Mapped share access over VPN solution

Russell Reid

Mapped share access over VPN solution
I have fought this one for months. Mapped drives that worked fine in the
office were not accessible over a VPN connection. I searched and searched
for a solution in vain. I tried all of the solutions and hotfixes that
seemed related: The SMB shares hotfix (kb933468), the route metric hotfix
(kb930163), deleting cached credentials (cmdkey.exe /delete /ras), remove
IPv6 for the VPN connection, set the DNS server address explicitly in the
network adapter settings, etc, etc. To no avail.

Turns out the solution was simple. Map the drive with the fully qualified
domain name of the server. We map drives via script so this is a fairly easy
to implement solution. If you map drives via the 'Map Network Drives'
command in 'Computer' then you have to add the domain suffixes manually when
you map the drive. So the format of the mapped drive path should look like
this: '\\server1.contoso.com\fileshares\staff' instead of the default map
for the same share that looks like this: '\\server1\fileshares\staff'. You
have to adjust this in the path window when you map the drive. I have not
found a way yet to alter the map once it is created.

Seems stupid that windows vista doesn't use the FQDN for the map, but you
need to use it for the map to be available over a VPN connection. We us VPN
alot since we travel often. I have held up several Vista upgrades until I
could resolve this one.

I hope this helps any of you who have also been frustrated by this problem.
--
Russell Reid
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Mapped share access over VPN solution
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The other two options are setup WINS or DNS suffix in the client site for NetBIOS name resolution.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Russell Reid" <RussellReid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:938A3C44-B5EB-42E9-93D2-E191DA89F38D@microsoft.com...
[...]

I had tried that, but apparently i didn't go far enough. I had set the com
suffix in the network adapter DNS append suffix box, but not the full
contoso.com suffix that would resolve the address to a FQDN. I think that
the KB on this solution should be updated with an example. So are you saying
that if i set the DNS suffix to eg. 'contoso.com' that I wouldn't have to map
the drives via FQDN path?

In an aside, this is still very different from the way XP worked. It is an
obscure but critical difference that affects the productivity of my users. I
held up Vista upgrades because of this issue.
--
Russell Reid

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The other two options are setup WINS or DNS suffix in the client site for NetBIOS name resolution.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Russell Reid" <RussellReid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:938A3C44-B5EB-42E9-93D2-E191DA89F38D@microsoft.com...
> I have fought this one for months. Mapped drives that worked fine in the
> office were not accessible over a VPN connection. I searched and searched
> for a solution in vain. I tried all of the solutions and hotfixes that
> seemed related: The SMB shares hotfix (kb933468), the route metric hotfix
> (kb930163), deleting cached credentials (cmdkey.exe /delete /ras), remove
> IPv6 for the VPN connection, set the DNS server address explicitly in the
> network adapter settings, etc, etc. To no avail.
>
> Turns out the solution was simple. Map the drive with the fully qualified
> domain name of the server. We map drives via script so this is a fairly easy
> to implement solution. If you map drives via the 'Map Network Drives'
> command in 'Computer' then you have to add the domain suffixes manually when
> you map the drive. So the format of the mapped drive path should look like
> this: '\\server1.contoso.com\fileshares\staff' instead of the default map
> for the same share that looks like this: '\\server1\fileshares\staff'. You
> have to adjust this in the path window when you map the drive. I have not
> found a way yet to alter the map once it is created.
>
> Seems stupid that windows vista doesn't use the FQDN for the map, but you
> need to use it for the map to be available over a VPN connection. We us VPN
> alot since we travel often. I have held up several Vista upgrades until I
> could resolve this one.
>
> I hope this helps any of you who have also been frustrated by this problem.
> --
> Russell Reid

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Mapped share access over VPN solution
It is better to setup WINS instead of using DNS suffix because using WINS is setup in the server side while using DNS suffix is in the client side.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Russell Reid" <RussellReid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E5823B1-2792-4336-87CD-DE3398E1C587@microsoft.com...
I had tried that, but apparently i didn't go far enough. I had set the com
suffix in the network adapter DNS append suffix box, but not the full
contoso.com suffix that would resolve the address to a FQDN. I think that
the KB on this solution should be updated with an example. So are you saying
that if i set the DNS suffix to eg. 'contoso.com' that I wouldn't have to map
the drives via FQDN path?

In an aside, this is still very different from the way XP worked. It is an
obscure but critical difference that affects the productivity of my users. I
held up Vista upgrades because of this issue.
--
Russell Reid

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The other two options are setup WINS or DNS suffix in the client site for NetBIOS name resolution.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Russell Reid" <RussellReid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:938A3C44-B5EB-42E9-93D2-E191DA89F38D@microsoft.com...
> I have fought this one for months. Mapped drives that worked fine in the
> office were not accessible over a VPN connection. I searched and searched
> for a solution in vain. I tried all of the solutions and hotfixes that
> seemed related: The SMB shares hotfix (kb933468), the route metric hotfix
> (kb930163), deleting cached credentials (cmdkey.exe /delete /ras), remove
> IPv6 for the VPN connection, set the DNS server address explicitly in the
> network adapter settings, etc, etc. To no avail.
>
> Turns out the solution was simple. Map the drive with the fully qualified
> domain name of the server. We map drives via script so this is a fairly easy
> to implement solution. If you map drives via the 'Map Network Drives'
> command in 'Computer' then you have to add the domain suffixes manually when
> you map the drive. So the format of the mapped drive path should look like
> this: '\\server1.contoso.com\fileshares\staff' instead of the default map
> for the same share that looks like this: '\\server1\fileshares\staff'. You
> have to adjust this in the path window when you map the drive. I have not
> found a way yet to alter the map once it is created.
>
> Seems stupid that windows vista doesn't use the FQDN for the map, but you
> need to use it for the map to be available over a VPN connection. We us VPN
> alot since we travel often. I have held up several Vista upgrades until I
> could resolve this one.
>
> I hope this helps any of you who have also been frustrated by this problem.
> --
> Russell Reid

Russell Reid

Re: Mapped share access over VPN solution
Interesting. We do have WINS setup on our DC. (Server 2003 R2 SP2) Still
had the problem over VPN.
Second, I thought that WINS was no longer required for a Server 2003 network
if you do not have any legacy operating systems. Are you saying that Vista
now requires WINS to function correctly on the network?
--
> [...]

> > to implement solution. If you map drives via the 'Map Network Drives'
> > command in 'Computer' then you have to add the domain suffixes manually when
> > you map the drive. So the format of the mapped drive path should look like
> > this: '\\server1.contoso.com\fileshares\staff' instead of the default map
> > for the same share that looks like this: '\\server1\fileshares\staff'. You
> > have to adjust this in the path window when you map the drive. I have not
> > found a way yet to alter the map once it is created.
> >
> > Seems stupid that windows vista doesn't use the FQDN for the map, but you
> > need to use it for the map to be available over a VPN connection. We us VPN
> > alot since we travel often. I have held up several Vista upgrades until I
> > could resolve this one.
> >
> > I hope this helps any of you who have also been frustrated by this problem.

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Mapped share access over VPN solution
As said, it is better to use WINS for VPN. Otherwise, you may do DNS suffix.
This link may give more information about WINS.

Does Windows 2000/2003 domain needs WINSDoes Windows 2000/2003 domain needs
WINS. Q1: Is there a definitive list of the services and operations that
will no longer work in Windows 2003 Server if ...
www.howtonetworking.com/server/wins1.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net