Help! Vista Internet problems

samfowler11

Help! Vista Internet problems

Hi, I have recently upgraded a Pc to Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have
had no problems with anything except the internet.

Once I installed Vista I had access to my home network and the internet
briefly. I then lost the connection to the internet but was able to
connect to my home network (and access router pages etc.). I was able to
connect to the internet again for slightly longer but the connection
disappeared not long afterwards again. The problem cited by the Vista
network and sharing centre is that the IP settings are incorrect but
when the auto repair tries to fix it nothing happens.

I am connected to a Netgear DG834G via an ethernet cable and that is
connected directly to the internet.

I have been wrestling with this for about 2 weeks now and nothing I
have found on google or anywhere else has helped! any help would be
brilliant, I'm at my wits end!

Sam

--
samfowler11
JackLondon

Re: Help! Vista Internet problems

--
JackLondon
samfowler11

Re: Help! Vista Internet problems

hey, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I already had the latest drivers but I updated them
anyway, nothing seems to have changed. I tried to delete the local area
connection on my vista Pc but it wouldnt let me. The delete option was
greyed out and pressing delete just brought up a message saying that
this item cannot be deleted. Maybe this is part of the problem? I have
no idea, I'm stumped!

Sam

samfowler11;456841 Wrote:
> hey, thanks for the reply!
>
> Unfortunately I already had the latest drivers but I updated them
> anyway, nothing seems to have changed. I tried to delete the local area
> connection on my vista Pc but it wouldnt let me. The delete option was
> greyed out and pressing delete just brought up a message saying that
> this item cannot be deleted. Maybe this is part of the problem? I have
> no idea, I'm stumped!
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

Don't worry. Do the following.

1. Unplug the router from mains and leave it as it is
2. Uninstall all the drivers for you router
3. Go to Start/Connect To and click Refresh (make sure your connection
does not come up on the list)
4. Install the drivers again
5 . Reboot your machine, now you can plug the router back to mains
6. Go to Start/Connect To - your router should be shown there, click on
it and click on connect.
7. At this stage you have 2 options :
a) if the network was set up on another PC you should see the screen
asking you for network passcode, enter it, the next screen is security
settings where you have to use the proper settings (if you don't know
which one you are using try all of them as you'll fin the right one but
most netgears run WPA)
b ) if the network is not set up anywhere you have to create a
connection via your router webpage, make sure you follow the manual and
everything should be good.

If all of that will not help go to :

'No Internet Access Through the Router'
(http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp)

you should find some useful info there.

Good Luck

--
JackLondon
Mick Murphy

RE: Help! Vista Internet problems
I use the same router as you with the 32bit Vista, no probs.
But, I use auto IP addressing.
Have you looked in the properties of the connection, then (TCP/IP)
properties in Vista?

"samfowler11" wrote:

> Hi, I have recently upgraded a Pc to Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have
> had no problems with anything except the internet.
>
> Once I installed Vista I had access to my home network and the internet
> briefly. I then lost the connection to the internet but was able to
> connect to my home network (and access router pages etc.). I was able to
> connect to the internet again for slightly longer but the connection
> disappeared not long afterwards again. The problem cited by the Vista
> network and sharing centre is that the IP settings are incorrect but
> when the auto repair tries to fix it nothing happens.
>
> I am connected to a Netgear DG834G via an ethernet cable and that is
> connected directly to the internet.
>
> I have been wrestling with this for about 2 weeks now and nothing I
> have found on google or anywhere else has helped! any help would be
> brilliant, I'm at my wits end!
>
> Sam
>

> --
> samfowler11

samfowler11

Re: Help! Vista Internet problems

Hi,
I have, at the moment all the settings for the IP address and the TCP
settings are on auto. My ISP connects via DNS all the other PCs on my
network are ok with that. Maybe I need to try and assign a static IP
address. But I'm not sure why the connection to the internet (but not to
the router/network) would be not working, when it works on both the
other pcs (XP SP2) with no problems.
I have just seen this thread which suggests a problem in Vista...
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...lp-please.html

May try the Regedit to see if it works.
Sam

--
samfowler11
samfowler11

Re: Help! Vista Internet problems

The Reg edit didn't work. But I have found a possible cause...
The link in the above post leads to another similar thread and in that
thread there is a suggestion (in another link) that SPI firewalls on the
router cause the problem. This would explain the connection to the
network but not the internet. I will have a look and see if a work
around to disable the SPI in the DG834G is available. There isnt an
option in the router menus!

I will post what I find.
Sam

--
samfowler11
Dwarf

RE: Help! Vista Internet problems
Hi Sam,

You have stated that you recently upgrade a PC to Vista. I am assuming that
you used the upgrade version of Vista. What you need to do is to follow the
instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media' in
the newsgroup 'Windows Vista Installation and Setup'. Note that this is
written for 32-bit systems, but should work with 64-bit systems. For
everyone's information, I have a Netgear DG834G router that was originally
connected to XP and when I installed Vista the router connected without any
problems whatsoever. It could be a driver issue with your motherboard - check
device manager. 64-bit systems are quite fussy about their drivers and
require signed drivers. Make sure that you are using automatic settings. If
all this checks out, then simply try a different cable (they can sometimes
fail). Try different ports on your router. Don't overlook the fact that the
routers power supply might be faulty.
Dwarf

"samfowler11" wrote:

> Hi, I have recently upgraded a Pc to Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have
> had no problems with anything except the internet.
>
> Once I installed Vista I had access to my home network and the internet
> briefly. I then lost the connection to the internet but was able to
> connect to my home network (and access router pages etc.). I was able to
> connect to the internet again for slightly longer but the connection
> disappeared not long afterwards again. The problem cited by the Vista
> network and sharing centre is that the IP settings are incorrect but
> when the auto repair tries to fix it nothing happens.
>
> I am connected to a Netgear DG834G via an ethernet cable and that is
> connected directly to the internet.
>
> I have been wrestling with this for about 2 weeks now and nothing I
> have found on google or anywhere else has helped! any help would be
> brilliant, I'm at my wits end!
>
> Sam
>

> --
> samfowler11

brian

RE: Help! Vista Internet problems
i have vista home on a new computter (e machense4231) and am not getting any
problems .problems seem to happen when you upgrade(programs conflict)mostley
upgrad from xp.
--
brianb