Vista not showing my wireless network

stainless

Vista not showing my wireless network
I have a Buffalo WMR-G54 router connected to my PC that acts as my
wireless network.

I generally use my Windows XP laptop to connect and never have any
problem seeing the network and connecting to it. In fact, I can
generally see 6 nearby networks, including my own.

My network is on Channel 13, 802.11g, Open authentication, WEP.

Recently I have bought a Windows Vista laptop for my mother, who does
not have broadband set up yet and thus her network is not ready

I decided to use it with my network to set up firewalls, etc, via the
internet.

However, Vista is not showing my network at all and I cannot connect.
In fact, it is only showing 2 of the networks I can see from my XP
laptop.

This suggests it is not an issue with the network being set to not
broadcast (I have not set this as far as I can tell anyway).

My network is the strongest signal, so I have no idea why the 2 weaker
signals are picked up and mine is not.

I did try the manual connect option, but this did not connect to
anything, even though I put in all the correct connection details.

I even set up my router to directly use the Vista laptop Mac address.
Still no success.

ANy ideas anyone?

Cheers

Mark

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista not showing my wireless network
This could be the incompatible issue. this link may help,

Vista incompatible issuesVista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or routers may not compatible with Vista - Solutions: upgrade the firmware, disable the IPv6, re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"stainless" <Mark.Wingfield@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1190407642.384847.311650@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
[...]

Mereinid

Re: Vista not showing my wireless network

Hello, I am having a similar issue of trying to connect to a wireless
network. At first my computer would not recognize the connection of any
kind of internet conenction. Hardwired or wireless. Now however I have
the hard wired connection working but my wireless is on and. according
Device Manager, is working just fine. However I am not seeing any kind
of wireless networks. The wireless router is about 2 feet from me and
boradcasting fine as there are at least three other laptops in the same
small room with me working fine. Two of which have Vista as an OP. The
network is a private network and I had my MAC address pulled of here and
added to the network. The signal is not masked and I can actually /ping,
using the hardwired, another pc on the network but I am unable to have
another PC /ping me. The small wirelss symbol on my laptop on the
taskbar is just a blazing away saying it is working but everytime I
click on the pop-up window to connect to a a network nothing is being
showed. I keep hitting referesh and nothing pops up.
Things I have tried.

Disabling my adapater and restarting it.
Acquiruing a new IP address.
Flashed my laptop bios with an HP tech on the phone.
Upadated every thing in my laptop that has something to be updated.
The HP teck said that he thinks my Vista OP system is corrupted and put
me on hold to transfer me to a Supervisor, of course I was promptly
disconnected.

I am sure I have tried other things, any advise would be great. I
cannot think of anything else to do, short of. I have to say that I am
accessing a wireless network that is using a satellite with an extremely
nice connection package.

I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

--
Mereinid
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista not showing my wireless network
Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net