me just
fine. NetBIOS is enabled on them.

One thing odd on my machine is that the Service "Computer Browser"
starts and just stops immediately after. There are no dependency errors
and no related errors in my Event Log. Could this be the problem?

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:58:21 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:16:25 -0700, "Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:02:17 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know what happened, but I just noticed that when I click on
>>>"Network" that it shows nothing at all. It used to show 4-5 other
>>>computers in my home network. We're all in the same Workgroup and I just
>>>checked to verify that nothing has changed. Stopping Windows Firewall
>>>makes no difference.
>>>
>>>I can access all the other computers in our network by manually typing
>>>in their addresses. I've even created shortcuts to their locations, but
>>>I shouldn't have to do this. Everything else on the network works
>>>great... no problems accessing the Internet at all. I have Vista 32
>>>Business.
>>>
>>>So why is my local network hiding? Thanks.
>>>
>>>Sam

>>Probably a NetBT setting or personal firewall problem. Have you maybe changed
>>antivirus protection?
>><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>>Take a look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
>>computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
>>follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>Everything looks OK on the other computers. And, they can see me just
>fine. NetBIOS is enabled on them.
>
>One thing odd on my machine is that the Service "Computer Browser"
>starts and just stops immediately after. There are no dependency errors
>and no related errors in my Event Log. Could this be the problem?

Could be a problem, or at least a very useful symptom. Run CPSServ on your
computer, and a couple others.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/04/cpsserv-comprehensive-psservice-source.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ce-source.html

--
Cheers,

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:43:15 -0700, "Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:58:21 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:16:25 -0700, "Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net>
>>wrote:

>>>Probably a NetBT setting or personal firewall problem. Have you maybe changed
>>>antivirus protection?
>>><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>>>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>>
>>>Take a look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
>>>computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
>>>follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>>><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>>>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>>Everything looks OK on the other computers. And, they can see me just
>>fine. NetBIOS is enabled on them.
>>
>>One thing odd on my machine is that the Service "Computer Browser"
>>starts and just stops immediately after. There are no dependency errors
>>and no related errors in my Event Log. Could this be the problem?

>Could be a problem, or at least a very useful symptom. Run CPSServ on your
>computer, and a couple others.
><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/04/cpsserv-comprehensive-psservice-source.html>
>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ce-source.html

I've tried everything (including CPSServ)... no luck. I'm not a network
expert by any means... normally I just plug in the computers into a
switch which is connected to a router and everything seems to work.
We're all wired with as no more than 5-6 computers set up as
peer-to-peer.

I thought I'd include the reports, just in case that can shed some light
on what's going on. I don't know enough to properly interpret them.

>C:\>browstat status
>
>Status for domain NEWCASTLE on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{274FB336-87B7-4124-A98E-704DFE80CEA3}
> Browsing is active on domain.
> Master browser name is: TEE1
>Could not connect to registry, error = 5 Unable to determine
>build of browser master: 5
> Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
> 1 backup servers retrieved from master TEE1
> \\TEE1
> There are 3 servers in domain NEWCASTLE on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{274FB336-87B7-4124-A98E-704DFE80CEA3}
> Unable to retrieve server list from TEE1: 2127

Here's CPPServ. I don't understand what it means, so maybe someone can
explain it.

>Find Computer Browser ("browser")
>
>Checking \\SAM1...
>Found browser on:
>
>\\SAM1
>
>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>
>Checking \\TEE2...
>
>Find DHCP Client ("dhcp")
>
>Checking \\SAM1...
>Found dhcp on:
>
>\\SAM1
>
>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>
>Checking \\TEE2...
>\\TEE2
>

>Find TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper ("lmhosts")
>
>Checking \\SAM1...
>Found lmhosts on:
>
>\\SAM1
>
>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>
>Checking \\TEE2...
>\\TEE2
>

>Find Remote Registry ("remoteregistry")
>
>Checking \\SAM1...
>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>
>Checking \\TEE2...
>Found remoteregistry on:
>
>\\TEE2
>
>Find Server ("server")
>
>Checking \\SAM1...
>Found server on:
>
>\\SAM1
>
>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>
>Checking \\TEE2...
>\\TEE2
>

>Find WF / ICS ("sharedaccess")
>
>Checking \\SAM1...
>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>
>Checking \\TEE2...
>Found sharedaccess on:
>
>\\TEE2
>

>Find Workstation ("workstation")
>
>Checking \\SAM1...
>Found workstation on:
>
>\\SAM1
>
>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>
>Checking \\TEE2...
>\\TEE2

There also should have been a \\TEE1, where apparently the master
browser is located. It's there and accessible... I've even mapped it as
drive Z with no problem at all.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:29:50 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:

> [...]

