Can't save to a mapped network drive

carnivorousapetrick

Can't save to a mapped network drive
The problem--Using Vista/Office 2007, users (now plural) can access files on
their mapped network drive (z:\), but when they go to save them (to Windows
2000 servers), they get: There has been a network or file permission error.
The network connection may be lost. <file name>. Users are confirmed to be
owners of the folders, with full control access. Users can save files via
XP\Office 2003 and XP\office 2007 without problems

What I have done-- In addition to the usual suspects (disabling the
antivirus software and as much Windows security as possible), I have disabled
the web client and offline folders services, created the FormatDatabase Dword
value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
es\Csc\Parameters (all of this from
http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...=810022&page=3). I've tried
disabling remote access 6.0 and saving files directly to a URL.

The only thing that I know that I haven't done is try the hotfix
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;936970. I don't have
the product ID because I'm not currently near the machine, and the users
aren't using terminal services.

Please help

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Can't save to a mapped network drive
Try disable Vista index. Or check this post. Please post back with the result.

There has been a network or file permission error
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=2760#2760

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news812F2E2-4F5A-4D66-AFE8-30E59EDC51B3@microsoft.com...
[...]

I disabled indexing in Control Panel, no luck. I then checked the Windows
search service in services (it appears that the two are related). It was
running. I stopped and disabled it, and still the same error. Keep in mind
that the webclient and offline files services are already stopped and
disabled.

Thanks

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try disable Vista index. Or check this post. Please post back with the result.
>
> There has been a network or file permission error
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=2760#2760
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news812F2E2-4F5A-4D66-AFE8-30E59EDC51B3@microsoft.com...
> The problem--Using Vista/Office 2007, users (now plural) can access files on
> their mapped network drive (z:\), but when they go to save them (to Windows
> 2000 servers), they get: There has been a network or file permission error.
> The network connection may be lost. <file name>. Users are confirmed to be
> owners of the folders, with full control access. Users can save files via
> XP\Office 2003 and XP\office 2007 without problems
>
> What I have done-- In addition to the usual suspects (disabling the
> antivirus software and as much Windows security as possible), I have disabled
> the web client and offline folders services, created the FormatDatabase Dword
> value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
> es\Csc\Parameters (all of this from
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...=810022&page=3). I've tried
> disabling remote access 6.0 and saving files directly to a URL.
>
> The only thing that I know that I haven't done is try the hotfix
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;936970. I don't have
> the product ID because I'm not currently near the machine, and the users
> aren't using terminal services.
>
> Please help

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Can't save to a mapped network drive
This one may help too.

Vista can't rename: The file or folder does not exist
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1649

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46EC3621-5ED0-48A1-BE85-901DD2C21866@microsoft.com...
I disabled indexing in Control Panel, no luck. I then checked the Windows
search service in services (it appears that the two are related). It was
running. I stopped and disabled it, and still the same error. Keep in mind
that the webclient and offline files services are already stopped and
disabled.

Thanks

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try disable Vista index. Or check this post. Please post back with the result.
>
> There has been a network or file permission error
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=2760#2760
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news812F2E2-4F5A-4D66-AFE8-30E59EDC51B3@microsoft.com...
> The problem--Using Vista/Office 2007, users (now plural) can access files on
> their mapped network drive (z:\), but when they go to save them (to Windows
> 2000 servers), they get: There has been a network or file permission error.
> The network connection may be lost. <file name>. Users are confirmed to be
> owners of the folders, with full control access. Users can save files via
> XP\Office 2003 and XP\office 2007 without problems
>
> What I have done-- In addition to the usual suspects (disabling the
> antivirus software and as much Windows security as possible), I have disabled
> the web client and offline folders services, created the FormatDatabase Dword
> value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
> es\Csc\Parameters (all of this from
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...=810022&page=3). I've tried
> disabling remote access 6.0 and saving files directly to a URL.
>
> The only thing that I know that I haven't done is try the hotfix
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;936970. I don't have
> the product ID because I'm not currently near the machine, and the users
> aren't using terminal services.
>
> Please help

carnivorousapetrick

Re: Can't save to a mapped network drive
Robert--

This link describes creating the parameters link and the dword value in the
registry turning off offline files and disabling indexing. As you can see
from the original post in the thread, I've already tried these.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> This one may help too.
>
> Vista can't rename: The file or folder does not exist
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1649
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46EC3621-5ED0-48A1-BE85-901DD2C21866@microsoft.com...
> I disabled indexing in Control Panel, no luck. I then checked the Windows
> search service in services (it appears that the two are related). It was
> running. I stopped and disabled it, and still the same error. Keep in mind
> that the webclient and offline files services are already stopped and
> disabled.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Try disable Vista index. Or check this post. Please post back with the result.
> >
> > There has been a network or file permission error
> > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=2760#2760
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news812F2E2-4F5A-4D66-AFE8-30E59EDC51B3@microsoft.com...
> > The problem--Using Vista/Office 2007, users (now plural) can access files on
> > their mapped network drive (z:\), but when they go to save them (to Windows
> > 2000 servers), they get: There has been a network or file permission error.
> > The network connection may be lost. <file name>. Users are confirmed to be
> > owners of the folders, with full control access. Users can save files via
> > XP\Office 2003 and XP\office 2007 without problems
> >
> > What I have done-- In addition to the usual suspects (disabling the
> > antivirus software and as much Windows security as possible), I have disabled
> > the web client and offline folders services, created the FormatDatabase Dword
> > value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
> > es\Csc\Parameters (all of this from
> > http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...=810022&page=3). I've tried
> > disabling remote access 6.0 and saving files directly to a URL.
> >
> > The only thing that I know that I haven't done is try the hotfix
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;936970. I don't have
> > the product ID because I'm not currently near the machine, and the users
> > aren't using terminal services.
> >
> > Please help

carnivorousapetrick

Re: Can't save to a mapped network drive
Robert--

I got it. I evidently left out a step, or the registry hack was incorrect.
To recap:

*Stop and disable the offline files service and the Windows search service.
*Turn off indexing through control panel.
*Modify the registry--go to HKLM/System/Current Control Set/Services/CSC.
Create a key called Parameters. Create a Dword value within Parameters
called FormatDatabase and set the value to 1.
*Reboot the computer.

The only question remaining is why this had to be done to begin with, but
imagine (hope) it will be resolved in a service pack or update.