Loosing Internet Connectivity

Dustin Brown

Loosing Internet Connectivity
Vista Home Premium keeps dropping my internet connection. It happens every
day and it happens two or three times a day. Before I bought Vista I was
running XP SP2 on this machine and I never had problems with it. I have two
other computers on my network. One runs XP and the other is a Mac. Neither of
them have internet connectivity issues - only my Vista machine, and only
since I started running Vista on it.

I use the sleep button on my keyboard when I'm finished using my computer.
When I wake it back up, the internet usually works for about ten minutes,
then I loose the connection. All applications loose their connection to the
net - browsers, gmail notifier, uTorrent...everything.

I have tried the Diagnose and Repair feature, but I get a message that says
"Cannot communicate with www.microsoft.com(207.46.192.254). Network
diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response." Then it
gives me the option to "Reset the network adapter "Wireless Network
Connection". I click that, it goes through a "Repairing" process, then it
says "Windows tried to repair but the problem still exists."

I have also tried going to the command line and doing "ipconfig /renew", but
that didn't help either.

It's strange, because if I hover my house over the network icon in my
taskbar, the tray that slides up says "Access: Local and Internet". And when
I go to Network and Sharing Center, at the top it shows graphics of my
computer connecting to my network, connecting to the internet. There are no
red X's anywhere. As far as Vista networking is concerned, I'm still
connected to the net.

Please, please, please. I need suggestions on things I can try to solve
this. The only thing I've found that temporarily resolves it is rebooting my
computer, which is especially annoying since Vista takes so long get up and
running again when you restart.

Thanks,
Dustin
Barb Bowman

Re: Loosing Internet Connectivity
see if http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/933872/en-us is
applicable.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Dwarf

RE: Loosing Internet Connectivity
Hi Dustin,

Did you install Vista using upgrade media or did you use the full version?
If you used the upgrade version then please refer to my post 'Clean Install
Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media' in the newsgroup 'Windows Vista
Installation and Setup' for detailed instructions on how to use upgrade media
to clean install.
Dwarf

"Dustin Brown" wrote:

> Vista Home Premium keeps dropping my internet connection. It happens every
> day and it happens two or three times a day. Before I bought Vista I was
> running XP SP2 on this machine and I never had problems with it. I have two
> other computers on my network. One runs XP and the other is a Mac. Neither of
> them have internet connectivity issues - only my Vista machine, and only
> since I started running Vista on it.
>
> I use the sleep button on my keyboard when I'm finished using my computer.
> When I wake it back up, the internet usually works for about ten minutes,
> then I loose the connection. All applications loose their connection to the
> net - browsers, gmail notifier, uTorrent...everything.
>
> I have tried the Diagnose and Repair feature, but I get a message that says
> "Cannot communicate with www.microsoft.com(207.46.192.254). Network
> diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response." Then it
> gives me the option to "Reset the network adapter "Wireless Network
> Connection". I click that, it goes through a "Repairing" process, then it
> says "Windows tried to repair but the problem still exists."
>
> I have also tried going to the command line and doing "ipconfig /renew", but
> that didn't help either.
>
> It's strange, because if I hover my house over the network icon in my
> taskbar, the tray that slides up says "Access: Local and Internet". And when
> I go to Network and Sharing Center, at the top it shows graphics of my
> computer connecting to my network, connecting to the internet. There are no
> red X's anywhere. As far as Vista networking is concerned, I'm still
> connected to the net.
>
> Please, please, please. I need suggestions on things I can try to solve
> this. The only thing I've found that temporarily resolves it is rebooting my
> computer, which is especially annoying since Vista takes so long get up and
> running again when you restart.
>
> Thanks,
> Dustin

Dustin Brown

RE: Loosing Internet Connectivity
Hi Barb and Dwarf. Thanks for the suggestions.

