Vista closes off internet

Irongoats

Vista closes off internet
My Vista closes off internet access at all different times but my signal
shows connected. I restart my computer then I can get back on. I went thru
cable company already, they show strong signal like my icon displays just I
get closed off. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Dwarf

RE: Vista closes off internet
Hi Irongoats,

Do you have a static IP address or a dynamic one? If you have a dynamic one
(one that is allocated automatically by your ISP), then you only have that IP
address on a temporary lease. Depending on your ISP this could be 6, 12, or
24 hours. At the end of this time, this address will be dropped by your ISP
because its lease to you will have run out. When this happens, some ISPs will
automatically provide another address so that you can continue surfing, but
others won't. When this happens, just try closing IE and then restarting it
instead of restarting your machine.

Dwarf

"Irongoats" wrote:

> My Vista closes off internet access at all different times but my signal
> shows connected. I restart my computer then I can get back on. I went thru
> cable company already, they show strong signal like my icon displays just I
> get closed off. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Irongoats

RE: Vista closes off internet
I have a dynamic one. I've tried restarting IE or Firefox depending which one
I'm using at the time to no avail. I've even tried disconnecting from the net
all together then connecting and it still doesn't let me surf. Only when I
restart the machine it all comes back.

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi Irongoats,
>
> Do you have a static IP address or a dynamic one? If you have a dynamic one
> (one that is allocated automatically by your ISP), then you only have that IP
> address on a temporary lease. Depending on your ISP this could be 6, 12, or
> 24 hours. At the end of this time, this address will be dropped by your ISP
> because its lease to you will have run out. When this happens, some ISPs will
> automatically provide another address so that you can continue surfing, but
> others won't. When this happens, just try closing IE and then restarting it
> instead of restarting your machine.
>
> Dwarf
>
> "Irongoats" wrote:
>
> > My Vista closes off internet access at all different times but my signal
> > shows connected. I restart my computer then I can get back on. I went thru
> > cable company already, they show strong signal like my icon displays just I
> > get closed off. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dwarf

RE: Vista closes off internet
Hi Irongoats,

Thanks for the reply. Did you install Vista over a previous installation of
XP using upgrade media or did you use the full version? If you used the
upgrade media, then please refer to my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista
Using Upgrade Media' in the newsgroup 'Windows Vista Installation and Setup'
for detailed instructions. If, however, you have used the full version (or
have clean installed as per my post above), then it is possible that your
network driver might need updating or, if you previously used XP and needed
to install the ISPs software in order to access the internet, you might need
to locate a Vista compatible version. If you connect via Ethernet then there
shouldn't be any need to use the ISPs software providing your modem is
correctly configured. You also say that you use both IE7 and Firefox. It is
possible that there is a conflict between the two programs, and I recommend
that you set all defaults for IE7 and use that instead. If you prefer to use
Firefox, then you might need to check whether there is an updated version
available. You might also need to check your firewall and security settings.
Dwarf

"Irongoats" wrote:

> I have a dynamic one. I've tried restarting IE or Firefox depending which one
> I'm using at the time to no avail. I've even tried disconnecting from the net
> all together then connecting and it still doesn't let me surf. Only when I
> restart the machine it all comes back.

Irongoats

RE: Vista closes off internet
I did install over XP but that was a awhile back, may reinstall to see if
that works. I'll check your thread if I can find it to see what you did. My
network driver is up to date, I'm running Linksys wireless and tried
contacting them but to them it all looks good on their end just like cable
company. Thanks for the reply, I'll check your thread.

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi Irongoats,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Did you install Vista over a previous installation of
> XP using upgrade media or did you use the full version? If you used the
> upgrade media, then please refer to my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista
> Using Upgrade Media' in the newsgroup 'Windows Vista Installation and Setup'
> for detailed instructions. If, however, you have used the full version (or
> have clean installed as per my post above), then it is possible that your
> network driver might need updating or, if you previously used XP and needed
> to install the ISPs software in order to access the internet, you might need
> to locate a Vista compatible version. If you connect via Ethernet then there
> shouldn't be any need to use the ISPs software providing your modem is
> correctly configured. You also say that you use both IE7 and Firefox. It is
> possible that there is a conflict between the two programs, and I recommend
> that you set all defaults for IE7 and use that instead. If you prefer to use
> Firefox, then you might need to check whether there is an updated version
> available. You might also need to check your firewall and security settings.
> Dwarf
>
> "Irongoats" wrote:
>
> > I have a dynamic one. I've tried restarting IE or Firefox depending which one
> > I'm using at the time to no avail. I've even tried disconnecting from the net
> > all together then connecting and it still doesn't let me surf. Only when I
> > restart the machine it all comes back.

Andy

RE: Vista closes off internet
I have the EXACT same problem it sounds like. Just took a new Dell Inspiron
out of the box and internet worked fine Friday and Saturday, but today it
kicks off randomly. Mine too shows that its connected but is not. I'm not a
tech guy, but it looks as though I can see the router fine......