Dual Monitor RDC in Vista

HrundiBakshi

Dual Monitor RDC in Vista
I hear that Vista's RDC is capable to work with dual (and multiple) monitors.
How do you get it to do that? I have two dual monitor Vista Ultimate x64
computers, but I just cannot get the RDC sessions between them to span both
monitors. How does one do that?
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Dual Monitor RDC in Vista
"HrundiBakshi" <HrundiBakshi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hear that Vista's RDC is capable to work with dual (and multiple)
>monitors.
> How do you get it to do that? I have two dual monitor Vista Ultimate x64
> computers, but I just cannot get the RDC sessions between them to span
> both
> monitors. How does one do that?

Use the /span switch. Go to "Start -> Run" and type "mstsc /?" for help...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

HrundiBakshi

Re: Dual Monitor RDC in Vista
> Use the /span switch. Go to "Start -> Run" and type "mstsc /?" for help...

Thanks. I don't suppose you know how to do this using Windows' GUI, i.e. not
in command-line mode... Say I put the desired .rdp file on the desktop.
Instead of double clicking on it, how would I have to proceed? Or should I
just write a batch file...?

Thanks again, HB

>> Use the /span switch. Go to "Start -> Run" and type "mstsc /?" for
>> help...

> Thanks. I don't suppose you know how to do this using Windows' GUI, i.e.
> not
> in command-line mode... Say I put the desired .rdp file on the desktop.
> Instead of double clicking on it, how would I have to proceed? Or should I
> just write a batch file...?
>
> Thanks again, HB

I would create a batch file that includes the /span switch and the custom
..rdp file would be what you need to create. Example:

mstsc yourPc.RDP /span

Then just put a short cut on your desktop that points to the batch file.
Unfortunately I have no way to test the /span switch.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> I would create a batch file that includes the /span switch and the custom
> .rdp file would be what you need to create. Example:
>
> mstsc yourPc.RDP /span
>
> Then just put a short cut on your desktop that points to the batch file.
> Unfortunately I have no way to test the /span switch.

Thank you. I did test it, and the spanning works (see below some comments
and questions). I did also make a batch file, and that one works too.

I am, now, a little confused about the spanning issue: am I seeing both
remote monitors on my local computer, or is it that what I am seeing is just
the remote computer's main monitor stretched across my local computer's two
monitors? There are some aspects that point to the latter: (a) the remote
computer's desktop background appears stretched, (b) an RDC session always
rearranges the remote computer's icons so that all icons move to its main
monitor, prompting me to manually move them back everytime and (c) the remote
computer's taskbar (which is on the main monitor) appears stretched across my
local computer's two monitors. There is also one aspect that points to the
former: all windows maintain their positions, during and after the RDC
session.

Any opinions on this one?

Thanks, HB

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I would create a batch file that includes the /span switch and the custom
>> .rdp file would be what you need to create. Example:
>>
>> mstsc yourPc.RDP /span
>>
>> Then just put a short cut on your desktop that points to the batch file.
>> Unfortunately I have no way to test the /span switch.

> Thank you. I did test it, and the spanning works (see below some comments
> and questions). I did also make a batch file, and that one works too.
>
> I am, now, a little confused about the spanning issue: am I seeing both
> remote monitors on my local computer, or is it that what I am seeing is
> just
> the remote computer's main monitor stretched across my local computer's
> two
> monitors? There are some aspects that point to the latter: (a) the remote
> computer's desktop background appears stretched, (b) an RDC session always
> rearranges the remote computer's icons so that all icons move to its main
> monitor, prompting me to manually move them back everytime and (c) the
> remote
> computer's taskbar (which is on the main monitor) appears stretched across
> my
> local computer's two monitors. There is also one aspect that points to the
> former: all windows maintain their positions, during and after the RDC
> session.
>
> Any opinions on this one?
>
> Thanks, HB

I have never used the /span option so I have no experience with it. You
might query the TS experts over on the...

microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services

....news group for those type questions...

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

mcdonamw

Re: Dual Monitor RDC in Vista
The Vista RDP client does not fully support two seperate monitors. When you
use the /span switch, it treats the two monitors on the remote side as one
large monitor. The RDP window then spans this huge window across both of
your local monitors.

This has always been a limitation with any "terminal service" based product,
including Terminal Services itself, and also Citrix (which sits on top of TS).

Because of how the Vista RDP client uses this /span option, it's important
to note that in order for it to work, both monitors have to have the same
resolution. You can't have one resolution on one monitor and another
different resolution on the other. I'm not sure if this applies to the local
monitors, the remote monitors, or both.

I hope that helps.