Best Way Install Shared XP Printer On Vista

Dell Boy

Best Way Install Shared XP Printer On Vista
I want to install a shared printer on a Windows Vista machine. The printer is
currently installed on a Windows XP Home computer and is shared peer-to-peer
with two other XP Home machines. The printer driver version installed on the
XP machines is not Vista compatible - I have downloaded the Vista compatible
version of the driver from the manufacturers web site (this version of the
driver is also XP comptatible). I want to avoid going round
re-installing/updating the driver on the XP machines if I can.

Can anyone advise the simplest way to do this?
Malke

Re: Best Way Install Shared XP Printer On Vista
Dell Boy wrote:
> I want to install a shared printer on a Windows Vista machine. The printer is
> currently installed on a Windows XP Home computer and is shared peer-to-peer
> with two other XP Home machines. The printer driver version installed on the
> XP machines is not Vista compatible - I have downloaded the Vista compatible
> version of the driver from the manufacturers web site (this version of the
> driver is also XP comptatible). I want to avoid going round
> re-installing/updating the driver on the XP machines if I can.
>
> Can anyone advise the simplest way to do this?

You don't need to do anything to the XP machines. Install the Vista
printer drivers on the Vista machine. The printer should be found during
the installation routine. If it isn't, use the Add New Printer wizard.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Dell Boy

Re: Best Way Install Shared XP Printer On Vista
Thanks Malke, I very much appreciate your input.

"Malke" wrote:

> Dell Boy wrote:
> > I want to install a shared printer on a Windows Vista machine. The printer is
> > currently installed on a Windows XP Home computer and is shared peer-to-peer
> > with two other XP Home machines. The printer driver version installed on the
> > XP machines is not Vista compatible - I have downloaded the Vista compatible
> > version of the driver from the manufacturers web site (this version of the
> > driver is also XP comptatible). I want to avoid going round
> > re-installing/updating the driver on the XP machines if I can.
> >
> > Can anyone advise the simplest way to do this?

> You don't need to do anything to the XP machines. Install the Vista
> printer drivers on the Vista machine. The printer should be found during
> the installation routine. If it isn't, use the Add New Printer wizard.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Re: Best Way Install Shared XP Printer On Vista
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup and thanks Malke!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>