Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason

IanMacGillivray

Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason

Hi guys,

Hoping to find some help here. I've got a Sky-issued NetGear 'Super
Wireless ADSL Router DG834GT' which has been functioning fine for a few
months, with various devices able to connect to it without issue.

I recently booted up a 32bit Vista Ultimate desktop with a Belkin
F5D7000 (v6000 UK) network card inside it, on a PCI slot, having
downloaded some 'vista ready' drivers direct from Belkin.

However, I'm unable to connect to the router, on any security setting
(WPA-TFIK, WEP, Unsecured), for reasons I can't seem to figure out. The
not-so-helpful error message I'm getting is "Wireless association failed
due to an unknown reason".

Anyone know of any hints, tips, fixes or workaround here? Let me know
if you need any more info.

Cheers,
Ian.

--
IanMacGillivray
IanMacGillivray's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31324

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

RE: Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason
Have you set up a Wireless Network (SSID) with your Netgear router?
Set it up with a Cat5 cable linked to your desktop.
Double click the netgear icon, or use its IP address in IE7, sign into your
router, and set up a wireless network.
You can change to Wireless on your dektop later on, once it is set up.
The other way is to save settings to mem stick; but you have enough probs.

"IanMacGillivray" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Hoping to find some help here. I've got a Sky-issued NetGear 'Super
> Wireless ADSL Router DG834GT' which has been functioning fine for a few
> months, with various devices able to connect to it without issue.
>
> I recently booted up a 32bit Vista Ultimate desktop with a Belkin
> F5D7000 (v6000 UK) network card inside it, on a PCI slot, having
> downloaded some 'vista ready' drivers direct from Belkin.
>
> However, I'm unable to connect to the router, on any security setting
> (WPA-TFIK, WEP, Unsecured), for reasons I can't seem to figure out. The
> not-so-helpful error message I'm getting is "Wireless association failed
> due to an unknown reason".
>
> Anyone know of any hints, tips, fixes or workaround here? Let me know
> if you need any more info.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian.
>

> --
> IanMacGillivray
> IanMacGillivray's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31324
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=820220
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

IanMacGillivray

Re: Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason

--Have you set up a Wireless Network (SSID) with your Netgear router?
Yup

--Set it up with a Cat5 cable linked to your desktop.
Already done with another desktop.

--Double click the netgear icon, or use its IP address in IE7, sign
into your router, and set up a wireless network.
Already done with another desktop.

--The other way is to save settings to mem stick; but you have enough
probs.
Save what settings?

----

So, to clarify, the router works fine, *wirelessly* with plenty of
other devices, and has the network set up properly etc.

Any other tips? Things to look for? All help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian.

--
IanMacGillivray
IanMacGillivray's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31324
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=820220

http://forums.techarena.in

A Nother

"IanMacGillivray" <IanMacGillivray.2x4hjh@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi guys,
>
> Hoping to find some help here. I've got a Sky-issued NetGear 'Super
> Wireless ADSL Router DG834GT' which has been functioning fine for a few
> months, with various devices able to connect to it without issue.
>
> I recently booted up a 32bit Vista Ultimate desktop with a Belkin
> F5D7000 (v6000 UK) network card inside it, on a PCI slot, having
> downloaded some 'vista ready' drivers direct from Belkin.
>
> However, I'm unable to connect to the router, on any security setting
> (WPA-TFIK, WEP, Unsecured), for reasons I can't seem to figure out. The
> not-so-helpful error message I'm getting is "Wireless association failed
> due to an unknown reason".
>
> Anyone know of any hints, tips, fixes or workaround here? Let me know
> if you need any more info.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian.
>

> --
> IanMacGillivray
> IanMacGillivray's Profile:
> http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31324
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=820220
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

This worked for me after same message:

It turned out to be a Vista problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

has the solution, which involves adding one value to the Windows registry .
My laptop is now connected wirelessly.

1.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit
in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.

2.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the
network adapter that is connected to the network.

3.On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

4.In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then
press ENTER.

5.Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.

6.In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

7.Close Registry Editor.