>>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>>
>>Checking \\TEE2...
>>\\TEE2
>>

>>Find WF / ICS ("sharedaccess")
>>
>>Checking \\SAM1...
>>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>>
>>Checking \\TEE2...
>>Found sharedaccess on:
>>
>>\\TEE2
>>

>>Find Workstation ("workstation")
>>
>>Checking \\SAM1...
>>Found workstation on:
>>
>>\\SAM1
>>
>>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>>
>>Checking \\TEE2...
>>\\TEE2

>There also should have been a \\TEE1, where apparently the master
>browser is located. It's there and accessible... I've even mapped it as

That's a good start, Sam. Is that from Sam1, Sam2, or Tee2? Could you do the
same from the other 2 computers please?

When you map Drive Z, are you mapping it as \\Tee1\Sharename?

When you ran browstat (above), did you run it while logged in (wherever) using
an account that has administrative network access to Tee1?
>>Could not connect to registry, error = 5

says that you (whoever you are logged in as) doesn't have access to Tee1.

Chuck [Blog*Star 2006 - 2007]
Real Blogger Status: http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot.com/
Real Blogger Status Beta: http://bloggerstatusforrealbeta.blogspot.com/

--
Cheers,

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:08:01 -0700, "Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net>
wrote:

> [...]

>>>Found workstation on:
>>>
>>>\\SAM1
>>>
>>>Checking \\SAM2...Unable to open Service Control Manager database on \\\SAM2:
>>>
>>>Checking \\TEE2...
>>>\\TEE2

>>There also should have been a \\TEE1, where apparently the master
>>browser is located. It's there and accessible... I've even mapped it as
>>drive Z with no problem at all.
>>
>>Sam

>That's a good start, Sam. Is that from Sam1, Sam2, or Tee2? Could you do the
>same from the other 2 computers please?
>
>When you map Drive Z, are you mapping it as \\Tee1\Sharename?
>
>When you ran browstat (above), did you run it while logged in (wherever) using
>an account that has administrative network access to Tee1?
>>>Could not connect to registry, error = 5

>says that you (whoever you are logged in as) doesn't have access to Tee1.

I was doing the above from Sam1. Drive Z is mapped exactly as you
described it. (\\tee1\C:\) I have admin privileges on Tee1 (that's my
wife's main machine, used for web design) as well as my own machine.
I'll try the same commands on another machine or two and let you know
what happens.

All the machines on our system are running XP-Pro sp2, except me... I'm
using Vista Business. We don't have remote registry privileges set... is
that why I get that error message?

What's frustrating to me is, that in XP you could add "network places"
by specifically referencing a network address. I can find no similar
function that'll let me do that in Vista.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:43:41 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:08:01 -0700, "Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net>
>wrote:
>
>>>I've tried everything (including CPSServ)... no luck. I'm not a network
>>>expert by any means... normally I just plug in the computers into a
>>>switch which is connected to a router and everything seems to work.
>>>We're all wired with as no more than 5-6 computers set up as
>>>peer-to-peer.
>>>
>>>I thought I'd include the reports, just in case that can shed some light
>>>on what's going on. I don't know enough to properly interpret them.

>>>Here's CPPServ. I don't understand what it means, so maybe someone can
>>>explain it.

>>>There also should have been a \\TEE1, where apparently the master
>>>browser is located. It's there and accessible... I've even mapped it as
>>>drive Z with no problem at all.
>>>
>>>Sam

>>That's a good start, Sam. Is that from Sam1, Sam2, or Tee2? Could you do the
>>same from the other 2 computers please?
>>
>>When you map Drive Z, are you mapping it as \\Tee1\Sharename?
>>
>>When you ran browstat (above), did you run it while logged in (wherever) using
>>an account that has administrative network access to Tee1?

>>says that you (whoever you are logged in as) doesn't have access to Tee1.
>>
>>Chuck [Blog*Star 2006 - 2007]
>>Real Blogger Status: http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot.com/
>>Real Blogger Status Beta: http://bloggerstatusforrealbeta.blogspot.com/

>I was doing the above from Sam1. Drive Z is mapped exactly as you
>described it. (\\tee1\C:\) I have admin privileges on Tee1 (that's my
>wife's main machine, used for web design) as well as my own machine.
>I'll try the same commands on another machine or two and let you know
>what happens.
>
>All the machines on our system are running XP-Pro sp2, except me... I'm
>using Vista Business. We don't have remote registry privileges set... is
>that why I get that error message?
>
>What's frustrating to me is, that in XP you could add "network places"
>by specifically referencing a network address. I can find no similar
>function that'll let me do that in Vista.
>
>Sam

Good thoughts, Sam.

To start, under Vista, there is no default whole drive sharing. The "C$" share
doesn't exist, unless you enable it (not recommended).
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/windows-vista-and-administrative-shares.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ve-shares.html

One of the reasons why "C$" disn't exist is that you don't normally have
administrative network access. And that, I'd bet, will prevent remote registry
access. I gotta research that. Maybe granularity = remote registry access for
non-admin accounts.

I haven't tried manually adding network addresses either. More work to do
later. I'll look forward to seeing what you find out about your network too.

Cheers,