Connecting to an XP computer on network

Michael

Connecting to an XP computer on network
Ok, I have read all the threads I can find and downloaded the patch file for
my XP computer and I still have a problem. Before, I could not connect to
the XP computer at all. Now I get an icon on my network screen for a media
player and can access media files from my XP computer but nothing else.
Still does not show my shared printer which is hooked up to the XP computer
either. I have put the entire hard drive as shared on the XP. Another
interesting thing is, the XP computer can "see" the Vista computer, but when
it tried to access it, gets an error saying no permission to access. This is
of course wrong since I have set up sharing on the Vista computer as well.
All XP computers on the network can share files just fine. While it is nice
to access my music files, I would also like to transfer some documents and
photos. Any help would be appreciated.
Mick Murphy

RE: Connecting to an XP computer on network

"Michael" wrote:

> Ok, I have read all the threads I can find and downloaded the patch file for
> my XP computer and I still have a problem. Before, I could not connect to
> the XP computer at all. Now I get an icon on my network screen for a media
> player and can access media files from my XP computer but nothing else.
> Still does not show my shared printer which is hooked up to the XP computer
> either. I have put the entire hard drive as shared on the XP. Another
> interesting thing is, the XP computer can "see" the Vista computer, but when
> it tried to access it, gets an error saying no permission to access. This is
> of course wrong since I have set up sharing on the Vista computer as well.
> All XP computers on the network can share files just fine. While it is nice
> to access my music files, I would also like to transfer some documents and
> photos. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

RE: Connecting to an XP computer on network
Yes, I have done all that, everything is the way it should be, but I only get
"mediaplayer" for my shared HD on the XP computer when trying to access it on
the Vista computer.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Ok, I have read all the threads I can find and downloaded the patch file for
> > my XP computer and I still have a problem. Before, I could not connect to
> > the XP computer at all. Now I get an icon on my network screen for a media
> > player and can access media files from my XP computer but nothing else.
> > Still does not show my shared printer which is hooked up to the XP computer
> > either. I have put the entire hard drive as shared on the XP. Another
> > interesting thing is, the XP computer can "see" the Vista computer, but when
> > it tried to access it, gets an error saying no permission to access. This is
> > of course wrong since I have set up sharing on the Vista computer as well.
> > All XP computers on the network can share files just fine. While it is nice
> > to access my music files, I would also like to transfer some documents and
> > photos. Any help would be appreciated.

Marina

RE: Connecting to an XP computer on network
I'm having the same problem, and note that we have both done everything on
the "file and printer sharing" help page. Vista cannot see either XP
computer, the XP computers CAN see the Vista but not access it, and the
network is brutally slow.

"Michael" wrote:

> Ok, I have read all the threads I can find and downloaded the patch file for
> my XP computer and I still have a problem. Before, I could not connect to
> the XP computer at all. Now I get an icon on my network screen for a media
> player and can access media files from my XP computer but nothing else.
> Still does not show my shared printer which is hooked up to the XP computer
> either. I have put the entire hard drive as shared on the XP. Another
> interesting thing is, the XP computer can "see" the Vista computer, but when
> it tried to access it, gets an error saying no permission to access. This is
> of course wrong since I have set up sharing on the Vista computer as well.
> All XP computers on the network can share files just fine. While it is nice
> to access my music files, I would also like to transfer some documents and
> photos. Any help would be appreciated.

Mick Murphy

RE: Connecting to an XP computer on network
Michael, do all the comps have the same Workgroup name? They have to.

And, in Vista Network and sharing:
1 Network Discovery:ON ----the network now should be private.
2 File Sharing:ON
3 Public Folder sharing:ON --- that is the same as XPs shared Docs
4 Password Protected:OFF --- otherwise you need a password at XPs end
5 Only turn printer sharing on if the printer is hooked to Vista machine.

