Ad hoc network

Edo

Ad hoc network
Hi all,

I have a problem related to ad hoc networks. I have a router connected to a
modem which is connected to Internet. The router is conencted wirlessly to my
home pc with windows xp (I know this is a vista newsgroup). I've always used
the router just to connect to the internet, but now I've bought a vista
notebook and I need to share the folders on my desktop (w xp) with my laptop
(vista). I wanted to create an ad hoc network but it seems to be impossible.
No way to get the two computers connected. It must be a problem with the ip
address but i have no clue how to solve it.

Could anyone help me to configure the windows vista and the windows xp
computers to recognize each other?

Thanks in advance
Mick Murphy

RE: Ad hoc network

Have a read of the above; it should help.

Make sure the 2 computers have the same workgroup name.
Start-computer-right click-properties-computer name-etc. WORKGROUP
I assume that you can connect the Vista to your wireless network by Start>
Connect to> Follow prompts, including WEP or WPA.

In Vista Network and Sharing
Network Discovery:ON
File Sharing:ON
Public Folder Sharing:ON (This is the old XPs shared Docs)
Password Protected:OFF

You will have to sort out the sharing in XP as well.

"Edo" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem related to ad hoc networks. I have a router connected to a
> modem which is connected to Internet. The router is conencted wirlessly to my
> home pc with windows xp (I know this is a vista newsgroup). I've always used
> the router just to connect to the internet, but now I've bought a vista
> notebook and I need to share the folders on my desktop (w xp) with my laptop
> (vista). I wanted to create an ad hoc network but it seems to be impossible.
> No way to get the two computers connected. It must be a problem with the ip
> address but i have no clue how to solve it.
>
> Could anyone help me to configure the windows vista and the windows xp
> computers to recognize each other?
>
> Thanks in advance

Edo

RE: Ad hoc network
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, the two computers still can't see each other. I've tried
setting some folders on my XP computer as shared but I still can't see them
from my Vista notebook. When I connect to the network, it is displayed as
Undefined Network instead of the name I gave to it. And when I try to see the
computer connected to the network, no computer is displayed.

I think I'm doing something wrong with the configuration of the ad hoc
netowrk. Can you explian to me how to set up the wireless ad hoc network on
xp and vista? Do I have to configure some IPs ?

Thanks in advance

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have a read of the above; it should help.
>
> Make sure the 2 computers have the same workgroup name.
> Start-computer-right click-properties-computer name-etc. WORKGROUP
> I assume that you can connect the Vista to your wireless network by Start>
> Connect to> Follow prompts, including WEP or WPA.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing
> Network Discovery:ON
> File Sharing:ON
> Public Folder Sharing:ON (This is the old XPs shared Docs)
> Password Protected:OFF
>
> You will have to sort out the sharing in XP as well.
>
> "Edo" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a problem related to ad hoc networks. I have a router connected to a
> > modem which is connected to Internet. The router is conencted wirlessly to my
> > home pc with windows xp (I know this is a vista newsgroup). I've always used
> > the router just to connect to the internet, but now I've bought a vista
> > notebook and I need to share the folders on my desktop (w xp) with my laptop
> > (vista). I wanted to create an ad hoc network but it seems to be impossible.
> > No way to get the two computers connected. It must be a problem with the ip
> > address but i have no clue how to solve it.
> >
> > Could anyone help me to configure the windows vista and the windows xp
> > computers to recognize each other?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Megawatt

RE: Ad hoc network
You did not indicate whether or not you had downloaded and installed the
"Link Layer Topology Protocol Responder" on your XP computer. Apparently
Vista uses LLTP and won't recognize your XP computer on a network until the
responder is installed on it. Hope this helps

"Edo" wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Unfortunately, the two computers still can't see each other. I've tried
> setting some folders on my XP computer as shared but I still can't see them
> from my Vista notebook. When I connect to the network, it is displayed as
> Undefined Network instead of the name I gave to it. And when I try to see the
> computer connected to the network, no computer is displayed.
>
> I think I'm doing something wrong with the configuration of the ad hoc
> netowrk. Can you explian to me how to set up the wireless ad hoc network on
> xp and vista? Do I have to configure some IPs ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > Have a read of the above; it should help.
> >
> > Make sure the 2 computers have the same workgroup name.
> > Start-computer-right click-properties-computer name-etc. WORKGROUP
> > I assume that you can connect the Vista to your wireless network by Start>
> > Connect to> Follow prompts, including WEP or WPA.
> >
> > In Vista Network and Sharing
> > Network Discovery:ON
> > File Sharing:ON
> > Public Folder Sharing:ON (This is the old XPs shared Docs)
> > Password Protected:OFF
> >
> > You will have to sort out the sharing in XP as well.
> >
> > "Edo" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have a problem related to ad hoc networks. I have a router connected to a
> > > modem which is connected to Internet. The router is conencted wirlessly to my
> > > home pc with windows xp (I know this is a vista newsgroup). I've always used
> > > the router just to connect to the internet, but now I've bought a vista
> > > notebook and I need to share the folders on my desktop (w xp) with my laptop
> > > (vista). I wanted to create an ad hoc network but it seems to be impossible.
> > > No way to get the two computers connected. It must be a problem with the ip
> > > address but i have no clue how to solve it.
> > >
> > > Could anyone help me to configure the windows vista and the windows xp
> > > computers to recognize each other?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