Barb, I waited until the problem occurred again and, sure enough, when I did
an ipconfig /all the default gateway was missing. I rebooted and went to that
site you gave me and installed the patch, but unfortunately it didn't seem to
solve the problem. I installed the patch last night, yet I lost my connection
to the net when I went to use my workstation this morning. Actually it's
weird, I'm online now (obviously) and I just did the command and the default
gateway is missing now too.

Dwarf, when I installed Vista I did a clean install, not an upgrade. I
formatted my OS partition and started from scratch.

Thanks,
Dustin
Barb Bowman

Re: Loosing Internet Connectivity
I'd like to see the complete text output of

ipconfig /all run from an elevated cmd prompt.

What are you connecting to? A router? which one and does it have the
latest firmware? You can also try unchecking IPv6 in the properties
for the connection.

I'd also strongly suggest disabling utorrent completely to see if
this issue disappears. it's known to cause connection issues (see
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...vista-support/
)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:40:05 -0700, Dustin Brown

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Dustin Brown

Re: Loosing Internet Connectivity
Hi Barb,

Thanks for taking the time to write back. I'm connected through a Linksys
wireless G router. I realize how easy it's going to be to go "aha! that's his
problem", but again I never had this problem when I was using XP. Also The
other two machines in my house (XP, and Mac OSX) have zero connectivity
issues. To me, that makes Vista sound like the culprit. Either that or there
might be a driver issue with my NIC. If I look in Device Manager, I have
three network adapters listed:

Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Marvell Yukon PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
nVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

I think the Marvell is the built-in NIC on my motherboard, and the
nVIDIA...I don't know what that is. I have an nVIDIA graphics card, it
doesn't have a network interface on it.

Out of the three, I only use is the Linksys, so I guess I could disable the
other two. I'm actually running Windows Update now (which I do often) and
there just so happened to be updates for the Marvell and the nVIDIA NICs. I
don't know how or why that would help me since I'm using the Linksys, but I'm
doing it. I'll see if I can find a newer driver for the Linksys as well.

I have no problem giving you the text output of an ipconfig /all, but I
don't want to post it on a public forum. What is a secure way for me to get
it to you?

Thanks,
Dustin
Barb Bowman

Re: Loosing Internet Connectivity
first, everyone posts ipconfig /all outputs here in this forum. not
sure what you think is a security risk.

second, go ahead and disable the NICs you are not using

third, Vista has a new network stack. things ARE different.

fourth, many vendors have new firmware for various routers that fix
various issues with Vista. issues that never appeared with other
operating systems. which Linksys router, model and hardware
revision? what version firmware are you using? is it the latest
firmware?

fifth, what does device manager show for power management settings
for the wireless card? make sure it is not set to allow...to turn
off this device to save power.

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:48:02 -0700, Dustin Brown

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Dustin Brown

Re: Loosing Internet Connectivity
Hi Barb,

Thanks again. My Router is a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless G. It's listed on
Linksys' website as being a Vista-friendly router:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...s itorWrapper

I updated the firmware on it, so we'll see if that does the trick.

I also disabled those other two NICs. And I rarely use uTorrent (maybe once
or twice a month?), so I seriously doubt if that's the issue.

I'll let you know if the firmware update resolved the issue. As far as me
putting my ipconfig /all readout on here, I just don't feel comfortable
putting that information on a public forum. I have absolutely no idea if
someone could use that information to do something malicious to my computer.
I'm not trying to be difficult, just cautious. Is being cautious such a bad
thing?

Regards,
Dustin
Barb Bowman

Re: Loosing Internet Connectivity
thanks for the update. hopefully the firmware upgrade will solve all
the issues.

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:00:01 -0700, Dustin Brown

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Dustin Brown

Re: Loosing Internet Connectivity
Hi Barb,

Unfortunately none of the driver updates I've performed have solved the
issue. Vista continues to drop my internet connection after a few minutes,
once I bring my machine out of sleep mode. I fail to understand why this is
happening since my NIC is listed as a Vista-friendly device.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dustin Brown