cannot access shares on vista machine through vpn

jawdoc

cannot access shares on vista machine through vpn
Here is my setup.
Netgear vpn router at home. Using vpn client software on Windows xp
sp2 to access and establish the vpn router. Connection is successful
and I can ping all the machines on the other side of the router. I can
access share on windows xp machines, windows 2000 server machine but I
cannot access shares on any vista machines. Connection attempt times
out. The shares are there and can be accessed locally.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: cannot access shares on vista machine through vpn
Can you ping the Vista by IP? If not, check the firewall settings first.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"jawdoc" <drbrooks@msoms.com> wrote in message news:1190219075.433659.305590@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
Here is my setup.
Netgear vpn router at home. Using vpn client software on Windows xp
sp2 to access and establish the vpn router. Connection is successful
and I can ping all the machines on the other side of the router. I can
access share on windows xp machines, windows 2000 server machine but I
cannot access shares on any vista machines. Connection attempt times
out. The shares are there and can be accessed locally.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

jawdoc

Re: cannot access shares on vista machine through vpn
On Sep 19, 3:16 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can you ping the Vista by IP? If not, check the firewall settings first.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "jawdoc" <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote in messagenews:1190219075.433659.305590@22g2000hsm.go oglegroups.com...
> Here is my setup.
> Netgear vpn router at home. Using vpn client software on Windows xp
> sp2 to access and establish the vpn router. Connection is successful
> and I can ping all the machines on the other side of the router. I can
> access share on windows xp machines, windows 2000 server machine but I
> cannot access shares on any vista machines. Connection attempt times
> out. The shares are there and can be accessed locally.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance!

Yes, I can ping it. I can RDP to it via the vpn. I can see the shares
locally on the LAN but I cannot see the shares through the vpn.
I can ping to 10.0.5.56 I can RDP to 10.0.5.56 but \\10.0.5.56
times out.
Any ideas?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: cannot access shares on vista machine through vpn
Some security software may block sharing. This link may help,

Vista and Security Software IssuesVista and Security Software Issues. Is not accessible because of Norton Internet Security · Can't find other computer because of Norton ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista&security.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can you ping the Vista by IP? If not, check the firewall settings first.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "jawdoc" <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote in messagenews:1190219075.433659.305590@22g2000hsm.go oglegroups.com...
> Here is my setup.
> Netgear vpn router at home. Using vpn client software on Windows xp
> sp2 to access and establish the vpn router. Connection is successful
> and I can ping all the machines on the other side of the router. I can
> access share on windows xp machines, windows 2000 server machine but I
> cannot access shares on any vista machines. Connection attempt times
> out. The shares are there and can be accessed locally.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance!

Yes, I can ping it. I can RDP to it via the vpn. I can see the shares
locally on the LAN but I cannot see the shares through the vpn.
I can ping to 10.0.5.56 I can RDP to 10.0.5.56 but \\10.0.5.56
times out.
Any ideas?

jawdoc

Re: cannot access shares on vista machine through vpn
On Sep 19, 8:05 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Some security software may block sharing. This link may help,
>
> Vista and Security Software IssuesVista and Security Software Issues. Is not accessible because of Norton Internet Security · Can't find other computer because of Norton ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista&security.htm
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "jawdoc" <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote in messagenews:1190240176.135496.132820@w3g2000hsg.go oglegroups.com...
> On Sep 19, 3:16 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you ping the Vista by IP? If not, check the firewall settings first.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "jawdoc" <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote in messagenews:1190219075.433659.305590@22g2000hsm.go oglegroups.com...
> > Here is my setup.
> > Netgear vpn router at home. Using vpn client software on Windows xp
> > sp2 to access and establish the vpn router. Connection is successful
> > and I can ping all the machines on the other side of the router. I can
> > access share on windows xp machines, windows 2000 server machine but I
> > cannot access shares on any vista machines. Connection attempt times
> > out. The shares are there and can be accessed locally.
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks in advance!

> Yes, I can ping it. I can RDP to it via the vpn. I can see the shares
> locally on the LAN but I cannot see the shares through the vpn.
> I can ping to 10.0.5.56 I can RDP to 10.0.5.56 but \\10.0.5.56
> times out.
> Any ideas?

I finally found a solution. I had to change this setting in the
registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
\LMCompatibilityLevel
I changed it from the default 3 to 1. This solved it.

jawdoc

On Sep 20, 9:36 am, jawdoc <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 8:05 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
>

> <nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Some security software may block sharing. This link may help,

> > Vista and Security Software IssuesVista and Security Software Issues. Is not accessible because of Norton Internet Security · Can't find other computer because of Norton ...
> > www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista&security.htm

> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "jawdoc" <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote in messagenews:1190240176.135496.132820@w3g2000hsg.go oglegroups.com...
> > On Sep 19, 3:16 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Can you ping the Vista by IP? If not, check the firewall settings first.

> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > > "jawdoc" <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote in messagenews:1190219075.433659.305590@22g2000hsm.go oglegroups.com...
> > > Here is my setup.
> > > Netgear vpn router at home. Using vpn client software on Windows xp
> > > sp2 to access and establish the vpn router. Connection is successful
> > > and I can ping all the machines on the other side of the router. I can
> > > access share on windows xp machines, windows 2000 server machine but I
> > > cannot access shares on any vista machines. Connection attempt times
> > > out. The shares are there and can be accessed locally.
> > > Any ideas?
> > > Thanks in advance!

> > Yes, I can ping it. I can RDP to it via the vpn. I can see the shares
> > locally on the LAN but I cannot see the shares through the vpn.
> > I can ping to 10.0.5.56 I can RDP to 10.0.5.56 but \\10.0.5.56
> > times out.
> > Any ideas?

> I finally found a solution. I had to change this setting in the
> registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
> \LMCompatibilityLevel
> I changed it from the default 3 to 1. This solved it.- Hide quoted text -

Spoke too soon. For some reason this worked for a while then stopped.
I can access shares on any XP, 2000 machine but not on any Vista
machines.
This is very frustrating. Any ideas on this would be greatly
appreciated!

jawdoc

On Sep 20, 2:38 pm, jawdoc <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote:
> On Sep 20, 9:36 am, jawdoc <drbro...@msoms.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 19, 8:05 pm, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"

> > <nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > Some security software may block sharing. This link may help,

> > > Vista and Security Software IssuesVista and Security Software Issues.Is not accessible because of Norton Internet Security · Can't find othercomputer because of Norton ...
> > > www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista&security.htm

> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com

> > > Yes, I can ping it. I can RDP to it via the vpn. I can see the shares
> > > locally on the LAN but I cannot see the shares through the vpn.
> > > I can ping to 10.0.5.56 I can RDP to 10.0.5.56 but \\10.0.5.56
> > > times out.
> > > Any ideas?

> > I finally found a solution. I had to change this setting in the
> > registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
> > \LMCompatibilityLevel
> > I changed it from the default 3 to 1. This solved it.- Hide quoted text -

> Spoke too soon. For some reason this worked for a while then stopped.
> I can access shares on any XP, 2000 machine but not on any Vista
> machines.
> This is very frustrating. Any ideas on this would be greatly
> appreciated!- Hide quoted text -

Ah! Solved it.
I disabled the VMWare Virtual Adapter and all is well!

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: cannot access shares on vista machine through vpn
Thank you for the feedback.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE