Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/)
-   microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-networking-sharing/)
-   -   Printer Seen But Won't Print (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-networking-sharing/119281-printer-seen-but-wont-print.html)

Earl Partridge 09-20-2007 14:40

Printer Seen But Won't Print

Windows XP Pro Shares the printer. Print Spooler is started and is automatic.

Windows Vista Home Baisc finally sees the printer after many attempts to have it
recognized, (don't remember what I did to get it to show). Now when I print something
from the Vista machine, it indicates it is printing, but nothing prints. Checking the
documents queued for printing, they show Error after about a minute or so.

Earl

Malke 09-20-2007 16:42

Re: Printer Seen But Won't Print

Earl Partridge wrote:
> Windows XP Pro Shares the printer. Print Spooler is started and is
> automatic.
>
> Windows Vista Home Baisc finally sees the printer after many attempts to
> have it
> recognized, (don't remember what I did to get it to show). Now when I
> print something
> from the Vista machine, it indicates it is printing, but nothing
> prints. Checking the
> documents queued for printing, they show Error after about a minute or so.
>
> Earl

This is usually caused by not having drivers (or having the wrong
drivers) installed on the Vista machine. Since you didn't tell us how
you installed the printer, did you first go to the printer mftr.'s
website and download the Vista drivers and then install them? It would
also be helpful if you mentioned the make/model of the printer.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Earl Partridge 09-20-2007 17:02

Re: Printer Seen But Won't Print

The printer is HP 2600n. I just discovered that the Vista "seeing" the
printer
was because in all my trials, I apparently installed that printer software
on that
Vista machine and it apparently was trying to print to LPT1. Now that I
have
removed it, tried again to find a network printer but it could not. The
Workgroup
of both machines match.

I have the HP CD, should I be able to install only the drivers on Vista?

Earl

Malke 09-20-2007 18:43

Earl Partridge wrote:
> The printer is HP 2600n. I just discovered that the Vista "seeing" the
> printer
> was because in all my trials, I apparently installed that printer software
> on that
> Vista machine and it apparently was trying to print to LPT1. Now that I
> have
> removed it, tried again to find a network printer but it could not. The
> Workgroup
> of both machines match.
>
> I have the HP CD, should I be able to install only the drivers on Vista?

Here is a TinyURL link to HP's page for Vista drivers for the HP Color
LaserJet 2600n printer:

http://tinyurl.com/2j9ufd

You will see that you can download a variety of combinations of drivers
and software.

1. Set up your file/printer sharing properly per the general
instructions below.

2. Uninstall anything you already installed for this printer on the
Vista machine. If you used the CD to do it, that's part or all of the
problem. Get the drivers from the link above.

3. During the installation routine your printer should be seen and you
will be able to select it.

Networking stuff:
*****
This link will take you through Vista networking very well:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it. Read through the general networking tips
below and if you still are having difficulties, MVP Hans-Georg Michna
has an excellent small network troubleshooter here:

http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Taking the time to go through his troubleshooter will usually pinpoint
the source of the problem(s).

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

B. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

1. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
accounts/passwords on all computers.

2. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.
*****

Malke

Earl Partridge 09-20-2007 22:36

Re: Printer Seen But Won't Print

Thanks for all the help. I finally got it working. I tried several things
and not
100% sure which resolved it. I installed the "Vista" printer drivers on
both
machines, I disabled the firewall of a 3rd party utiltiy, and somewhere I
set
the IP address on the Vista machine.

Oh, and somewhere along the way I Enabled Simple File Sharing in Folder
Options.

Thanks again.

Earl