And make sure you have run the XP home network file and printer sharing
wizard

"Michael" wrote:

> Yes, I have done all that, everything is the way it should be, but I only get
> "mediaplayer" for my shared HD on the XP computer when trying to access it on
> the Vista computer.
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, I have read all the threads I can find and downloaded the patch file for
> > > my XP computer and I still have a problem. Before, I could not connect to
> > > the XP computer at all. Now I get an icon on my network screen for a media
> > > player and can access media files from my XP computer but nothing else.
> > > Still does not show my shared printer which is hooked up to the XP computer
> > > either. I have put the entire hard drive as shared on the XP. Another
> > > interesting thing is, the XP computer can "see" the Vista computer, but when
> > > it tried to access it, gets an error saying no permission to access. This is
> > > of course wrong since I have set up sharing on the Vista computer as well.
> > > All XP computers on the network can share files just fine. While it is nice
> > > to access my music files, I would also like to transfer some documents and
> > > photos. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

RE: Connecting to an XP computer on network
Great, I have exactly the same problem!

I have two XP machines, a network attached storage device & a brand new
Vista laptop that's going to be wiped very soon & have XP installed because
it's been nothing but trouble!

I've updated everything, bought a new Vista compatible router because I
couldn't join the network wirelessly...I've just updated all firmware on the
NAS so that it works with Vista...I've installed the software for the NAS
just to be sure but I'm still in the same situation.

One of the PC's (the one that has had the LLDP update installed) is still
hidden to Vista. It shows up on the extended "map" but I can't get to any
shared files.

The other XP PC is being shown as a mediaserver & opens media player
whenever I try to access it.

The NAS is also showing as a mediaserver...which isn't very good as it is
supposed to be the storage "hub" for the entire network.

Yes, I've been through all the network setup wizards...that's all I've been
doing for 3 days. I tried to submit a support request online but my product
ID doesn't work (it's the third time I've generated one via MS' phone
service) & I'm not paying a premium rate phone number to get someone on the
other end talk me through the wizard again.

Someone sort this out, it's rediculous.
Megawatt

RE: Connecting to an XP computer on network
I was having the same problem with Vista not connecting to computers running
XP on our network. I finally had to change some of my firewall settings on
the local area network and was able to access the shared files on the XP
computers from the one with Vista ( turned out that we had two firewalls
running) The Norton one really interferes with being able to connect. I
just uninstalled it and the network finally connected! I was still having
trouble accessing the Vista computer from the XP computers, I had to go into
all the shared folders on the Vista Computer and under the security settings
I had to set the rights and permissions on the shares to be able to access
anything from the XP computers. Even though the C: drive and desktop and a
lot of folders were shared, the rights and permissions had to be set to be
able to access them.

"Steve" wrote:

> Great, I have exactly the same problem!
>
> I have two XP machines, a network attached storage device & a brand new
> Vista laptop that's going to be wiped very soon & have XP installed because
> it's been nothing but trouble!
>
> I've updated everything, bought a new Vista compatible router because I
> couldn't join the network wirelessly...I've just updated all firmware on the
> NAS so that it works with Vista...I've installed the software for the NAS
> just to be sure but I'm still in the same situation.
>
> One of the PC's (the one that has had the LLDP update installed) is still
> hidden to Vista. It shows up on the extended "map" but I can't get to any
> shared files.
>
> The other XP PC is being shown as a mediaserver & opens media player
> whenever I try to access it.
>
> The NAS is also showing as a mediaserver...which isn't very good as it is
> supposed to be the storage "hub" for the entire network.
>
> Yes, I've been through all the network setup wizards...that's all I've been
> doing for 3 days. I tried to submit a support request online but my product
> ID doesn't work (it's the third time I've generated one via MS' phone
> service) & I'm not paying a premium rate phone number to get someone on the
> other end talk me through the wizard again.
>
> Someone sort this out, it's rediculous.

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting to an XP computer on network
On the XP computer, do net view vistaipaddress, does that display all
sharing?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net