Mick Murphy

RE: Ad hoc network
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx

The above is how to for XP wireless. Vista is a cinch once you set up XP.
And I do the manual way above.

"Edo" wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Unfortunately, the two computers still can't see each other. I've tried
> setting some folders on my XP computer as shared but I still can't see them
> from my Vista notebook. When I connect to the network, it is displayed as
> Undefined Network instead of the name I gave to it. And when I try to see the
> computer connected to the network, no computer is displayed.
>
> I think I'm doing something wrong with the configuration of the ad hoc
> netowrk. Can you explian to me how to set up the wireless ad hoc network on
> xp and vista? Do I have to configure some IPs ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > Have a read of the above; it should help.
> >
> > Make sure the 2 computers have the same workgroup name.
> > Start-computer-right click-properties-computer name-etc. WORKGROUP
> > I assume that you can connect the Vista to your wireless network by Start>
> > Connect to> Follow prompts, including WEP or WPA.
> >
> > In Vista Network and Sharing
> > Network Discovery:ON
> > File Sharing:ON
> > Public Folder Sharing:ON (This is the old XPs shared Docs)
> > Password Protected:OFF
> >
> > You will have to sort out the sharing in XP as well.
> >
> > "Edo" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have a problem related to ad hoc networks. I have a router connected to a
> > > modem which is connected to Internet. The router is conencted wirlessly to my
> > > home pc with windows xp (I know this is a vista newsgroup). I've always used
> > > the router just to connect to the internet, but now I've bought a vista
> > > notebook and I need to share the folders on my desktop (w xp) with my laptop
> > > (vista). I wanted to create an ad hoc network but it seems to be impossible.
> > > No way to get the two computers connected. It must be a problem with the ip
> > > address but i have no clue how to solve it.
> > >
> > > Could anyone help me to configure the windows vista and the windows xp
> > > computers to recognize each other?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

Edo

RE: Ad hoc network
The Wireless network was already set up and working (I could connect both
computers to Internet), but I didn't know that I could also share folders
within the network while having the two computers connected to the internet.
In fact I always tried searching for other computers withni the network but
didn't find any.

After having installed the Link Layer Topology Protocol Responder mentioned
above, the result is that the XP desktop can see the notebook (Vista), but
can't access it because it tells me that I don't have enough adminstrative
rights.

On the Vista computer I can't even see the Xp computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
>
> The above is how to for XP wireless. Vista is a cinch once you set up XP.
> And I do the manual way above.
>
> "Edo" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the two computers still can't see each other. I've tried
> > setting some folders on my XP computer as shared but I still can't see them
> > from my Vista notebook. When I connect to the network, it is displayed as
> > Undefined Network instead of the name I gave to it. And when I try to see the
> > computer connected to the network, no computer is displayed.
> >
> > I think I'm doing something wrong with the configuration of the ad hoc
> > netowrk. Can you explian to me how to set up the wireless ad hoc network on
> > xp and vista? Do I have to configure some IPs ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> > >
> > > Have a read of the above; it should help.
> > >
> > > Make sure the 2 computers have the same workgroup name.
> > > Start-computer-right click-properties-computer name-etc. WORKGROUP
> > > I assume that you can connect the Vista to your wireless network by Start>
> > > Connect to> Follow prompts, including WEP or WPA.
> > >
> > > In Vista Network and Sharing
> > > Network Discovery:ON
> > > File Sharing:ON
> > > Public Folder Sharing:ON (This is the old XPs shared Docs)
> > > Password Protected:OFF
> > >
> > > You will have to sort out the sharing in XP as well.

Edo

RE: Ad hoc network
Update: From the Vista computer I can now see the xp computer, but it's not
very useful. I just see it in the "network map" and I see that it is
connected to the router via wireless, but can't do anything with it. The Xp
computer still shows the Viista com but doesn't allow me to access it