Unable to map Win 98 folder from Vista Premium

Maverick402

Unable to map Win 98 folder from Vista Premium
Everybody in my class is running Win XP and they are able to map their
folders on a Win 98 machine, but I am running Vista and have been unable to
so far. I get "Windows cannot access \\blah blah" error. I have however
been able to map a SAMBA share. I have tried joining the same workgroup as
the 98 machine but still no luck. Any ideas?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unable to map Win 98 folder from Vista Premium
Can you ping win98? Or this search result may help,

Vista Permission IssuesVista can’t access NAS,MAC, Linux, Snap, Samba and Win98of because the NTLMs authentication. Vista can't access external drive. Vista Administrative sharing ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Maverick402" <Maverick402@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DCE4802-D8D4-4BD1-BA02-9949358770FD@microsoft.com...
Everybody in my class is running Win XP and they are able to map their
folders on a Win 98 machine, but I am running Vista and have been unable to
so far. I get "Windows cannot access \\blah blah" error. I have however
been able to map a SAMBA share. I have tried joining the same workgroup as
the 98 machine but still no luck. Any ideas?
Maverick402

Re: Unable to map Win 98 folder from Vista Premium
I have found that secpol.msc fix and already applied it, which is why I was
able to already map a Samba drive. But that did not help the Win 98
situation. I am not able to ping the 98 machine, though it seems the other
people in the class running XP are not able to either... but they CAN map the
folders. The folders to be mapped require authentication.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unable to map Win 98 folder from Vista Premium
It my be a security software block mapping. This link may help,

Vista and Security Software IssuesVista and Security Software Issues. Is not accessible because of Norton Internet Security · Can't find other computer because of Norton ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista&security.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Maverick402" <Maverick402@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1959769B-D624-4976-B65B-68D993E5622E@microsoft.com...
I have found that secpol.msc fix and already applied it, which is why I was
able to already map a Samba drive. But that did not help the Win 98
situation. I am not able to ping the 98 machine, though it seems the other
people in the class running XP are not able to either... but they CAN map the
folders. The folders to be mapped require authentication.

Maverick402

Re: Unable to map Win 98 folder from Vista Premium
I have no security software, it is a bare install of Vista Premium from
scratch. But I can run it in safe mode with networking next time I'm on the
network to make sure. The Samba drive I am able to map is on the same
network so it is quite strange.