Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can

gt8672

Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
Recently, i have experienced an issue, with no obvious triggering event,
where neither IE or Firefox browsers can connect to the internet. My IM
client works fine.

I am running on a wireless network, but no changes have been made to the FW
or other settings. I have done all of the resolver cache, winsock resets, etc
that I have seen. I can ping other computers on the network and my WAN IP.
nslookups on well know resolve.

Ideas on troubleshooting - how on FW welcome.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:04:04 -0700, gt8672 <gt8672@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Recently, i have experienced an issue, with no obvious triggering event,
>where neither IE or Firefox browsers can connect to the internet. My IM
>client works fine.
>
>I am running on a wireless network, but no changes have been made to the FW
>or other settings. I have done all of the resolver cache, winsock resets, etc
>that I have seen. I can ping other computers on the network and my WAN IP.
>nslookups on well know resolve.
>
>Ideas on troubleshooting - how on FW welcome.

Some IM clients don't use DNS, so start with a DNS check.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/05/identifying-dns-problem-in-your.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html

Then go after LSP / Winsock corruption, in detail.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

And look at your MTU setting, targeting any server that you can't connect to
through the browser.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/determining-mtu-to-single-server.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...le-server.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
gt8672

Re: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
Thanks Chuck - i did the winsock reset to no avail; i can ping major sites
(google cnn etc) and my nslookups work on these sites as well; i am
definitely stumped

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:04:04 -0700, gt8672 <gt8672@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Recently, i have experienced an issue, with no obvious triggering event,
> >where neither IE or Firefox browsers can connect to the internet. My IM
> >client works fine.
> >
> >I am running on a wireless network, but no changes have been made to the FW
> >or other settings. I have done all of the resolver cache, winsock resets, etc
> >that I have seen. I can ping other computers on the network and my WAN IP.
> >nslookups on well know resolve.
> >
> >Ideas on troubleshooting - how on FW welcome.

> Some IM clients don't use DNS, so start with a DNS check.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/05/identifying-dns-problem-in-your.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html
>
> Then go after LSP / Winsock corruption, in detail.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html
>
> And look at your MTU setting, targeting any server that you can't connect to
> through the browser.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/determining-mtu-to-single-server.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...le-server.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Ken Irving

Re: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
I may have the same problem, no fix or solution yet. The computer connects
either via wireless or wired to a network, and DHCP, DNS, and at least ICMP
protocols seem to be working. I can ping hosts by name, and have tried
successfully with packet sizes up to 10000 bytes. I enabled Windows network
"discovery", and the network browser shows lots of printers and computers in
the "neigborhood", so netbios or netbuei (wheatever it is) seems to work
fine. I'm guessing UDP is working by TCP not, but not sure of that.

On the wired connection I can run tcpdump on the gateway router/computer,
and see lots of ordinary-looking DNS, bootp, and other queries going out, but
I don't think I'm seeing any TCP packets leaving the VIsta box, either when I
try to web-browse using IE or FIrefox (installed using a USB key). Also have
tried ftp and telnet, both to remote
hosts and hosts running on my local network, and see no outgoing connections.

I've tried to look around and poke at stuff using netsh; in particular I've
tried disabling Windows Scaling using:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
but this seems to have no effect. I've tried disabling the firewall and
virus checker, also with no effect. The virus checker was updated as
recently as a week ago (via TCP/IP)
and I ran a full scan with no hits. I've tried disabling/enabling the net
connections, and
anything else I've been able to think of. No joy.

In short, this is not a wireless networking issue, nothing to do with DHCP,
DNS, or other aspects of the basic network functionality, but maybe some
snafu in the tcp stack? Just guessing. I may go looking for a Windows
version of Netcat, since that couldbe used to test connectons using either
udp or tcp.

No idea what changed or might have caused this issue.

Ken, grasping at straws

"Ken Irving" wrote:
> I may have the same problem, no fix or solution yet. The computer connects
> either via wireless or wired to a network, and DHCP, DNS, and at least ICMP
> "gt8672" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Chuck - i did the winsock reset to no avail; i can ping major sites
> > (google cnn etc) and my nslookups work on these sites as well; i am
> > definitely stumped
> >
> > "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> > > Then go after LSP / Winsock corruption, in detail.
> > > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
> > > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

Is this LSP/Winsock tool relevant for Vista? It doesn't mention Vista in
the help file, but it did run and reported no problems.

I was able to get a web net connection when I booted in "safe mode with
networking", so I guess something is blocking this in normal mode. The
antivirus program (Symantec) was not able to get updates, however, so maybe
there's still some malfunction in that mode. Still no web browsing after
booting back to normal mode.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, things to check, etc.

Ken
gt8672

Re: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
It's interesting you mention Symantec, I have the same AV on my Vista
desktop;
last night i updated it - which according to the display status, it updated
fine; however, i tried to run a scan, nothing happened. I rebooted, and got
an display indicating that KBD.EXE failed (I think this is an HP app);
anyways i see that Symantec is a common item .... Pat, also grasping at
straws!

"Ken Irving" wrote:

> "Ken Irving" wrote:
> > I may have the same problem, no fix or solution yet. The computer connects
> > either via wireless or wired to a network, and DHCP, DNS, and at least ICMP
> > "gt8672" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Chuck - i did the winsock reset to no avail; i can ping major sites
> > > (google cnn etc) and my nslookups work on these sites as well; i am
> > > definitely stumped

> Is this LSP/Winsock tool relevant for Vista? It doesn't mention Vista in
> the help file, but it did run and reported no problems.
>
> I was able to get a web net connection when I booted in "safe mode with
> networking", so I guess something is blocking this in normal mode. The
> antivirus program (Symantec) was not able to get updates, however, so maybe
> there's still some malfunction in that mode. Still no web browsing after
> booting back to normal mode.
>
> Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, things to check, etc.
>
> Ken

Ken Irving

Re: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
I grabbed another install copy of the Symantec AV program and removed the
installed one, and now the browser does seem to work. Next step is to
install the AV program (v10.2 build 276) and see what happens... Done.

This seems to have "fixed" the problem. Along the way, however, I also
removed some AOL software; no idea if that might have been part of the
trouble. Too, I had removed a windows update that was recently installed, and
it was just re-installed by Windows update. I guess the problem is solved on
this machine.

Good luck with yours!

Ken

"gt8672" wrote:
> It's interesting you mention Symantec, I have the same AV on my Vista
> desktop;
> last night i updated it - which according to the display status, it updated
> fine; however, i tried to run a scan, nothing happened. I rebooted, and got
> an display indicating that KBD.EXE failed (I think this is an HP app);
> anyways i see that Symantec is a common item .... Pat, also grasping at
> straws!
>
> "Ken Irving" wrote:
>
> > "Ken Irving" wrote:
> > > I may have the same problem, no fix or solution yet. The computer connects
> > > either via wireless or wired to a network, and DHCP, DNS, and at least ICMP

> > Is this LSP/Winsock tool relevant for Vista? It doesn't mention Vista in
> > the help file, but it did run and reported no problems.
> >
> > I was able to get a web net connection when I booted in "safe mode with
> > networking", so I guess something is blocking this in normal mode. The
> > antivirus program (Symantec) was not able to get updates, however, so maybe
> > there's still some malfunction in that mode. Still no web browsing after
> > booting back to normal mode.
> >
> > Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, things to check, etc.
> >
> > Ken

Sam

RE: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
Hi,

I am also facing the same problem with my Vista machine. I am also not able
to visit any web sites while I can connect to internet via IM.

I've also tried all steps provided on this forum, this post as well as some
other posts. Even tried disabling TCP auto tuning feature, but no success yet.

Please help me to fix it.

Thanks
Sam.

"gt8672" wrote:

> Recently, i have experienced an issue, with no obvious triggering event,
> where neither IE or Firefox browsers can connect to the internet. My IM
> client works fine.
>
> I am running on a wireless network, but no changes have been made to the FW
> or other settings. I have done all of the resolver cache, winsock resets, etc
> that I have seen. I can ping other computers on the network and my WAN IP.
> nslookups on well know resolve.
>
> Ideas on troubleshooting - how on FW welcome.

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

RE: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
What happens when you try? Which browser are you using?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I am also facing the same problem with my Vista machine. I am also not able
> to visit any web sites while I can connect to internet via IM.
>
> I've also tried all steps provided on this forum, this post as well as some
> other posts. Even tried disabling TCP auto tuning feature, but no success yet.
>
> Please help me to fix it.
>
> Thanks
> Sam.
>

> "gt8672" wrote:
>

> > Recently, i have experienced an issue, with no obvious triggering event,
> > where neither IE or Firefox browsers can connect to the internet. My IM
> > client works fine.
> >
> > I am running on a wireless network, but no changes have been made to the FW
> > or other settings. I have done all of the resolver cache, winsock resets, etc
> > that I have seen. I can ping other computers on the network and my WAN IP.
> > nslookups on well know resolve.
> >
> > Ideas on troubleshooting - how on FW welcome.

Not Me

Re: Browser(s) can't connect to the internet but IM client can
I haven't seen that with Vista yet, in XP that was usually a winsock
problem.
It could usually be repaired by using either lspfix.exe (google it) or
sometimes by running, from the command prompt, 'netsh winsock reset'

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com